2001 Transmission/T-Case/Diff/Misc Drivetrain Trauma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have found this forum an invaluable resource for my previous 89 FJ62 and our new family-hauler, a 2001 100. Bought the 01 about five months ago and it's my wife's car, stock with 285 BFGs as the only "mod." Been a great car until last night when the still-undiagnosed transmission/transfer/diff/misc drivetrain problem struck. I wanted to share the details because I know it's been discussed at length here and it may be helpful for others.

Driving normally on interstate, car was loaded (3 kids, two adults + gear) not towing anything, good weather, no prior warning signs. Traveling at 65-70mph. Brief noise like a rumble strip and as soon as wife noticed it, there was an immediate disconnect between engine and drivetrain--that is to say, the engine reved but there was no propulsion. She shifted to neutral, and like a champ moved quickly (coasting) over thru 4 lanes of hwy traffic.

Safely out of traffic, I begin checking things.

T-case was in "H" per standard. Shifting it thru the cycles did nothing. Locking center diff cycle did nothing. Tried moving shifter to all gears also in concert with above cycles, nothing. Tried the rev it, pop in gear suggestion from a related forum post. Put car in park, rocked it hard--park pawl holds the car. One thing I did notice once the car was stopped and sitting roadside: a ticking/light mild grinding noise from t-case area. Trans fluid was clean, not burnt smelling. Didn't crawl under to check t-case fluid because of where i was parked. Didn't yet check diff fluids, but they were fine when it was serviced a month ago. We'll see.

I towed it to my local dealer who despite typically high costs has done great service on this and my prior land cruiser. I cursed like a mo-fo because my 62 NEVER once stranded me (in 11 years...not even a flat!) but everything was, of course, manual--t-case, etc... solid, reliable. Sold that car at 250k and it's still running strong for new owner.

The 01 cruiser has only 90k miles, I've put literally 2000 miles on the car since it was new to us. The only work I knew it needed was a timing belt which was scheduled for next month when we travel out of town. Add in the cost of what I may be facing and I must say I'm about ready to walk and buy something else entirely. Just don't have that "oh what a feeling" toyota reliabilty confidence I had with the other...I'll be worrying about the t-case, or front diffs or whatever to go next. Guess that's par for the course!

Will update on what the service guys tell me the problem is. Would like input on where to take it in the DC area if anyone has any suggestions for a shop or tranny place, that would be great. Thanks!

Thats a bummer, did you service the t-case when you did the diffs? Those three are usually done at the same time.

fluids were checked, topped when i bought the car (4-5 mos ago) and checked a couple months ago at a quickie service. yes.

UPDATE

So local dealer tells me it's definately transmission, but the only assessment they did was a stethoscope. gonna take it for a second opinion but i have no idea where, so I'd welcome any opinions for tranny shops in NoVa/DC/Md. Dealer is quoting me $2700 for a Toyota re-man'd part, decent warranty, plus $1000 labor to install.

It sounded to me like the torque converter/drive plate based on other threads. Search around and see what happens. IIRC there are 2 common failure modes for this trans. I do not recall reading about anyone having T-case issues... all from memory here and most of what I read about Trans failure I try to block out anyway so I don't worry about it constantly...

You may already know this having had a 62, but Iron Pig is in Fredericksburg. May be worth the tow to take it to a specialty shop.

Thanks for the input, gang. got a PM from a board member here with a good local NoVa recommendation on a shop so i'll try that before sucking it up and dealing with the dealer. I will say, despite their high prices, i have had very good luck and good treatment with two cruisers over 14 years at jack taylor/alexandria toyota.

Mine did exactly this. It is is the tranny. Mine was under warranty. Hope yours turns out well.

Sorry for burrying the key stats, yes, 90k miles. should have put her stats first! Dealer is installing a toyota reman tranny now. will keep you posted as anything else develops. diagnosis consisted of listening to it idle with a stethoscope. they said they don't even pull them apart anymore, just swap out because the cost dif is marginal. new tranny is 3700 (less 1000 for old core) plus 1000 for install. gulp.

Piece of mind is worth $3700 plus tax. If you're out in the boonies standing on the gas you'll feel better knowing it's a full rebuild by Toy's chosen re-builder.

Good opportunity to have them use a synthetic fluid if your into that.

So is there any way to determine if it was the torque converter? My TC was replaced when I bought my '03 used at a dealership. They had a mechanic from Toyota headquarters come listen and feel the slight rumble and slight power loss, he decided they needed to replace my TC. The problem was actually an overfilled crankcase, but interesting they were so quick to replace the TC with so few symptoms, that could have been a lot of other things they didn't check. Makes me suspicious this is a fairly common problem, hopefully my new TC is somehow upgraded to prevent this.

So is there any way to determine if it was the torque converter? My TC was replaced when I bought my '03 used at a dealership. They had a mechanic from Toyota headquarters come listen and feel the slight rumble and slight power loss, he decided they needed to replace my TC. The problem was actually an overfilled crankcase, but interesting they were so quick to replace the TC with so few symptoms, that could have been a lot of other things they didn't check. Makes me suspicious this is a fairly common problem, hopefully my new TC is somehow upgraded to prevent this.

The 03+ uses a different transmissions as you know with torque converters of different sizes. I'm sure internally they are similar but not identical.

Why/How did it fail?

Well can't comment on if the TC failed, but in my accord when the trans went out it started to cannibalize third gear until there was so much material clogging the filter that i lost hydraulic pressure and it just fell out of gear.

failure was with no warning at highway speed. went from normal, to a very brief sound of driving over a rumble strip, to then no power.

Btw, thx for adding me to registry. build is 08/00

After reading all of these threads I am hoping I am not going to have the same problem. Just bought this 2000 LC with 162K. There were some issues but have worked through them. Now when shifting between drive and reverse there seems to be a clunk sound. checked all the u-joints and greased, all looked good. Any ideas. Or should I just run it over to a tranny shop and see what they think. this is the only sound that I am hearing and runs out on interstate with no issues.
Richard

After reading all of these threads I am hoping I am not going to have the same problem. Just bought this 2000 LC with 162K. There were some issues but have worked through them. Now when shifting between drive and reverse there seems to be a clunk sound. checked all the u-joints and greased, all looked good. Any ideas. Or should I just run it over to a tranny shop and see what they think. this is the only sound that I am hearing and runs out on interstate with no issues.
Richard

Richard my 99 LC clunked from drive to reverse so did one of my 2004's, it's just slack in the driveline. Grease the 6 grease fittings every 5k like your doing. Don't buy any problems you don't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom