2000 LX470 Transmission Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2000 LX470 with 41,000 miles is at Lexus getting a remanufactured transmission put in. It appears that I got one with the bad shim in the overdrive clutch pack which FJ55-100 has mentioned.

Does any one have an idea if I can tell whether the new transmission has the correct shim?
Any idea who rebuilds the transmissions?

My warranty is about to expire in a month. Anything else I should check before the warranty expires.

Thanks.
Andrew
2000 Lexus LX470
Austin, TX

Can you do me a favor and please post a link to the fj55's post? I just tried searching and came up with nothing. Thanks!

The OEM remanufacturer for Toyota in the US is AWTEC. They have been working with Toyota since the introduction of Toyota's reman program in the mid 80's. The reman unit will be updated.

D-

The reman unit will also have (at least) a 1 year warranty - P/L I believe.

DougM

asked this in a separate thread, but: does this problem also affect 95-97 80s with the A343F?

My understanding is that it only affected the 2000 and 2001 model Lexus for sure and maybe the Tundra/LC for 2000 and 2001 and that it was caused by a supplier that they quit using for the 2002 model year. It was a bad run of shim's. Just what I understood. I've never heard of many transmission problems with the 343's or the 442's.

I have a 2000 LC that appears to be having a transmission problem. Wife calls and tells me that when she puts the LC in R or D, the engine dies. I go look at it and the engine runs smooth and transmission shifter shifts smooth but once you stop anywhere but P or D the engine dies. We have not had any problems or unusual sounds from the transmission. The LC has 104,000 miles on it and we had an extended Toyota warr. until 100,000. (just my luck)

Any suggestions? Thanks
Kevin

My understanding is that it only affected the 2000 and 2001 model Lexus for sure and maybe the Tundra/LC for 2000 and 2001 and that it was caused by a supplier that they quit using for the 2002 model year. It was a bad run of shim's. Just what I understood. I've never heard of many transmission problems with the 343's or the 442's.

I've only seen folks with the 2000 100's having this problem. I haven't seen any '01's with it yet. Since my 100 is an '01 I would have been very interested in any '01's having this issue. Just trying to be as accurate as possible.

1. Does the manufacturer or any consumer reporting agency produce any data saying by the year such and such, this percent of the vehicles of this certain model produced in this year suffer from such and such problem?

2. Around what mileage have these been typically happening?

3. What are the signs, if any, suggesting that the transmission is failing? Too much metal when you drop the pan? Hard shifting? Anything?

There is a TSB on a problem with the HDJ100 converter on vehicles produced up to 5 June 2001. AFAIK the auto gearbox is the same as on the UZJ, so the converter might be similar too.
The TSB is titled "ATM JUDDER - new Torque Converter CP1018_1_1", and says "Torque Converter has been modified to improve driveability such as reducing judder during hard braking."
I just got this problem on my car, which is pre June 2001. It appears to stay in lock-up when braking. Such that if coming to a halt from a speed higher than the lock-up-limit, the engine will stall. - If you don't manually shift out of D, to either 2 or N.
The remedy, says the TSB, is to change the converter to a modified type.
Here, those who experienced the problem within the warranty period, or not too long after, got the converter changed for free. While those lower milage ones, where the problem appeared only after 5 years, have to buy a new converter for $ 3 K, plus labour.
The problem seems to come between 70 and 100 k km.
Maybe there is a TSB for the US market as well?

Thanks for the great post.

So if it is a 100 built before June 5, 2000, the risk of tranny failure is there. I will check today when mine was built.

Once again, thanks for the very informative post.

Great info and great post.

Where would one find the date manufactured on the vehicle?

This will help in finding the year of manufactur and the sequence of production off the vin number. From the sequence number, I do not know how to extract information about the date it was manufactured. Will take some research.....

Carfax provides a date with the comment: "Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer ". I do not know if this is the date it was manufactured or the date it was received by the dealer.

Just to clarify:
The TSB referred to is for European HDJ100 models. If the UZJ100 has had the same converter problem, it is not necessarily up to the same production date.
For the HDJ100, the first VIN with the new converter is JTEHC05J904005603.

This will help in finding the year of manufactur and the sequence of production off the vin number. From the sequence number, I do not know how to extract information about the date it was manufactured. Will take some research.....

The month and year of manufacture is written on the sticker in your driver's door jamb. If you're looking for the date of manufacture of the transmission, I'm not sure if there's any way to find out other than by maybe a serial number on the tranny, if there is one (I know the engine has one).

Jim, the date on the door's jamb (is that what it is called?) is 10/99. So I do fall within the range of possibility of failure of the tranny, it seems.

I am going to new thread for 98 -00 owners who have experienced tranny failure.

"Torque Converter has been modified to improve driveability such as reducing judder during hard braking."
I just got this problem on my car, which is pre June 2001. It appears to stay in lock-up when braking. Such that if coming to a halt from a speed higher than the lock-up-limit, the engine will stall. - If you don't manually shift out of D, to either 2 or N.

Can it be tested by applying hard braking to bring the car to a stop from high speed?

Is this a symptom that you can reproduce regularly?

What does lock up mean? The time it takes the tranny to shift gears?

I would like to test this on my vehicle.

I searched the NHTSA website for TSB's on the 00-01 US-market LC and can't find anything related to the transmission. Anyone else know of anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom