2000 LX470 Transmission Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

few points...

Hi

If engine dies when A/T is set to move vehicle, it may be the converter hard-coupling engine and transmission - could be converter failure, but I am no A/T expert...

Or it could be some electrical signal that is not telling the engine to increase power to maintain the drive... I am not an ECU or what expert either... sorry.

Maybe it can be judged by the way the engine dies? Is it very abrubt?

The HDJ and the UZ (even until 2002) runs to my knowledge different A/T's, the A442 for the diesels and the A343 for the gas ones. The A442 seems to have a known problem with the converter, the A343 should not be affected by that. But it can give problems, I have expirienced (another thread...)

Can it be tested by applying hard braking to bring the car to a stop from high speed?

Is this a symptom that you can reproduce regularly?

What does lock up mean? The time it takes the tranny to shift gears?

I would like to test this on my vehicle.
A bit late, but...

1 Yes. With OD off (provides lock-up in 3rd) braking from a speed higher than 60 km/h (38 m/h).
With OD on, it is harder to reproduce regularly and easily. Speed before braking must be higher.

2 Yes. Maybe easier when the ATF/M is still somewhat cold.

3 Lock-up is when you have a fixed (no slippage) connection from engine to gearbox (sorry, not very eloquent). A feature of modern converters.

4 Check your rear first....

I saw on the carfax as I just purchased my 2000 LX that the manufacture and ship date was 5/30/2000. Has the date really been identified as 6/5/2000 as the safe date, and am I at risk? Any symptoms to look for?

There isn't enough empirical data to narrow down a date range, let alone one specific date. Mine was built in may of 2000 IIRC, and runs great with 138k on it.

My 2001 with 120k is now looking for a new transmission. Anyone know how difficult it will be to source a remand transmission?

2nd time this year it’s left me stranded, starting to think I’m driving a LR.

My 2001 with 120k is now looking for a new transmission. Anyone know how difficult it will be to source a remand transmission?

What makes you think you need a new transmission?

Yesterday after driving for about 40 minutes on the freeway, I went to stop at an off ramp by my house. Truck started shaking and vibrating pretty heavily as I came to a stop. I accelerated through and made it to my house just as the truck died. It starts up and runs fine in neutral, but as soon as I put it into gear it dies.

AAA towed it to a local shop this morning. I called later in the day to get their diagnosis. They basically said it is a transmission failure, but they needed more time to figure out the exact problem. He said it’s likely going to need a replacement transmission.

I hear you on the LR comment, too. From the outside looking in (and the reason the values stay so high) is because everyone just sees Toyota dependability, and they are super dependable, but the story is obviously not that rosy even as much as I love these.

Last edited:
So here it is a few year after the last post in this thread and I am dead in the water with no transmission on my 2000 LX. On the highway 75mph, no vibration, no shake, nothing just the engine Revs went crazy has in neutral and applying the gas! Transmission oil doesn't smell, no residue in it, nothing. just no engagement whatsoever. is there ANY way to know FOR SURE It's blown? I paid $1800 to tow it from NM to L.A. and although it would suck to know it's something easy to fix after spending that much I still would rather that I guess. I have 228K on it and have driven it pretty hard for the last 50K or so with heavy off-road for sure. but it had given me no sign.

is there ANY way to know FOR SURE It's blown?

Drain and drop the pan and see what's in it, and stuck to the magnets. A trans. shop could do this for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom