2000 LX470 - how many miles once that light goes on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve never really pushed it and don't intend to…but was wondering how many miles you generally have left once the low fuel light comes on.

Last edited:
I believe that when the light comes on I fill up around 21 gallons. What do our rigs hold, 26? I usually try to get fuel in her within 30 miles of the light and obviously sooner if possible. Usually right around 300 miles on the trip is time for a fill up.

1634333560332.png

You really can't expect to get all the mileage mathematically possible out of the fuel tank; it has a sump which is below the fuel pickup. You can't get that gas into the engine, by design. It's there to allow crap in the fuel to settle out and NOT get into the engine.

My butt always puckers if my fuel gets that low. My uncle has been a mechanic for 50+ years and all I ever heard growing up was "Don't trust those g## da## gauges" and "You have any idea how much sh## is in the bottom of the tank you are gonna start sucking up and :: insert 40 minute technical lecture on topics I have no idea about::

You really can't expect to get all the mileage mathematically possible out of the fuel tank; it has a sump which is below the fuel pickup. You can't get that gas into the engine, by design. It's there to allow crap in the fuel to settle out and NOT get into the engine.

Not to mention if you experience any significant inclines or off-camber situations, there may not be fuel present at the pick up when that low.

My butt always puckers if my fuel gets that low. My uncle has been a mechanic for 50+ years and all I ever heard growing up was "Don't trust those g## da## gauges" and "You have any idea how much sh## is in the bottom of the tank you are gonna start sucking up and :: insert 40 minute technical lecture on topics I have no idea about::
Pretty much why, to this very day, I will never run any vehicle below 1/4 tank. "You're gonna suck all that crud up into your filters!"

Not to mention if you experience any significant inclines or off-camber situations, there may not be fuel present at the pick up when that low.
I actually had this happend frequently in my 40; I had to remember which way to park on a hill or I'd "run out of gas" when the fuel was low in the tank!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom