2000 LC | Lock Actuator / Remote Programming Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all, I want to thank everyone in aggregate for being such a great resource for new owners; I picked up a 2000 LC late last year and the expertise and testimonials here have been invaluable. Thank you.

My issue:
When I bought the truck it was supplied with a single non-remote master key (verified as master via the usual process). I also noticed the driver door lock wouldn't engage unless either done manually from the inside or outside with the key. Other locks seemed to work with the switch. I got a fob key cut by a locksmith so I could stash away the original. He verified that he couldn't program the remote until the driver door lock was fixed. Wasn't a big deal at the time so I let it go until I had some other service to get done, and a reputable local place replaced the entire lock assembly, fixing the driver door lock issue which now works like a charm. [Insert my head shaking when I found the videos/posts showing how to replace just the actuator motor for 5 bucks apiece. No comment necessary...moving on!] I assumed now I could program the fob.

Unfortunately not. I can go through the programming sequence as detailed on this forum by others, and the vehicle does successfully enter programming mode after flicking the lock 5x twice and turning ignition to ON. It also gives me confirmation of programming after hitting lock/unlock then lock on the fob as expected. I'll close the door to leave the programming mode, and when I try to use lock or unlock on the fob--nothing. I've tried doing the lock/unlock sequence both with the electronic door switch and manually with the handle lock throw lever--same result with either.

What I've learned in the meantime in this summer heat is that the other door lock actuators (all 4 of them) are quite short on life and really only give me about one throw of the lock before punking out. My assumption, right or wrong, is that programming the remote must require some feedback loop to be intact between all the locks which need to all be functional. So I bought 4 of those little hobby motors to replace in the actuators myself. My fear is that after sweating my butt off in the middle of a Tennessee summer gutting the 3 passenger doors and the hatch and probably breaking some piece of plastic during the journey, I'll be left with very functional door locks but still a key fob that won't program.

Is there something I'm not considering here? Any help is appreciated.

this is a good question - I'm 3 actuators ahead of you wondering a similar thing. I seem to get the fob functionality easily enough, but I can't get the computer to accept another key through the ECU programming steps. Other than an inconvenient PITA replacing the actuator motor is one banana material after you've been through it once.

I do think there is something to having all 5 (doors and hatch) in proper working order to have any hope of the programming sequence working out.

@Mauser is the leading forum guru on this subject I believe.

this is a good question - I'm 3 actuators ahead of you wondering a similar thing. I seem to get the fob functionality easily enough, but I can't get the computer to accept another key through the ECU programming steps. Other than an inconvenient PITA replacing the actuator motor is one banana material after you've been through it once.

I do think there is something to having all 5 (doors and hatch) in proper working order to have any hope of the programming sequence working out.

@Mauser is the leading forum guru on this subject I believe.
Interesting. So you are able to use the fob lock/unlock functions but the key itself on the fob isn’t usable because the ECU won’t accept it?

The key fob I had cut off the master that came with the truck works fine as a key—truck seems to recognize it as a master and it starts the engine. It just won’t work the locks! I agree with you though, even if replacing the other 4 actuator motors doesn’t get the fob to work, it was still a necessary undertaking.

I have two suggestions.

1. Memory might be full - try to program it in erasure mode by turning the key on and off twice( if my memory serves me correctly ) instead of once at the end of the programming initiation process. That will erase all the remote info in the memory and program current remote.

2. key might be faulty - I got this key from amazon and it has been working flawlessly. Don't cut the key - you need to use old/original key in the ignition while initiating the programming - and push the new key buttons at the end of the process - if it works, then program the immobilizer of the new key and swap the internal - if it doesn't work, return the key. I am not sure if amazon link is allowed here - please erase if not. no affiliation.

Amazon product ASIN B09QY3K8KL
start simple and go from there.

I have two suggestions.

1. Memory might be full - try to program it in erasure mode by turning the key on and off twice( if my memory serves me correctly ) instead of once at the end of the programming initiation process. That will erase all the remote info in the memory and program current remote.

2. key might be faulty - I got this key from amazon and it has been working flawlessly. Don't cut the key - you need to use old/original key in the ignition while initiating the programming - and push the new key buttons at the end of the process - if it works, then program the immobilizer of the new key and swap the internal - if it doesn't work, return the key. I am not sure if amazon link is allowed here - please erase if not. no affiliation.

Amazon product ASIN B09QY3K8KL
start simple and go from there.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try #1 and update here later. I’ll also go ahead and order a new key because would like one anyway so thanks for the recommendation!

Sorry the key in the link is for my 2000 lx470. It won’t work for LC. The blade style is different. I believe internals are the same. But look for the right key from a reputable seller and try that one instead @DrJimVipers

Last edited:
A 100 series will only accept 5 "Masters" and 3 "Valets." It is possible you are having trouble because you have too many keys programmed or you are trying to program a key without a chip.

My issue is the alleged "Master" will not let me enter programming mode.

1. Be aware a new key has to be programmed twice, with two separate sequences - one for the engine start transponder, one for the power lock remote.
2. Transponder Key Programming - https://tlcfaq.com/main/2013/02/key-programming/ is a good resource for the engine start transponder
3. Remote Transponder Key Programming - https://tlcfaq.com/main/2013/07/remote-key-programming/ is a good resource for the power lock remote
4. Different years required different frequencies - my 2005 wouldn't program initially with the ebay key I bought, needed alternate frequency. I think there are 2 options.
5. There is a thread in the 100 series FAQ that may also be helpful

First of all, I want to thank everyone in aggregate for being such a great resource for new owners; I picked up a 2000 LC late last year and the expertise and testimonials here have been invaluable. Thank you.

My issue:
When I bought the truck it was supplied with a single non-remote master key (verified as master via the usual process). I also noticed the driver door lock wouldn't engage unless either done manually from the inside or outside with the key. Other locks seemed to work with the switch. I got a fob key cut by a locksmith so I could stash away the original. He verified that he couldn't program the remote until the driver door lock was fixed. Wasn't a big deal at the time so I let it go until I had some other service to get done, and a reputable local place replaced the entire lock assembly, fixing the driver door lock issue which now works like a charm. [Insert my head shaking when I found the videos/posts showing how to replace just the actuator motor for 5 bucks apiece. No comment necessary...moving on!] I assumed now I could program the fob.

Unfortunately not. I can go through the programming sequence as detailed on this forum by others, and the vehicle does successfully enter programming mode after flicking the lock 5x twice and turning ignition to ON. It also gives me confirmation of programming after hitting lock/unlock then lock on the fob as expected. I'll close the door to leave the programming mode, and when I try to use lock or unlock on the fob--nothing. I've tried doing the lock/unlock sequence both with the electronic door switch and manually with the handle lock throw lever--same result with either.

What I've learned in the meantime in this summer heat is that the other door lock actuators (all 4 of them) are quite short on life and really only give me about one throw of the lock before punking out. My assumption, right or wrong, is that programming the remote must require some feedback loop to be intact between all the locks which need to all be functional. So I bought 4 of those little hobby motors to replace in the actuators myself. My fear is that after sweating my butt off in the middle of a Tennessee summer gutting the 3 passenger doors and the hatch and probably breaking some piece of plastic during the journey, I'll be left with very functional door locks but still a key fob that won't program.

Is there something I'm not considering here? Any help is appreciated.
Did you ever replace all five actuators and tried again? or get another key and tried? I am having the same exact problem as yours. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom