200 series loud engine ticking under load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. I’ve inherited a 2007 200 series from my late father. I’m in New Zealand so it has the 4.5l twin turbo v8.

I’m having an annoying issue with it. After startup it is really clacky. But only when accelerating. I can’t hear it at idle. It’s worst at low speeds and when slowly accelerating. It’ll pretty much disappear after the engine warms up and I can make it go away or come back sometimes by giving it more or less throttle. There still is a tapping noise once it’s warmed up but it’s much quieter and I’ve never had one of these cars before so I don’t know what’s normal. Is this a common/serious thing?

Hi. I’ve inherited a 2007 200 series from my late father. I’m in New Zealand so it has the 4.5l twin turbo v8.

I’m having an annoying issue with it. After startup it is really clacky. But only when accelerating. I can’t hear it at idle. It’s worst at low speeds and when slowly accelerating. It’ll pretty much disappear after the engine warms up and I can make it go away or come back sometimes by giving it more or less throttle. There still is a tapping noise once it’s warmed up but it’s much quieter and I’ve never had one of these cars before so I don’t know what’s normal. Is this a common/serious thing?
A lot of us on here are in the US and we can't get the diesel here. That said I've had plenty of diesel vehicles and it's normal for it to be a little noisey while the oil gets back to where it goes. What oil are you using in it?

Depending on the sound some cruisers have a ticking sound when the exhaust headers crack. It was a common issue on the Petrel 100 series

A lot of us on here are in the US and we can't get the diesel here. That said I've had plenty of diesel vehicles and it's normal for it to be a little noisey while the oil gets back to where it goes. What oil are you using in it?
The last oil change was done at a Toyota dealership. Can’t remember the exact grade but I have to assume they put the correct oil in it….

I do expect a bit of noise from a diesel, I’ve had diesels before. It’s just really loud. Like a wrecked big end bearing but only intermittently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom