200 series buying decision and first impressions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When deciding on what to replace my 80 series with, I read tons of forum threads and reviews from those in the same predicament. So I thought I would write up this post as a data point for anyone that may be faced with a similar decision.

Not that there was anything particularly wrong with the 80, but the maintenance was increasing and my wife was getting more nervous about the lack of safety features when traveling with our young children. My short list was essentially down to a new 4runner trail or used 100 series. I live in Utah and most of my off road driving is forest roads/trails to get to camping and fishing spots. Maybe once or twice a year I will do a dedicated “four wheeling” outing with friends. So my requirements were basically comfort for long distance dirt road driving, durability/reliability, and general family duties.

After checking out a few 100 series, it seemed the ones that were reasonably priced needed more work than my 80 to get caught up on maintenance so we focused on the 4 runner. My wife and I made a few trips to the dealership and did some test drives, but neither of us really loved the vehicle. Unfortunately, in the US market, there just aren’t a lot of options for body on frame 4x4’s (I used to have a built Jeep and wasn’t going down that road again)…but I didn’t want to drop $40k on a vehicle that we weren’t really in love with. So the Toyota salesman we had been working with suggested we check out a used 200.

I wasn’t too excited about that either since most of what I had read online had been negative towards the vehicle… “not really a landcruiser”, “why the 200 is the worst selling suv in america”, etc. etc. We did however give a look over and take it for a drive. Although a bit larger than the 80, it was definitely a landcruiser driving experience…except it was quiet, comfortable, powerful, and smooth. With mud tires and a magnaflow exhaust, the 80 hits about 78db in the cabin at 75mph, not exactly helpful in the driver and passenger fatigue department. What I also liked about the 200 was everything was pretty familiar to the 80 (in terms of layout), just updated and improved. Looking underneath, the frame and drivetrain again were similar in build quality to the 80 and a definite step above the 4 runner. I was getting sold.

When a 2014 CPO came up in the area that was salsa red (my 80 is medium red) and in our price range, I went down and checked it out. Made the dealer an offer and drove it home that night.

A few weeks after the purchase, we decided to take the 200 instead of the 80 on our trip to Ouray. The kids were excited at the prospect of watching a movie on the rear screen and the wife was excited for a little more quiet and comfort. The 200 handled the miles really well and we netted about 18mpg which was impressive considering I’m usually happy with 14mpg hwy with the 80 and 160 less hp.

We ran governor basin, yankee boy basin, engineer, and imogene while in Ouray and the 200 handled them all extremely well in stock form. My 4 year old actually slept the entire way up Engineer. Engineer was actually the only place I felt the ATRAC kick in as it was raining pretty good and some of the rocks were slick.

The only interesting experience I wasn’t expecting is that there were lots of let’s say “concerned citizens” out on the trails. A guy in an FJ flagged us down on the way up yankee boy and told us he wouldn’t have made it up without his locker and made sure we had a low range available (guess he thought it was a highlander J). We made it up yankee boy without even engaging the center diff lock. On engineer we had a number of Jeeps warn us about how rough the road was, I just thanked them and continued on. My wife was wondering why this didn’t happen last time we were in Ouray…well we were in our 6” lifted, long armed Jeep so we “looked the part.” Anyway, I thought all the comments were funny and took it as a testament to the unassuming capability that all stock landcruiser wagons possess.

All in all, the 200 was extremely comfortable on 6 hours of highway driving, ran all through the Ouray trails with absolutely no issues. The front and side cameras were an awesome feature for tire placement and also provided a little more confidence on the shelf roads. KDSS is also impressive as we never came close to lifting a tire.

Some downsides…the 200 is large with poor departure angle and the rocker height is quite low…but this is true of all the wagon cruisers. My 80 has horrible departure angle and the rocker height is also relatively low compared to more offroad oriented SUV’s. Just like the 80, sliders will be one of my first mods. I would have liked to have the option for lockers, but honestly there are only a handful of trails that I use the rear locker on my 80 and there’s only really one time I can think of that I really needed the front locker. I’m hopeful that the ATRAC and crawl control features will be adequate for my uses. Also, the interior is a bit dated for a vehicle in this price range although it is functional for the most part. I would like to see the center stack under the radio be opened up for phone/junk storage instead of the ash tray/cig lighter combo. The tech interfaces aren’t state of the art, but again functional. I am also noticing a bit of rust on the frame that I’m going to have to deal with. I’m not sure what Toyota did to the 80 frames, but that thing lived in Michigan for a lot of its life and it is just now starting to rust on the welds after 23 years.

In conclusion, I’m glad I didn’t overlook the 200. It’s every bit, and a lot more landcruiser than my 80 is. When they are side by side it becomes apparent how well built the 200 is. It’s a shame that sales are so low in the US, but I can understand why. I hope to have the 200 for many years to come…oh and keep an eye on the classifieds for a locked ‘94…

DSC_0392.jpg

Nice write-up, thanks for taking the time. BTW, they did open up that slot under the radio, 16+ it's an open box with cig lighter on the left and the base is a qi wireless charging fixture.

Congrats !

Welcome!

Beautiful LC, and the best color. Sorry to hear of the rust already on a 3 year old LC!

Congrats. Yes they are Tanks. I think the 200 is the most reliable and highest quality vehicle built. I've owned FZJ80, 4-100 series and this LX is my 2nd 200 Series.

Congrats on the new truck! Did you get that from the dealer down in Orem?

If so, I almost bought it. I hope they replaced the KDSS valve for you as it was rusted. Other than that it looked like a nice truck!

Thanks for the comments! I'm loving the rig so far, it's interesting to me that so many (even cruiser folks) seem to have a negative opinion of it.

@fireball yeah this is the one. As I mentioned it had a bit more rust on it than ideal but I'm from Michigan so this thing is super clean by those standards. I offered them quite a bit less than they were asking so I took it as is, we'll see how it goes. I was actually set to look at it a few days before I bought it and they told me it was sold to guy in PA...so I guess that was you :)

Thanks for the comments! I'm loving the rig so far, it's interesting to me that so many (even cruiser folks) seem to have a negative opinion of it.

Many folks always poo poo the latest wagon. Then usually as they decrease in price and are more easily attainable that opinion magically changes. :lol: The 200 hasn't been dogged nearly as much as the 100 was when it introduced IFS to the LC platform. Then after years of depreciation and pics/threads on this forum the 100 now has a great reputation off road (and on of course).

Great write up also!

Great write up. I've been considering the 200 for many of the same reasons - I too ride around in a locked 80 and we just added another member to our family 8 months ago.

My hang up is the dimensions (at this time anyways, it'll probably be something different next month)
Series - Length - Height - Width - Track Width
200 - 195 - 74 - 77.6 - 64
80 - 189.8 - 73.6 - 76 - 63

With length as the exception, the others are within an 1". However, where I live (PNW), I do quite a few wooded 4WD trails where anything wider or longer then my 80 and I'm rubbing paint or bark off. And I already get significant pin-striping on the forest roads in Mt. Hood and Willamette NFs. There is a part of me that loves the styling and appeal of the 80 that says sink money into more power, better gearing, quieter cabin, etc. And then there is a part of me that says give it up and go with a 200 or GX460 (since GX460 and 80 have the same dimensions and they are less $$).

Maybe I'm just too fickle and need to speak with a phsych or someone.

insert: "First world problems!" here.

I have an FJ62 a FZJ80 and now a new 200 series. I won't get into any off-road capabilities discussion because all of that depends on what you want to use your vehicle for, however, I just completed a 5000 mile one-way trip up to Alaska from the Midwest in my new 200 series and I couldn't have ask for a better riding and more comfortable vehicle. Fully loaded and with an equally full rack on top I averaged close to 18 mpg even with considerable mountain driving. If I were to wreck this vehicle tomorrow I'd buy another one in a heart beat. I look forward to being on the river for the next 6 weeks guiding, but I also look forward to another long trip home. This vehicle is fantastic and getting even better with the few mods I have done so far.

Don't know what I am most jealous of

Your fj62 or your alone Alaska road trip!

I miss my 60 and 62. Good ole days ....

I have an FJ62 a FZJ80 and now a new 200 series. I won't get into any off-road capabilities discussion because all of that depends on what you want to use your vehicle for, however, I just completed a 5000 mile one-way trip up to Alaska from the Midwest in my new 200 series and I couldn't have ask for a better riding and more comfortable vehicle. Fully loaded and with an equally full rack on top I averaged close to 18 mpg even with considerable mountain driving. If I were to wreck this vehicle tomorrow I'd buy another one in a heart beat. I look forward to being on the river for the next 6 weeks guiding, but I also look forward to another long trip home. This vehicle is fantastic and getting even better with the few mods I have done so far.

Just a comment on lockers. I have front and rear e-lockers and have yet to encounter anything that ATRAC or Crawl couldn't handle. I did use the rear locker out of convenience and peace of mind in Moab but Crawl would have worked as well.

On a side note, I did Yankee, Governors, and Imogene yesterday and never needed anything beyond 4 low and center diff locked.

Haven't had the privilege of using ATRAC or Crawl. I have had to use my lockers though. Most of the time it is on dedicated 4WD trails in Tillamook SF or during snow-wheeling. If I know I'm doing a difficult trail, I'll begin with the center locked and maybe twist the rear diff lock on. I may attempt an obstacle with the front unlocked, but if I'm unsure at all or struggle on the obstacle, the front gets locked. After that, GAME OVER.
Last weekend I was taking a long way out from a camp spot. Pretty rough/steep road that was 30-35 miles long. I was in 4HI the whole way. About an hour and a half in, I encounter a gnarly washout. Stop, get out, walk it, decide to try getting through, identify some hazardous off-camber spots and very loose dirt, and some possible winch anchor points. Also, I was solo. So I lock front and back and push through. I'm not even sure I slipped. I was honestly nervous - the off-camber spot was sloped down a mountain - but I was grinning ear to ear when I finished, high-fiving my dog. I'd post a video but it's lame since I suck at making videos and nothing is ever as gnarly in pic/video as in person.

More of a rhetorical question since you have no idea what I'm talking about but, would the 200 have made it?

I ask myself this as part of the decision to move from a 80 to 200. That's how it's related to the thread, ICYMI.

Great write up. I've been considering the 200 for many of the same reasons - I too ride around in a locked 80 and we just added another member to our family 8 months ago.

My hang up is the dimensions (at this time anyways, it'll probably be something different next month)
Series - Length - Height - Width - Track Width
200 - 195 - 74 - 77.6 - 64
80 - 189.8 - 73.6 - 76 - 63

With length as the exception, the others are within an 1". However, where I live (PNW), I do quite a few wooded 4WD trails where anything wider or longer then my 80 and I'm rubbing paint or bark off. And I already get significant pin-striping on the forest roads in Mt. Hood and Willamette NFs. There is a part of me that loves the styling and appeal of the 80 that says sink money into more power, better gearing, quieter cabin, etc. And then there is a part of me that says give it up and go with a 200 or GX460 (since GX460 and 80 have the same dimensions and they are less $$).

Maybe I'm just too fickle and need to speak with a phsych or someone.

insert: "First world problems!" here.

I went through the same back and forth - it took us over a year to finally make a decision. The 80 is such a great rig it's hard to find anything that can compare to it. I forgot to mention in my writeup that I also test drove a GX460 in process, nice vehicle but again just didn't have that cruiser feel and I couldn't get past the new styling and the inability to easily remove the third row - the floor height is really high in the cargo area due to the fold down rear seats. Also the big barn door just seemed like it would get to be cumbersome over time. With that said, a friend of mine had a nicely built GX470 and it was a very capable and comfortable vehicle.

As far as size comparison to the 80, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in day to day driving. The wheelbase is the same so it's really just a couple of inches on the overhangs to make up the difference in length. The second row legroom is where the difference has been most apparent. Both my kids are in car seats and in the 80 their feet were right in the back of the front seats and in the 200 there is a few more inches of legroom for them in the back seat.

I can't really comment on how much of a difference the size would make in tight trails as most of what I'm driving is open desert and mountain roads that aren't too dense, but when I was in Ouray last week I never felt inhibited by the size of the vehicle.

Just a comment on lockers. I have front and rear e-lockers and have yet to encounter anything that ATRAC or Crawl couldn't handle. I did use the rear locker out of convenience and peace of mind in Moab but Crawl would have worked as well.

On a side note, I did Yankee, Governors, and Imogene yesterday and never needed anything beyond 4 low and center diff locked.

Yeah it is nice to know the lockers are there if you need them, and I used my rear locker in the 80 many times when it wasn't totally necessary just to be able to drive more passively and not stress the vehicle as much when going over obstacles. The one time I was really thankful to have the front locker wasn't even in an offroad situation - a couple of winters ago, I was parking on the side of a road to access some ski terrain and went too far and fell through the "plow wash". The thing was totally buried but the front locker pulled me right out - without it I probably would have been digging for awhile or getting a tow.

Agreed on the Ouray stuff, it's not terribly challenging from an offroad perspective but the performance of the 200 was impressive nonetheless.

Haven't had the privilege of using ATRAC or Crawl. I have had to use my lockers though. Most of the time it is on dedicated 4WD trails in Tillamook SF or during snow-wheeling. If I know I'm doing a difficult trail, I'll begin with the center locked and maybe twist the rear diff lock on. I may attempt an obstacle with the front unlocked, but if I'm unsure at all or struggle on the obstacle, the front gets locked. After that, GAME OVER.
Last weekend I was taking a long way out from a camp spot. Pretty rough/steep road that was 30-35 miles long. I was in 4HI the whole way. About an hour and a half in, I encounter a gnarly washout. Stop, get out, walk it, decide to try getting through, identify some hazardous off-camber spots and very loose dirt, and some possible winch anchor points. Also, I was solo. So I lock front and back and push through. I'm not even sure I slipped. I was honestly nervous - the off-camber spot was sloped down a mountain - but I was grinning ear to ear when I finished, high-fiving my dog. I'd post a video but it's lame since I suck at making videos and nothing is ever as gnarly in pic/video as in person.

More of a rhetorical question since you have no idea what I'm talking about but, would the 200 have made it?

I ask myself this as part of the decision to move from a 80 to 200. That's how it's related to the thread, ICYMI.

I haven't really pushed the 200 yet and haven't been on any of the trails where I have needed lockers in the past. There is one instance though I can think of that ATRAC/Crawl may have actually performed better than the lockers. A few years back in the 80 I was traversing a "wedge" shaped obstacle - super steep and slick granite rock. Had both lockers engaged and still just couldn't through it - all four tires just kept slipping on the slick surface. In that situation I'm thinking something like crawl that could do a better job of selectively delivering torque/power to wheels with traction may have been able to walk up it. The only reason I say that is that we also have a subaru and the traction control system in that is similar to atrac and it works beautifully in those types of situations.

I guess it really just depends on what type of wheeling you do. For me, I left the hardcore wheeling behind when I ditched my built Jeep so my uses are more touring/expedition type travel where reliability, comfort, and decent offroad performance are needed versus full on capability. For those purposes I don't think there's really a comparison between the 80 and 200 (i.e. the 200 wins in every category).

edited: grammar

Last edited:
Great write up. I love the comments from other drivers.

When I first put a snorkel on my 200 someone told me they have never seen off road stuff on a "family toyota" before! You would have thought I tricked out the Sienna in Super Swampers!

The FJ guys should have known better! (I am a former FJ driver- still in my profile picture.)

As we pulled 5 fully built and armored LC 200 beasts into the gas station in Breckenridge this morning before heading out to do Red Cone today...a guy rolled his window down and asked, "Oh... Are you guys part of that HighlanderClub? I saw you guys all lined up this morning. "

I just said... "No... these are 200 series land Cruisers."

He replied, "Oh! Are those the new ones? I used to work for Toyota."

-Having heard this guy just state that he used to worked for Toyota...
-... curled my mouth up at the sides--hoping it was forming a smile and replied... "The one I just stepped out of is 9 years old, actually..."

He says, "Wow. Do they still make Land Cruisers?"

At that point, I just nodded...told him to have a great day...and climbed back into my “Highlander.” :hillbilly:

-Apparently...even Bubba...with 35's, front and rear bumpers, sliders, lift, winch, tire and fuel swing-outs and more...is still...um...STEALTH??? L...O...L... !!

Ultimately, I actually have come to ENJOY completely baffling people over what I’m actually driving. It’s why I have the very cool “Land Cruiser” emblems in my garage that I never added to my truck...because it’s more fun to watch the quizzical looks on people’s faces. ;)

Last edited:
I am familiar with the triple locked version of the 80 and with the 13 200. Frankly, except in the rare (for me) situations where it is rock faces or boulders the 200 has much more finesse and does a remarkably good job. Planning a tight turn triple-locked---I don't think so unless you are far more creative than I ever was. I am very surprised at how close to the same size (footprint on the ground) the 80 and the 200 are. I would have guessed the 200 was much larger. Nostalgia and emotion aside the 200 is a mighty fine tool. So I think the 40 and 80 are special because of all the memories we created with them. Functionally, the 200 wins for my purposes. But the memories....

I am familiar with the triple locked version of the 80 and with the 13 200. Frankly, except in the rare (for me) situations where it is rock faces or boulders the 200 has much more finesse and does a remarkably good job. Planning a tight turn triple-locked---I don't think so unless you are far more creative than I ever was. I am very surprised at how close to the same size (footprint on the ground) the 80 and the 200 are. I would have guessed the 200 was much larger. Nostalgia and emotion aside the 200 is a mighty fine tool. So I think the 40 and 80 are special because of all the memories we created with them. Functionally, the 200 wins for my purposes. But the memories....
Thanks for the input. This is exactly where I might be going - have to persuade the missus. Normally, going on a trail I know might be hard and tight (that's what she said) I'll start with the rear locked. This summer I've been using the lockers frequently enough that the front locks right up so it's not been an issue.

Good info here. I have a 40 an 80 and soon 200 series. I can't part with any of my land cruisers but my 80 is the dedicated hard core off-roader. Plan is to overland in the 200.

Digging up an old thread, but curious on guys that are maintaining both an 80 and 200 series.... With limited time to provide the level of maintenance that I want to give my truck, I'm not sure I can keep both.

My 80 is a bit different as it has the 4.7 V8 so it helps bridge the gap between the 200, but there is no denying the power and comfort of the 2018 200 Series the wife is driving. I wanted to see how the 200 would grow on me and I'm just finding it hard to commit. I know after a bit of dress up id find it easier, but this 80 has a definite hold on me.

I think much of this is just the nostalgia of my 80 and the looks, but we lose more and more OEM parts every year on the 80 and that adds a bit of stress on someone looking at the long game.

Thanks for listening....

J~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom