200 series buying decision and first impressions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Digging up an old thread, but curious on guys that are maintaining both an 80 and 200 series.... With limited time to provide the level of maintenance that I want to give my truck, I'm not sure I can keep both.

My 80 is a bit different as it has the 4.7 V8 so it helps bridge the gap between the 200, but there is no denying the power and comfort of the 2018 200 Series the wife is driving. I wanted to see how the 200 would grow on me and I'm just finding it hard to commit. I know after a bit of dress up id find it easier, but this 80 has a definite hold on me.

I think much of this is just the nostalgia of my 80 and the looks, but we lose more and more OEM parts every year on the 80 and that adds a bit of stress on someone looking at the long game.

Thanks for listening....

J~
And solid axles!!! You know... Some live and die by them, and nothing else will do.

Prob makes a difference if you're running Rubicon trails all the time.

And solid axles!!! You know... Some live and die by them, and nothing else will do.

Prob makes a difference if you're running Rubicon trails all the time.

I don't run the rocks or really need SFA for my needs... I came to the 80 after a stint in a JKU.. As luck would have it, I searched for SFA vehicles and came across the 80 Series and immediately fell in love. The rest is history as they say.

For my needs, 90% Highway and weekend camping trips in AL / GA with trips out West, the 200 even without lockers would most likely be all I need. My 80 is 3x Locked and I exercise them with every oil change, but have never needed them.

Just trying to be sensible and look forward to the next 10-15 ... A 40 year old amazingly well cared for 80 or a 10 year old 200... Seems like a no brainer for some, but its been a difficult thought process for me.

Regards,

John~

I’ve had the FZJ80, several 100’s and a couple of 200’s. I don’t off road. I own them for the quality and durability. Wish I still had my 80. But I love my 2015 LX570. It will take care of me until I’m in the grave. I recommend you keep your 80!!!

I don't run the rocks or really need SFA for my needs... I came to the 80 after a stint in a JKU.. As luck would have it, I searched for SFA vehicles and came across the 80 Series and immediately fell in love. The rest is history as they say.

For my needs, 90% Highway and weekend camping trips in AL / GA with trips out West, the 200 even without lockers would most likely be all I need. My 80 is 3x Locked and I exercise them with every oil change, but have never needed them.

Just trying to be sensible and look forward to the next 10-15 ... A 40 year old amazingly well cared for 80 or a 10 year old 200... Seems like a no brainer for some, but its been a difficult thought process for me.

Regards,

John~
It is a difficult process. I vacillate between selling my 80 and GX470 and getting into a 200 constantly. My 80 is clean...not quite as clean as yours, but pretty well sorted and a head turner. Always getting thumbs up and comments from others, which admittedly is nice. Looking ahead to the next 10-15 years as you said, I think i would personally be better off in a 200, but I know i'd regret selling the 80.

I’ve had the FZJ80, several 100’s and a couple of 200’s. I don’t off road. I own them for the quality and durability. Wish I still had my 80. But I love my 2015 LX570. It will take care of me until I’m in the grave. I recommend you keep your 80!!!

Posts like these from guys who have "been there done that" is what gives me pause about selling and moving up to a 200. Decisions, decisions....

BTW...great write up OP!

This is something that is hard to consider until it has happened but relevant. It seems the auto-dimming rear view mirror in my 13 LC is failing. It barely dims, though the same sensor and logic on it is dimming the side-view mirrors just as they should.

Cost to replace, with my fair discount at a local parts counter: ~$500

No option to just flip it up. And it annoys the hell out of me every time some douche has their brights on, which seems to be happening more and more lately. But it’s hard to justify that much cash outlay for a dimming mirror.

I still have some troubleshooting to do when I find time, but am already saving for what seems like the inevitable. Not at all a common failure, but when it happens.. $$$

This is something that is hard to consider until it has happened but relevant. It seems the auto-dimming rear view mirror in my 13 LC is failing. It barely dims, though the same sensor and logic on it is dimming the side-view mirrors just as they should.

Cost to replace, with my fair discount at a local parts counter: ~$500

No option to just flip it up. And it annoys the hell out of me every time some douche has their brights on, which seems to be happening more and more lately. But it’s hard to justify that much cash outlay for a dimming mirror.

I still have some troubleshooting to do when I find time, but am already saving for what seems like the inevitable. Not at all a common failure, but when it happens.. $$$
You can get a dark tint for the rear window and it will be cheaper. I did that to my 100 and never have to flip the mirror. The thing with the 100 is there isn't a backup camera so it is hard to see in the dark but the 200 has one so no problem. Plus people can't see what is in the back cargo to steal.

You can get a dark tint for the rear window and it will be cheaper. I did that to my 100 and never have to flip the mirror. The thing with the 100 is there isn't a backup camera so it is hard to see in the dark but the 200 has one so no problem. Plus people can't see what is in the back cargo to steal.

That plus the stock tint would impact dimming of the side mirrors, which I’ve grown to really appreciate. Plus it just wouldn’t be right. Expensive as it is I’d rather it just work.

The replacement costs on the 200 can be high, but I guess having the ability to have replacement parts available is a big plus.

When I want to get depressed I just read the 80 series OEM discontinued parts thread :)

It's nice just running 200 series part numbers and seeing them all show available !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom