200 reliabity compared to 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Turbo/hybrid has been beat to death, but this is the first I’ve heard of unibody. Tundra/Tacoma are staying body on frame and I hesitate to believe toyota would allow them to be more durable than the new landcruiser, given its role in their worldwide market.

You sure about that?

I read somewhere (forget where) it will be TGNA-F. I'm guessing the "F" stands for a frame. Further guessing it's probably some sort of common frame architecture that crosses all vehicle platforms that use a frame.

A Japanese website claims to have insider knowledge - and they propose the 300 will come in 2021. But since @Eric Sarjeant has said 2021 will still be a 200 series model, I have my doubts.

So unless Toyota is going to trial/prove a 300 in Japan and/or Australia....

I read somewhere (forget where) it will be TGNA-F. I'm guessing the "F" stands for a frame. Further guessing it's probably some sort of common frame architecture that crosses all vehicle platforms that use a frame.

I did see elsewhere that the next gen tacoma and tundra will share a frame.. so that seems to support your idea of a common frame architecture.

Turbo v6 into a tacoma/4runner anyone?

I’ve just read through this thread for the first time. What a great storehouse of information. Thanks to all for your comments.

im here to solicit some ideas/suggestions from this group. I presently own a 5th gen 4Runner. General mods include MD OME suspension, 4.56s, 255/75r17 KO2s,etc. It has been a great overlanding rig for me And my wife. Last year I bought a Mission Overland trailer which weighs around 3,200 lbs loaded. The V6 is a bit underwhelming in the mountains.

Would a 4.7 L in the 100 series be that big of an improvement for towing, or is the 5.7 L in the 200 the way to go? My other option is a TRD Magneson ‘charger.

For background, I’m 71 y.o., have been “overlanding” for over 40 years, and really could care less about leather seats. The T4R has been incredibly reliable for over 114,000 miles so far. I need something that will allow me to continue doing what I love until they take the keys away from me. Trips to Alaska, BC, and Baja are in my future. Any suggestions?

2DB18F5D-FCE0-43F6-A994-EECCE14D56DC.jpeg

My 2 cents as a new (used) 200 owner coming from a 21 year old 275k mi. 4Runner:

The 200 is an incredibly well engineered and built vehicle. Ihave no doubt in its ability to last 25+ years and 350k miles. No doubt.

I’ve just read through this thread for the first time. What a great storehouse of information. Thanks to all for your comments.

im here to solicit some ideas/suggestions from this group. I presently own a 5th gen 4Runner. General mods include MD OME suspension, 4.56s, 255/75r17 KO2s,etc. It has been a great overlanding rig for me And my wife. Last year I bought a Mission Overland trailer which weighs around 3,200 lbs loaded. The V6 is a bit underwhelming in the mountains.

Would a 4.7 L in the 100 series be that big of an improvement for towing, or is the 5.7 L in the 200 the way to go? My other option is a TRD Magneson ‘charger.

For background, I’m 71 y.o., have been “overlanding” for over 40 years, and really could care less about leather seats. The T4R has been incredibly reliable for over 114,000 miles so far. I need something that will allow me to continue doing what I love until they take the keys away from me. Trips to Alaska, BC, and Baja are in my future. Any suggestions?

View attachment 2186147
I know the 4.0 has more guts than my old 4Runners 3.4, but there’s maybe one other thing to consider. The 4.0 and 5.7 don’t use timing belts. The 4.7 does.
I love my 200 and if you’re looking for more power you will find it in spades.
I don’t need the leather either, but I don’t mind theheated seats, dvd,nav, etc.

View attachment 2186147
Your 4runner can be your "last" vehicle or do you want to try something else and spend more money? The 5.7 is great for towing but the engine isn't the only consideration for towing. I tow 3k-5k trailers with my dad's 2008 single cab F150 V6. Even though my 100 and 200 have v8's I prefer towing with the F150 since it handles the trailer much better, more stable, and the ride is smoother. Trucks suspensions and brakes are setup for towing. The Land cruiser wheel base will be better than the 4runner for towing but a Tundra or Sequoia will always be better at towing. Do you need the space of a 200LC since it is only you and your wife? Maybe a long wheel base Tacoma with a shell would be better for your needs.

Last edited:

In regards to the 100-series 4.7L, it would be about a lateral move with no real power improvement. It does have better off the line torque, but in terms of freeway power and climbing, because the 100-series itself weighs upwards of 1000+ lbs more than the 4runner with full size cab dimensions/aero, it won't have more umph. Earlier years were notable as not being able to get out of their own way. I had a latter year 100-series with VVTi and 5-speed, these were pretty good power wise and I towed a 5500lb trailer with one. But only adequate in that heavy trailer use. You'll have more space and comfort over a 4runner however (I previously had an '05 V8 4runner).

200-series is a towing beast with stability and power in spades. I tow a widebody 28' Airstream, 7700 GVWR. With its tow performance and comfort, I would rather nothing else. Seriously. No diesel, no truck thank you.

If I may make a suggestion, a gently used Lexus GX, aka Prado, aka 4Runner w/ v8, would be the ticket for an overland trailer. Excellent power to weight. Great comfort. Larger cabin, seating position, and storage than a 4Runner on account of its taller roofline (my parents have a GX and I've always admired its just right sizing). If I weren't hauling a family, kids, large trailer, this would be my go to for extended travels on account of its better drivability, size, and efficiency.

Last edited:
In regards to the 100-series 4.7L, it would be about a lateral move with no real power improvement. It does have better off the line torque, but in terms of freeway power and climbing, because the 100-series itself weighs upwards of 1000+ lbs more than the 4runner with full size cab dimensions/aero, it won't have more umph. Earlier years were notable as not being able to get out of their own way. I had a last years 100-series with VVTi and 5-speed, these were pretty good power wise and I towed a 5500lb trailer with one. But only adequate in that heavy trailer use. You'll have much more space and comfort over a 4runner however (I previously had an '05 V8 4runner).

200-series is a towing beast with stability and power in spades. I tow a widebody 28' Airstream, 7700 GVWR. With its tow performance and comfort, I would rather nothing else. Seriously. No diesel, no truck thank you.

If I may make a suggestion, a gently use Lexus GX, aka Prado, aka 4Runner w/ v8, would be the ticket for an overland trailer. Excellent power to weight. Great comfort. Larger cabin and storage than a 4Runner on account of its taller roofline. If I weren't hauling a family, kids, large trailer, this would be my go to for extended travels on account of its better drivability, size, and efficiency.

To show my ignorance here, do all the later year GX s have a V8? The local dealer has a ‘16 LX on the lot. I will go back and see what they have in GX attire. Thanks for the great suggestion.

To show my ignorance here, do all the later year GX s have a V8? The local dealer has a ‘16 LX on the lot. I will go back and see what they have in GX attire. Thanks for the great suggestion.
They all have a V8. The GX470 has a 4.7 and the GX460 has the 4.6. The GX470 has air suspension and it is good for towing. I believe the GX460 also has the air suspension. I tow a Casita trailer with our GX470 and the air suspension makes it ride really well since it auto levels the rear. My GX has a factory slot to accept a trailer brake controller. You can get a nice used GX460 for much less than a LX570.

Last edited:
Many people's only hangup with the GX for overland/daily use is the swing-out rear door. A few people like it, but most vastly prefer the split hatch/tailgate of any of the wagon-shaped landcruisers, including the LX.

Many people's only hangup with the GX for overland/daily use is the swing-out rear door. A few people like it, but most vastly prefer the split hatch/tailgate of any of the wagon-shaped landcruisers, including the LX.
I actually like the lift up tailgate on the 4Runners. In inclement weather you have a small spot for food prep, putting the fly rods together, etc. A split would be my second. A side door, why exactly did Toyota do that? I can live with any of them.

They all have a V8. The GX470 has a 4.7 and the GX460 has the 4.6. The GX470 has air suspension and it is good for towing. I believe the GX460 also has the air suspension. I tow a Casita trailer with our GX470 and the air suspension makes it ride really well since it auto levels the rear. My GX has a factory slot to accept a trailer brake controller. You can get a nice used GX460 for much less than a LX570.
The Casitas are really beautiful trailers. I got the Mission Overland because the body is only 5ish feet wide and I can see behind using the stock T4R mirrors. It also has a 37 gal water tank and ~ 19" of underbody clearance. The Timbren HD axles work very well on gravel and two track roads, at least at the speeds i travel. You have everything inside, we have the sink, stove, frig/freezer on sliders and the shower is also on the outside. With the tiltup top I have more than enough room to stand in the back third of the trailer.

Tried to do a thumbprint but this program only let me insert these pics full size. This is just to give you an idea of my tow. The T4R works pretty well for much of the tug work. the engine really is gasping going over some of the passes and i don't want to kill it.

I will look into both the GXs. I really appreciate your insights.

Nanc driving in Cascades.jpeg
Salmon Meadows 6-2019.jpeg

Even though he GX has a V8, you don't get much more power than the T4R V6. I'd still take GX over 4R any day. Especially when considering pre-owned. Also, only the Luxury builds of the GX have air suspension (rear only).

Last edited:
Even thought he GX has a V8, you don't get much more power than the T4R V6. I'd still take GX over 4R any day. Especially when considering pre-owned. Also, only the Luxury builds of the GX have air suspension (rear only).
It doesn't make that much more hp, but it does make roughly 50 lb-ft more torque at 900 rpms lower in the power band so it makes a big difference when accelerating while towing. Plus the GX460 has a 6 speed transmission compared to the 5 in the 4runner. Also I believe the GX has a shorter gear ratio that also helps in towing.

Last edited:

View attachment 2186147
200 series substantially better vehicle from 100 series. The 4.7 does not have enough power. Plus, 200 series in much easier to maintain, more well built and comfortable

I currently own both. A 2000 LC since new and a pre owned 2014 LC. Other than a steering rack at 215k, my 2000 has been problem free. The materials, especially the plastics, on the 2014 feel “cheaper” for lack of a better word.

Empirical evidence aside, only time will tell which one is more relaible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom