200 owner lost in the 150 forum.....Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I presented what I thought were some fairly solid options like the one above tonight to the wife. Finally got some feedback.

90k miles???? I thought you hated that front, it looks horrendous!!!

So the search is back where I started. Need to find a 10-13 lowish mileage truck. Like I said, no rush for this purchase, but definitely gonna take longer trying to find a good clean low mileage truck in that year range. All the ones local so far have either very high mileage and/or crappie CARFAX/history. The search continues

I was limiting myself to a 10-13 and finally realized I was starting to like the 14+ front end better the more I saw them on the road. Now that I own one, I think it looks a lot better than the 10-13 front end. YMMV of course and all personal preference. Regardless of the face, they are all great trucks.

Also, bumper options are almost non-existent for 14+, but by the time I am ready for an aftermarket bumper, maybe there will be more options or I'll just decide to cut it for a Prado ARB.

I was limiting myself to a 10-13 and finally realized I was starting to like the 14+ front end better the more I saw them on the road. Now that I own one, I think it looks a lot better than the 10-13 front end. YMMV of course and all personal preference. Regardless of the face, they are all great trucks.

Also, bumper options are almost non-existent for 14+, but by the time I am ready for an aftermarket bumper, maybe there will be more options or I'll just decide to cut it for a Prado ARB.
yeah i think i gotta agree. when i 1st started shopping i was dead set against the 2014+. Now that I've been looking and seeing in person it doesnt bother me so much. In some ways i like it, as it does make the truck look more current/modern.

Same view on the bumper, by the time I am ready for an aftermarket bumper, I assume there will be options by then. I gave my sales pitch that at this point finding a 6-10 year old GX, that isn't black, has under 75k miles, is from the SW, is driving distance from here, and has a clean hopefully 1 owner service history............ is not gonna be easy. I think it's more about finding the right truck/deal vs what year it is

I'd suggest looking out of state and region. Look in the Houston and Dallas area. You can find tons of dealer maintained Lexus SUV's in those areas. For some reason it happens to be the quintessential vehicle of soccer moms in Texas. I did a recent search on Autotrader and you'll find TONs of used, low mileage GX460's. Many with 30k miles in the $35k range. Good luck with your search.

You will find more refresh models on market now as there are are now over 130K 14+ models versus around 51K for 10-13 models that were sold in US. Also total GX 460 sales are now around 9K total units higher as of late last year than GX 470.

183,622 (460) versus 174,473 (470)

yeah that's exactly what i'm finding on the used market. very very few 10-13's

So I presented what I thought were some fairly solid options like the one above tonight to the wife. Finally got some feedback.

90k miles???? I thought you hated that front, it looks horrendous!!!

So the search is back where I started. Need to find a 10-13 lowish mileage truck. Like I said, no rush for this purchase, but definitely gonna take longer trying to find a good clean low mileage truck in that year range. All the ones local so far have either very high mileage and/or crappie CARFAX/history. The search continues
Bought ours for my wife 3 years ago, now it’s my DD. Got with 88k, now at 136k. Absolutely NO issues in that time frame, and still drives like new. She wanted something a bit smaller for city traffic, but she still drives it on occasion and loves it. Other than technology that is a bit outdated, I have no complaints and have found it to be great in mild off-roading.

Thanks to all for the help with this shopping process! Traded in her lil Audi yesterday for a 2014 GX luxury with 90k miles on it. Must have had a wealthy previous owner, the 2nd and 3rd row look like they were never sat in. 1 owner Arizona truck with no accidents, and 5k mile service it’s whole live at local Lexus dealer. Definitely well taken care of. The Mercedes dealer we got from looked at me like I was crazy laying on the floor with a flashlight for 15 minutes but that’s ok. Looks spotless all under and no signs of oil or coolant leaks anywhere. It’ll be stock for some years before my wife lets me get my grubby modifying hand on it, but that ok. It’s part of our family and we love it. Such a pleasure to drive with the luxury leather and sound and airbag suspension. Definitely drives smaller and more luxurious than my 200. The wife loves it too and we’re actually both happy we went with a 14 refresh after all. Thanks again, crazy it was just last weekend we even started the conversation idea to get a GX to now looking pretty in our driveway. I even gave up my driveway parking spot for her pretty truck :)

F55E5129-A1D8-42F2-A0AE-4303696CC3BB.jpeg

73303CC3-548E-489E-9787-EEFE1FC7E4A7.jpeg

903D1E91-652A-4F3C-B71A-EF5A36A4F1FE.jpeg

Thanks to all for the help with this shopping process! Traded in her lil Audi yesterday for a 2014 GX luxury with 90k miles on it. Must have had a wealthy previous owner, the 2nd and 3rd row look like they were never sat in. 1 owner Arizona truck with no accidents, and 5k mile service it’s whole live at local Lexus dealer. Definitely well taken care of. The Mercedes dealer we got from looked at me like I was crazy laying on the floor with a flashlight for 15 minutes but that’s ok. Looks spotless all under and no signs of oil or coolant leaks anywhere. It’ll be stock for some years before my wife lets me get my grubby modifying hand on it, but that ok. It’s part of our family and we love it. Such a pleasure to drive with the luxury leather and sound and airbag suspension. Definitely drives smaller and more luxurious than my 200. The wife loves it too and we’re actually both happy we went with a 14 refresh after all. Thanks again, crazy it was just last weekend we even started the conversation idea to get a GX to now looking pretty in our driveway. I even gave up my driveway parking spot for her pretty truck :)

View attachment 1957841

View attachment 1957842

View attachment 1957843
Funny, we just did the reverse at our house - she went from the gx (now mine) to an Audi. Hopefully we will not regret the return to a German product!

Funny, we just did the reverse at our house - she went from the gx (now mine) to an Audi. Hopefully we will not regret the return to a German product!
Haha. German cars are great to drive and she loved her Audi. No issues in the 2.5 years she had, we just knew to keep much past that they start to get expensive real quick. Part of the GX decision was even with higher mileage she wanted something she could keep for 10+years. It did feel funny paying more money to trade in a car with 11k miles on it for a 90k mike GX. Love it though.

Actually all 10-13 models base or premium have power 3rd row folding as well as ventilated seats. A 10-13 base has more options than a '14+ base.

You can add crawl and MTS to any 460.

There a lot of info here: GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
if you want to add the MTS and/or Crawl Control. Generally very quick and easy. Can be done in an afternoon.
Not first hand knowledge, but hopefully it will be first hand knowledge soon! ;)

Thanks for this thread, watching. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for to get an intro to the 150 series. I'm a 200 LC owner - Dad's truck - Mom sent text the other day of a used GX 470, had remembered seeing all the fantastic Prados in Australia and we have a 13 YO so thinking about next up. GX 460 is at the top of the list - also frees the LC for mods :). Seems to be a lot of them around and also our favorite Dealer network has Lexus here so that's a bonus.

Thanks for this thread, watching. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for to get an intro to the 150 series. I'm a 200 LC owner - Dad's truck - Mom sent text the other day of a used GX 470, had remembered seeing all the fantastic Prados in Australia and we have a 13 YO so thinking about next up. GX 460 is at the top of the list - also frees the LC for mods :). Seems to be a lot of them around and also our favorite Dealer network has Lexus here so that's a bonus.
yeah it was such a pleasure shopping for a GX460. So many perfect condition, reasonable prices, and none have been modified or offroaded. I'm about 6 months in on our GX460, and love it! Even the new grill/styling grew on me pretty quick. I'd still pick my 200 over it, but it'd def be my 2nd choice and there are some things i like better. Highly recommended, it's a great ride. This GXOR link page has been a huge resource for me. Just did the Transfer case and rear Diff oil changes last weekend (both super easy):

yeah it was such a pleasure shopping for a GX460. So many perfect condition, reasonable prices, and none have been modified or offroaded. I'm about 6 months in on our GX460, and love it! Even the new grill/styling grew on me pretty quick. I'd still pick my 200 over it, but it'd def be my 2nd choice and there are some things i like better. Highly recommended, it's a great ride. This GXOR link page has been a huge resource for me. Just did the Transfer case and rear Diff oil changes last weekend (both super easy):

Yes I'm quite pleased just scanning through our local dealer network's used and certified pre-owned avail inventory - way more options than a LCs! And the prices are right. We're also German car peeps - the Mrs is in a leased m-b convertible, fun and flashy but not at all practical. I say we date the mercedes, but marry the Toyotas :D

I'm about 6 months in on our GX460, and love it! Even the new grill/styling grew on me pretty quick. I'd still pick my 200 over it, but it'd def be my 2nd choice and there are some things i like better.

I couldn't agree more. I am really enjoying our GX460 so far and it's set to go in next week for it's lift. That said, our 200 wins out for me as well and I have bigger plans for it but I promised the misses I'd leave it alone for at least two years or more before I start cutting it up lol. One year down now and at least one more to go but I am already stacking away parts and have others on order/wait list. The only thing that could distract me from moving forward with putting the LX on 35's is if the new 2021 Bronco is a home run. I have my hopes, dreams, desires, but I doubt that it'll come close to what I want it to be. Either way I win, but that Bronco will never touch the build quality and reliability of the 200 which should be reason enough to stick with the LX.

Any build plans for your GX or is she going to remain a clean stocker?

I couldn't agree more. I am really enjoying our GX460 so far and it's set to go in next week for it's lift. That said, our 200 wins out for me as well and I have bigger plans for it but I promised the misses I'd leave it alone for at least two years or more before I start cutting it up lol. One year down now and at least one more to go but I am already stacking away parts and have others on order/wait list. The only thing that could distract me from moving forward with putting the LX on 35's is if the new 2021 Bronco is a home run. I have my hopes, dreams, desires, but I doubt that it'll come close to what I want it to be. Either way I win, but that Bronco will never touch the build quality and reliability of the 200 which should be reason enough to stick with the LX.

Any build plans for your GX or is she going to remain a clean stocker?
Sooooooo many Bronco's when i was at the Barrett Jackson auction last weekend, it was wild. None for me, but do admire them.

No immediate plans for the GX. Part of the sales pitch to get her to trade her Audi in for the GX, was that she wouldn't have to upgrade and change cars every few years with the GX reliability. She doesn't like change. So, still too far out before I'll get my hands on it. Mostly just wait til things wear out or need to be replaced, and change to a offroad choice of component at that point. I'm more on just learning it's in's and outs and doing all the maintenance myself so when i am ready to start cutting it up I'll be familiar with every bolt. Done oil change/tire rotation, and then just did T-case and Diff oil change last wkd. Her truck is so clean it's a pleasure to work on. My 200 has a decent amount of surface rust from it's 1st 5 years in NY, so anything new i work on is always a headache.

Side note, you sure you want to do 35's on your LX? I'm going 34's next (285/75R17), but I've heard of and known quite a few people who went up to 35's, fought with all the issues, only to go back to 34's. Just MHO ;)

Sooooooo many Bronco's when i was at the Barrett Jackson auction last weekend, it was wild. None for me, but do admire them.

No immediate plans for the GX. Part of the sales pitch to get her to trade her Audi in for the GX, was that she wouldn't have to upgrade and change cars every few years with the GX reliability. She doesn't like change. So, still too far out before I'll get my hands on it. Mostly just wait til things wear out or need to be replaced, and change to a offroad choice of component at that point. I'm more on just learning it's in's and outs and doing all the maintenance myself so when i am ready to start cutting it up I'll be familiar with every bolt. Done oil change/tire rotation, and then just did T-case and Diff oil change last wkd. Her truck is so clean it's a pleasure to work on. My 200 has a decent amount of surface rust from it's 1st 5 years in NY, so anything new i work on is always a headache.

Side note, you sure you want to do 35's on your LX? I'm going 34's next (285/75R17), but I've heard of and known quite a few people who went up to 35's, fought with all the issues, only to go back to 34's. Just MHO ;)

It's a little easier with a LX, there's no KDSS to get in the way like there is on the LC. Run a smaller 35" tire like a BFG AT, do a BMC, and then either wheel spacers with factory wheels or pick the proper back space and offset to keep them out of the metal. It's been done before and as of right now it's just an idea, we still have to see if it makes it past the first two years still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom