200 as daily driver? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will also add onboard air as I would use that pretty often for inflating tubes for the lake.

Consider whether the tubes need high volume or high pressure. If it's the former, onboard air may not do a great job, while a $20 12v air pump from any local Walmart will.

The 200 is an okay daily driver. Not great. If you ask any of us we'll say it's the best thing ever... but we're not all right in the head, which is why we're on here... :cool:

There are lots of cons for a body-on-frame SUV as a daily driver with old tech, piss poor gas mileage, crappy on-road performance (comparatively), and an $80k price tag... And that's just the tip of the iceberg for a Tahoe or Expedition... ;)

If you want another LC and can afford it. Get it. You only live once. Rumor is they're not going to be around that much longer, better act fast.

But I think you knew you'd get that answer coming here.

The challenge will be convincing the wife that it's the best choice over an RX or Highlander. One selling point will be you can keep it and repurpose it as your next off-road rig down the road. So you'll get use out of it as a daily driver first, and then as an off-road rig later. You can focus on how many years it will be around vs. something that will be traded in 3-5. An LC costs enough and is special enough that most hang on to them. Also, they hold their value better than most.

Consider whether the tubes need high volume or high pressure. If it's the former, onboard air may not do a great job, while a $20 12v air pump from any local Walmart will.
Well I use it for airing up the other garage vehicles as it’s just convenient, especially if I’m out somewhere and get a slow leak or a puncture. I have a great puncture kit and the onboard air would come in handy

OP- I gotta ask, since you’ve owned two 200s already, what made you get rid of them before? What is prompting another one? Because there’s not a whole lot different in the 2019 compared to any other year....

Reactions: HGB
Our next car will probably be an RX. Slight update in 2020. Theres a reason it outsells all the other Lexus vehicles. Even have a hybrid.

OP- I gotta ask, since you’ve owned two 200s already, what made you get rid of them before? What is prompting another one? Because there’s not a whole lot different in the 2019 compared to any other year....
I have a car sickness. I’ve been through so many different types of car/SUVs that the only one i missed most was the LC. I’ve come to a place in time where I need to settle down with a primary vehicle I will enjoy and will take me places for many years. The mileage range is one of the biggest drawbacks for me but I need a good size family hauler 4 people when we go on road trips to NY, Florida,MN,CO, etc. I plan on taking one of the rear seats out for added cargo space. My only other options are a Yukon Denali, Volvo XC90,GLS, X7, Highlander, 4-Runner. The only one I’ve driven out of the additional bunch is the GLS which was great but comes with higher maintenance costs.

Last edited:
When I was looking at vehicles I also considered a 5th gen 4Runner and a GX460. I really liked pretty much everything about the GX as a daily driver car (tailgate would take a while to bond with). The 4Runner resale was too strong and the roof/windshield too low but I found the GX to be plentiful, comfortable and available for a very fair price. In the end I wanted a LC or LX so that’s what I purchased but you already have a cool 200.

As ”soccer mom” as it initially appears don’t overlook the GX. A deep dive reveals a really cool, capable vehicle that rides nice, parks easily, is safe and capable.

I 2nd the GX if you are in doubt of the 200 as a daily. I daily my LX and drive 100 miles round trip when commuting to work. Confidence is why I daily this vehicle.

When I was looking at vehicles I also considered a 5th gen 4Runner and a GX460. I really liked pretty much everything about the GX as a daily driver car (tailgate would take a while to bond with). The 4Runner resale was too strong and the roof/windshield too low but I found the GX to be plentiful, comfortable and available for a very fair price. In the end I wanted a LC or LX so that’s what I purchased but you already have a cool 200.

As ”soccer mom” as it initially appears don’t overlook the GX. A deep dive reveals a really cool, capable vehicle that rides nice, parks easily, is safe and capable.
I like the GX but the tailgate is a deal killer for me. I really like having a split tailgate. We get a lot of rain and the upper half is a nice cover when getting things out of the back as i often do.

I 2nd the GX if you are in doubt of the 200 as a daily. I daily my LX and drive 100 miles round trip when commuting to work. Confidence is why I daily this vehicle.
Safety, cargo/passenger space, longevity are key factors for us. I will check out the GX app gen though I’m not sure i can get over the barn door and with my kids always having to access it for sport equipment, school bags during carpool drop off. I’m not sure how practical it will be if the door opens from the left side of car as cars pass on that side constantly.

I like the GX but the tailgate is a deal killer for me. I really like having a split tailgate. We get a lot of rain and the upper half is a nice cover when getting things out of the back as i often do.
The rear glass on a GX does pop open and hinge up, but I know that's not the same. I love my LC split tailgate. I don't even want power or soft open. I like my 2015 and it's old school ways.

The rear glass on a GX does pop open and hinge up, but I know that's not the same. I love my LC split tailgate. I don't even want power or soft open. I like my 2015 and it's old school ways.
I agree with you but my youngest will benefit with a power tailgate as she can’t reach it when it’s up to bring it back down during the carpool raceway lol

I daily drive a 200 and have been for the last three years (was in a 100 before that). My commute is ~100 miles roundtrip so the gas expense makes me stupid by most people's measure.

That said, I've driven various sports cars and a couple luxury sedans (LS, GShybrid) in the same situation over the last 8 years. Sports cars got old for the known reasons and while I may eventually go back to a sedan at some point, I'm happiest in the cruiser - I have a lift, tires, bumper and I'm at 195k miles with no issues.

This is why I prefer the cruiser:

1. Sports cars and Luxury sedans have come and gone over the last 10 years for me. Eventually something wears off and I just miss the cruiser, despite the known downsides (gas, handling, ride compared to others)

2. Gas mileage may be dismal compared to something i can get 25-30mpg in, but when I'm sitting in this thing 2hours/day, five days/week, the annualized savings isn't worth it, to me.

3. My commute includes super early mornings with lots of deer and many, many other reckless drivers. I've seen enough bad accidents in small econo sedans to convince me the downside of the cruiser is worth the upside of reliability, safety, capability and enjoyment (for me). I know there are lots of other safe vehicles out there, but the cruisers size and weight means something to me.

Not sure if this helps, but just another opinion.

Cybertruck? :)
If it were available now and a bit smaller 198” in overall length vs current, I’d seriously consider it.

Just test drove a 2019 Highlander Limited. It actually drove decently well and offered pretty decent sight lines. The negatives were the lack of LED headlamps, slightly narrow drivers seat, very slow rear hatch opening and I can feel every single crevasse and crack on the road. Otherwise it actually drove fairly well and is easy to drive and obviously very practical but it’s just not as confident inspiring as the LC.

I have a car sickness. I’ve been through so many different types of car/SUVs that the only one i missed most was the LC. I’ve come to a place in time where I need to settle down with a primary vehicle I will enjoy and will take me places for many years. The mileage range is one of the biggest drawbacks for me but I need a good size family hauler 4 people when we go on road trips to NY, Florida,MN,CO, etc. I plan on taking one of the rear seats out for added cargo space. My only other options are a Yukon Denali, Volvo XC90,GLS, X7, Highlander, 4-Runner. The only one I’ve driven out of the additional bunch is the GLS which was great but comes with higher maintenance costs.

Please look into 4Runner crash ratings. It failed the small overlap test and was reason enough for me to not purchase another 4Runner after I was in an accident with my 200. I had owned a 2016 4Runner before but I wasn’t aware of the glaring safety issue.

For me, safety is probably tied with reliability as my #1 concern. Another 200 is the path I chose. Germans have great safety ratings typically, as with Volvo, but there’s something to be said for mass.

This is why I prefer the cruiser:

1. Sports cars and Luxury sedans have come and gone over the last 10 years for me. Eventually something wears off and I just miss the cruiser, despite the known downsides (gas, handling, ride compared to others)

2. Gas mileage may be dismal compared to something i can get 25-30mpg in, but when I'm sitting in this thing 2hours/day, five days/week, the annualized savings isn't worth it, to me.

This is exactly how I feel. I have an S class now and for my purposes it works so much better than a Landcruiser:

1. I can blast past a slow moving train of anything with almost 500 hp on tap. An LC with lift, offroad tires? Forget about it.
2. Increased gas mileage? Not interested, but it means increased range I can go 450 miles without filling up. Love that.
3. Adaptive cruise that can handle bumper to bumper traffic and leave reasonable distance so people don't cut me up.
4. Endlessly adjustable seats so comfortable I'm not sore even after 400+ miles at the wheel.
5. No all terrain tires, has dual pane glass, etc. so it's extremely quiet

But...

I still want a Landcruiser. I should have known better because I cried the day I sold it.

Has anyone noticed the KDSS screws on the 2019? They are not screws but stainless hex bolts. Is this new to help prevent rust build up and stripping out the screws?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom