2" back spaced rims?

SPRDAV

SPRDAV

My stability is one of my concerns on my 70 FJ40. Right now the backspacing is 3.5, but if I go to 2" back spacing that gives me stability. I know 2" backspaced rims are hard to find; that's my first question where do I find them? My second question is: do 2" backspaced rims cause un-natural bearing wear?

CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Bump steer and "accelerated" wheel bearing wear will occur. I do not know how acclerated. If this is a trail truck only, then I wouldn't worry, but if it is a daily driver that sees a lot of miles, then I might be more concerned.
Maybe someone else will have more specific answers.

woody

woody

Staff member
Admin
Website
www.TieRodMedia.com
additional wear on the trunion and wheel bearings, more "scrub" when turning, accellerating tire wear and making offroad/parking maneuvers tougher. IMO, no worse than the added wear that a 35" plus tire puts on things anyways....if you offroad at all, then these are common inspection/wear items anyways with larger tires.

I run 2" BS Allied Rock-A-Thon Beadlocks and really like them.

Check the vendor threads on pirate4x4.com/forum/ for purchase options...

LT

LT

[quote author=SPRDAV link=board=12;threadid=7968;start=msg67232#msg67232 date=1069691491]
My stability is one of my concerns on my 70 FJ40. Right now the backspacing is 3.5, but if I go to 2" back spacing that gives me stability. I know 2" backspaced rims are hard to find; that's my first question where do I find them? My second question is: do 2" backspaced rims cause un-natural bearing wear?
[/quote]

Hey Dave this is Little Travis check out 4 Wheel Parts, i just bought a set of 2.5" BS rims from the at $40 a piece. Here is the link... http://www.4wheelparts.com/ i forgot the part number but the last bit should say R2.5

Travis

SPRDAV

SPRDAV

That isen't a bad price. Kevin bought his for, I think, 80$ a wheel, but that was with 2" back space. I guess the 1/2 difference isen't worth 40 bucks a wheel more. Thanks LT.

I think the bump steer problem might be solved. My LC has All pro High steer arms with no stablizer and I have no bump steer at all, even with 35s. If I put a stablizer on with the 2.5 back spaced rims, I think that should solve the problem. This LC gets 50/50 between off road and on road, so its not that much of an issue. I'm just a stickler for everything functioning perfectly.

LT

LT

[quote author=SPRDAV link=board=12;threadid=7968;start=msg67404#msg67404 date=1069710430]
That isen't a bad price. Kevin bought his for, I think, 80$ a wheel, but that was with 2" back space. I guess the 1/2 difference isen't worth 40 bucks a wheel more. Thanks LT.

I think the bump steer problem might be solved. My LC has All pro High steer arms with no stablizer and I have no bump steer at all, even with 35s. If I put a stablizer on with the 2.5 back spaced rims, I think that should solve the problem. This LC gets 50/50 between off road and on road, so its not that much of an issue. I'm just a stickler for everything functioning perfectly.
[/quote]

If i remember right Kevin got his Wheels when Willamete Tire was still in business... so you would have to custom order a set of rims. Go search on pirate in the TLC section there has been a thread or two about custom BS rims.

Travis

the shed guy

the shed guy

Website
www.the-shed.net
Increased scrub steer actually helps in slippery conditions,a s it changes the wheelbase length effectively in the way in which you wish to turn.

MAkes the discs easier to hose out too :cheers:

M

MarkFJ40

Summit has 2" back spaced wheels too

too tall

too tall

I had a set of wheels modified to 2-1/4 bs .It cost about $40cdn per wheel .I had to flip the centers though so if the inside your existing wheel isn't that great then it may not be such a good option.

Safado

Safado

[quote author=wngrog link=board=12;threadid=7968;start=msg90651#msg90651 date=1074132658]
I have a set of 17" 2" BS rims that I NEED to sell.

I have $460 in them and they are as new.

$350 gets four!

wngrog@aol.com if you are interested.

If you want 15" wheels, go to Summit and look into US Wheel.
[/quote]

Got any pics?

hammerhead

hammerhead

[quote author=wngrog link=board=12;threadid=7968;start=msg91198#msg91198 date=1074350932]
Woody is going to spank me....
[/quote]
Gee nolen...you sound almost excited... :doh: