2.2l Isuzu Pup Diesel Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D'Animal

Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers
Threads
I have an opportunity to get an Isuzu Pup 2wd with the 2.2 Non Turbo Diesel.

The rig has 480k miles on it and was the daily driver until the transmission gave up. Only 5th gear works. The current owner has had the rig since the late 1980's.

The rig averages 48mpg.

Is the 2.2L worth pursuing? Is it something that can be turbo charged? I know anything can be Turbo charged but would this be similar to Turbo Charging a 1H Toyota Diesel or a 2H Toyota Diesel, etc.

Thanks for your input.

From everything I've seen the non-turbo'd C223 is not worth trying to turbo...something about the connecting rods being too weak to handle the extra stress. That said I do believe the rods from a C223T will swap right in and from there you would be good to go. IsuzuPup.com would be the place to find out more info about it though, they know diesels there

A former neighbor has it and was his DD when he was my neighbor. He is the kind of guy who just putters along in the slow lane so he probably did get in the mid 30 mpg.

He wanted me to install a vacuum gauge on his PT cruiser so he could drive by vacuum and improve his mileage. I laughed and told him that computer controlled cars do not work that way. When I asked him what happened to the Izusu truck, he explained the transmission went out and he was looking for a home for the truck.

I'm thinking along the lines of a building a diesel mini truck similar to my wifes Daihatsu 4x4 with a dump bed and sissor lift.

C223 diesel

I have a 78 fj40 with what I believe is an Isuzu c223 turbo diesel. I haven't had it on the road much, but the few times I have, I couldn't get above 35-40mph. I haven't tinkered with it to see if I can do better than that, but would be interested to hear if anyone thought that I have maxed out my speed, or if I can get it up to highway speed.

How does the engine sound when you are doing 40mph?

If it is pegged/redlined, your tranfer case may be stuck in Low range.
It doesn't sound like its straining, but I haven't tried getting on the road in a couple of years. I only use it for plowing the driveway now because the whole tub is shot. I am just about to undertake a body rebuild (not restoration) so I can start using it. I don't know what it is geared like, but would be interested in hearing what people have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom