1st time sleeping in the LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This weekend was my first cottage / camping trip with my LX450. I took the advice of IdahoDoug and removed my middle row, as I don't have drawers to make a flat surface in the back.

8 bolts and the middle seats are out. I fit a queen size air mattress with the 3rd row folded up. It got a bit tight between the wheel wells, but did not bunch up.

For those of you that have never slept in an 80 it beats any tent, hands down. The added safety from animals (even racoons fighting over bread in the middle of the night can send a shivver down your spine), better heat retention and excellent sound dampening.

The down side is that it can get a little steamy in there, like the good ole days in the back of your dad's car. youknowwhatI'msaying. I cracked the sunroof 1/2 way and made up a makeshift screen out of 1/4 copper tubing, aluminum screen, and duct tape.

Does anyone have any tips or experience making screens for the 80 side windows and/or sunroof? The copper tubing I used is way too soft and duct tape doesn't really stick to aluminum mesh.

In the future I'm going to make drawers that will be leell with the 2nd row folded down. That way I can put the air mattress on the drawers and store my stuff under it.

Where did you put your gear? On the roof?

M

I slept in my cruiser while in Death Valley. I've slept back in there on other trips as well. On the DV trip, I was sleeping back there solo and found that a twin air mattress fit well with my fridge still in place on the passenger side.

I had no concerns about bugs getting in, so I cracked the rear sliding window a bit to resolve the fogging issue. I had the 2nd row seats rolled up and still had enough room (I'm 6'2"), granted I was propped up a bit on the head end, so that might've helped a bit.

I had to transfer a few boxes to the ground to make room.

That said, I was very envious of the several rigs in our caravan with roof-top tents :D

I was planning to fabricate a screen for my 60 rear passenger windows. I was going to use a wooden rectangular frame and create a channel to insert the rope for a fiberglass screen. The channel (kerf) would be wide enough to insert the over-the-counter inserts you see to replace your current screens in your home. Hope that suggestion helps but you will need a table saw to cut the channel.
To keep it in place in the window I would cut a channel in the bottom of the so the window would go into it when you close it.Create a channel on top of the screen to insert a metal spline (the same thickness of the window) to keep the frame in place on the top portion.

Mike S said:
Where did you put your gear? On the roof?

With the 2nd row removed there is a dip in the floor behind the front seats where they would usually tumble to. This is a perfect spot for back pack and bags. The bags help raise the head of the mattress for a more comfortable sleeping position. All bulky clothing an boots etc can go on the passenger floor and more clothes/jackets/towels can go on the front seats.

There is not much room for tools, but I manage to store my axe, shovel, and bow saw under the mattress. The recovery straps and gear is stored with the bottle jack in rear fender and where the LC sub goes.

The cooler, jerry can, and Jackall were left outside.

NorCalDoug said:
That said, I was very envious of the several rigs in our caravan with roof-top tents

For the money spent on a good roof top tent you can buy a quality air matress, build drawers, and get a roof rack from Slee. With the drawers you have room for a mattress and tools, with the 2nd row installed.

Archie, that's a good idea :idea:

I never thought of the passenger side windows or holding them inplace with the window.

The window is square so it would be easy to make the shape. I originally wanted to you the extruded aluminum channels from Home depot, but I was planning on making the screen for the sunroof (read: rounded edges). These metal channels have plastic corner connects to protect from scratches and are very cheap. All you need is the screen, foam pieces to press the screen into, metal channels, and the corner peices.

The wood idea is good, but the these metal channels only need to be cut to size, provided the opening is completely square.

The only advantage with wood that I see is that you can shape the corners with an angle grinder, band saw, or sander to a more finished look before you paint or stain. I think it would be a little harder to achieve a nice finished look with aluminum since you can't fill in any mistakes with wood putty (maybe I should practice more on my metal work).
I think that putting a drip/rain louvre(s) on the outside surface of the frame would really help in rainy nights when you still need fresh air. I have heard stories of climbers dying because the oxygen supply in the tent was depleted.The fresh snow fall covered the tent during the night not allowing fresh air to get in.

For the real cheap skates get some cammo mosquito netting, clothespins & 2 fabric door mats (or something else to insect proof up the hatch/roof joint) all can be found in any-town USA

Flipped the seats foreword and laid out a comforter from corner to corner for padding, bag of clean clothes in one foot well as a pillow, bag of dirty clothes in the other to block the door lights, (LED's needed to preserve battery life) slept like that for a the majority of a week at my moms property (no room inside the "house" )

Kept the FL Skeeters at bay and kept me dry even in the tail end of Hurricane Jeanne, I did have to adjust the netting so that water ran along it and out and not in, the net stops the rain but lets air through, tried to sleep in it closed up, not only was it hot but got airless in a hurry, in a sealed up 80 might be a suffocation hazard,

somethign similar could be done with a tarp for winter camping, you could fold out the gate and still keep dry

LXtent.jpg

I've never slept in an 80 (napped in the driver's seat a few times...) but I'm 6'3" and always anticipated having to leave the tailgate down. Guess that's not the case with the second seats out?

I've also wondered if all the passenger side seats (1st, 2nd and 3rd rows) came out if one person could really stretch out...

OZCAL said:
I've never slept in an 80 (napped in the driver's seat a few times...) but I'm 6'3" and always anticipated having to leave the tailgate down. Guess that's not the case with the second seats out?...
I've done the driver's seat napping thing and IMO, it SUCKS!
With the 2nd row seats out and with enough flat stuff underneath to build up the height accordingly, you should have plenty of room. You could also move the driver's seat forward for more room.

...I've also wondered if all the passenger side seats (1st, 2nd and 3rd rows) came out if one person could really stretch out...
That would be more than enough room for most people -- heck, Yao Ming would probably be comfortable with that set up :D
The only thing you'd need to do is stack enough underneath to build up the height so you'd lay level.

aamiggia said:
For the money spent on a good roof top tent you can buy a quality air matress, build drawers, and get a roof rack from Slee. With the drawers you have room for a mattress and tools, with the 2nd row installed.

Total agreement well put. :D

For a short guy like me you don't even have to take out the middle row of seats, roll them forward and just throw some blankets down and lay at a diagonal angle across the cargo area :) . With two people, I just left the cargo area open and had a tarp on standby in case it rained.

aamiggia said:

True, but in my case I also have a 42 qt. fridge back there, which means just room for one. Still, if it's just me, I will sleep on the other side of the fridge, and I agree, wouldn't need a rooftop tent. For those with family or friends along, where you need the cargo space in back as well as the seating space, then a rooftop tent makes much more sense.

My Overland will probably never see the roof of my 80, but it will certainly go on the 100 for family outings and expeditions. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Or you could even double decker it. Have people sleep on the roof top tent and in the cruiser. This is what we wound up doing in Death Valley. Except for one night, where it was cold we slept all three people in the roof top tent. It was way too cramped, but it was warm ;)

Went camping this past weekend. I have a nice little setup that allows for a great night sleep. It is called the Explorer 2 tent - fits right onthe back end.

I just put the gear up top and on the ground and valuables in the front seats. Threw some air pads down and there is plenty of room for my wife and I to sleep. I may take out the 3rd row next time as it is kind of narrow.

I just cracked the rear sliding windows and had no issues with bugs or fogging.

The website is http://www.tentsontrucks.com/explorer.html

Derek
IMG_1562c.jpg

I've been thinking about getting one of those. Here's one from another company. The materials are better but the price is $300-400. Not sure if it's worth the added cost for me.

http://www.xocom.com/ss/Sleepers.html

Here's one Lexus Accessory that I've never seen before.
acsy_20660.jpg

Raven, that's the exact setup i use except i put the lower gate down as well. Works awesome in the summer. In the winter i just use my NorthFace dome tent fly in place of the mosquito netting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom