1st post and 1st project : 1979 FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
First, let me introduce myself : my name is Hamad, and I'm from Qatar .. I'm a BIG fan of Toyota FJ40s and I think they are the ultimate small-size off-road trucks (sorry Jeep guys!). So I kept a plan in my mind to find and build the ultimate FJ40 but with modern years power and technology, so here I'm just bought this "barn find", if you well, 1979 FJ40 from a friend, got it for $3000. Its a locally imported truck which I think has many differences than the US imported ones. What made me buy this one is the fact that its complete, no 1 piece is missing in it (what you don't see it in the pics I got them in many cardboard boxes), and 2nd reason its fully loaded, it has factory winch, and factory A/C and front disc brakes.

The Plan :

- 5.3 LS swap.
- 4L80E HD trans.
- Atlas Transfer case.
- 4 in lift kit.
- 35 in. tires.
- Coils conversion, although I'm not sure if that can be done through a off-the-shelf conversion parts.

I will do everything myself (been working on cars my whole life, built some hotrods, muscle cars, and can do mechanics, electrics, and welding), and I will post a long every step I take to keep you entertained on my not so correct work and to document the project, of course I will ask hundreds of questions along the way so please be patient with me!

IMG_20200729_150824.jpg

IMG_20200729_150810.jpg

IMG_20200729_150341.jpg

Looks like youve got a reasonably good starting point, but a mountain of work ahead

Good luck and keep updating.

Hi guys,
First, let me introduce myself : my name is Hamad, and I'm from Qatar .. I'm a BIG fan of Toyota FJ40s and I think they are the ultimate small-size off-road trucks (sorry Jeep guys!). So I kept a plan in my mind to find and build the ultimate FJ40 but with modern years power and technology, so here I'm just bought this "barn find", if you well, 1979 FJ40 from a friend, got it for $3000. Its a locally imported truck which I think has many differences than the US imported ones. What made me buy this one is the fact that its complete, no 1 piece is missing in it (what you don't see it in the pics I got them in many cardboard boxes), and 2nd reason its fully loaded, it has factory winch, and factory A/C and front disc brakes.

The Plan :

- 5.3 LS swap.
- 4L80E HD trans.
- Atlas Transfer case.
- 4 in lift kit.
- 35 in. tires.
- Coils conversion, although I'm not sure if that can be done through a off-the-shelf conversion parts.

I will do everything myself (been working on cars my whole life, built some hotrods, muscle cars, and can do mechanics, electrics, and welding), and I will post a long every step I take to keep you entertained on my not so correct work and to document the project, of course I will ask hundreds of questions along the way so please be patient with me!

View attachment 2387556

View attachment 2387557

View attachment 2387553
Hey Hamad. Looks like a really great starting point. Wish mine was as solid. Hopefully in Qatar you don't have much rust to fight. Good luck. I just bought the same year FJ40. Mine however is a rust bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom