1st or 2nd Gen Tundra for using like an actual truck? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joseywales

Renaissance Redneck
Threads
Okay. I’m having a hell of a time finding a Tundra that is in good enough shape to consider buying for even remotely sane dollars. I’m trying to narrow down my search parameters to the best truck for the job. I’d want either a 1st gen crew cab, or a 2nd gen double cab configuration. I guess my main question would be: is a second gen built any “heavier” in the real world than a 1st gen? Obviously the 5.7 has a few benefits over the 4,7 and vice versa, but is there a noticeable difference in drive train or frame strength in either era? I intend to use whichever truck I find to haul more weight than it’s rated for, and occasionally tow near its limit as well. At risk of rambling, which would you consider the heavier duty chassis?

Last edited:
As you know I have a first gen, but in hindsight I wish I had pushed for a 2nd gen, primarily because I intend on carrying children in carseats so the larger backseat would help. However a plus to my 2wd 1st gen is that I can stand on the ground and reach in the bottom of the bed, which in my opinion, is invaluable for a truck, especially after having to climb into the back of my 100 series every time I hauled anything in it (I have a 30" inseam and 33" sleeve length if that gives any indication as to how far my reach could go).
While I don't intend on hauling anything crazy, in a pinch I could pull a boat or car trailer but I don't foresee that anytime soon.
When you say "built heavier" are you referring to frame strength, thickness of suspension components? If so, I would think the 2nd gen is going to be heavier but that is a relatively uneducated guess.
HTH

I’ve owned both, currently have a 2011 5.7 4x4 crew max. Love them both but for hauling and abusing I think the 2nd gen is the ticket. In my configuration I have a 10,500 max tow capacity and I get close to it regularly, trailer brakes and air bags make it easy. Sucks gas though 5-6 mpg with a heavy trailer…..also tanks are too small 26 gallon I think? New larger tank going in soon.

Looking underneath each, the 2nd gen isn’t significantly beefier. It’s a larger c channel shape, but it’s in boxed almost all the way back from cab to rear bumper.

They engineered these to be more flexible from my understanding, and on offroad or rough roads the bed area flexes a lot compared to the body. I’ve always considered boxing it, but didn’t want to screw with the engineering.

I have a small lift, currently on stock leafs (spacer) , I’ve worn out my icon kit (150k) and I’m due for new suspension.

I also had to replace timing chain tensioners around 185k I think. Noticeable tapping noise on cold starts and random warm conditions….keep an eye out for this.

Also, “cam towers” have a tsb for oil leaks….I resealed mine during the timing work.

Also, just received a recall for the steering rack…FYI.

I have 250k now, plenty of coast to coast hauling and long camping trips, it’s a great truck, comfortable, 4 dr is great for a kid and storage. Bottom line, I love my second gen, look forward to driving it into the ground forever.

Thanks for the insight boys. I think a 2nd gen DC is where I want to end up (no kids), and ideally with a 5.7 but they are pricey here. I kind of want to keep my Sequoia too, but if I go for the newer trucks, it’ll likely have to go.

I guess the real tell is in the tow ratings. The ‘04-06 era trucks (4x4) are rated for 6,500 with 4.7 and the ‘07+ trucks with 4.7 are rated at 7,900. Payloads are slightly less on the newer trucks, which may come from heavier curb weight.

I’m really kicking myself for not buying my friends 2010 CrewMax with 5.7 ARB bumper, suspension etc and a brand new engine, trans, t-case and axles curtesy of him hydrolocking the engine crossing a river. The interior etc stayed dry, so it wasn’t “flooded”, but insurance paid Toyota to replace everything. He sold it for what crappy stock trucks with chassis rust and half bald tires are going for today. I just had no use for a 1/2 ton at the time...

Personally, I'd go for a 2nd gen Crew Cab.

For some reason, the 1stgens are going for an insane amount of $ compared to the earlier year 2nd gens. I believe people stay away from the 07-10 years of the Tundra for some engine reason, but also because it's ugly and the 2.5gen have that modern face lift.

Both engines have their own set of issues, and I think it's a coin flip for whichever is "better". Despite how long the 5.7 has been out, it hasn't been touted as a million mile engine, and people who enjoy "more simple" vehicles will flock to the 4.7, as it's used in many platforms (sequoia,tundra,lc,lx).

I have zero need for the cousin cab, and actually like the ‘07-‘10 styling, so... The prices are all pretty high here in the PNW.

But the 4.7 vs 5.7 is interesting. I’ve owned three 4.7s, and all have been amazing. I would like the extra power and towing capacity of the 5.7 but I sure won’t discount a good truck with a 4.7 in it.

I have zero need for the cousin cab, and actually like the ‘07-‘10 styling, so... The prices are all pretty high here in the PNW.

But the 4.7 vs 5.7 is interesting. I’ve owned three 4.7s, and all have been amazing. I would like the extra power and towing capacity of the 5.7 but I sure won’t discount a good truck with a 4.7 in it.
I’d get a double cab myself for the extra foot of bed space and bigger gas tank (I think?), I didn’t exactly pick out the crew max, it was a buddy deal and turned out great as I know have a toddler and dog joining me on trips.

5.5’ bed fills up quick.

I love the 2uz motor also, have owned a few and I’m currently using a 100 as a donor for my wife’s 62 transplant. No complaints for general use…..but the 5.7 has about 160 more horses, if you’re towing 7k+ it’s a big deal. Also worth mentioning the braking power is significantly better in the 2nd gen, although I was warping rotors regularly from towing abuse. Upgraded to EBC slotted rotors and yellow pads and I’m much happier.

I looked at a DC tonight, but they wanted $22k for a 4.7 with no console, and 150,000 on it. Lower miles for sure, but I don’t really want to spend $22,000 on a 15 year old truck.

I looked at a DC tonight, but they wanted $22k for a 4.7 with no console, and 150,000 on it. Lower miles for sure, but I don’t really want to spend $22,000 on a 15 year old truck.
well you might want to wait until the used car frenzy dies down.

Or get a 'work' truck 6.0 2500 chevy WT or a late v10 f250. Both are super solid drivetrains and many were actual work trucks with less frills. Good thing with those trucks is that the interiors can be upgraded cheap from wrecked higher trim models.

I’m trying to get out of a “work” truck right now (3500 longbox), as I no longer have any use for such a big beast. I’m trying to get a truck I will enjoy driving, but still have the capacity for a bit of abuse now and then. I’m leaning strongly towards an ‘07+ Doublecab with the 5.7 at this point. There are only a couple for sale near me, but all have the front bench/column shift layout and I’d like a console shift. I will just have to be patient I guess. I’m waiting on a 2022 Bronco Wildtrak for the wife, so patience will be much in demand this year.

I've had a 1st gen sr5 access cab, and now have a '08 DC long bed. I don't think they ever rated a 1st gen for 10k towing. My setup is rated 10k. I also have airbags in the rear. I did break a small gear (spider gear?) in the 1st gen rear end. When I got it, it had 150k on it and I put another 65k on it myself. Rear diff issue was my only out of the ordinary problem with the 1st gen. My 2nd gen did have a radiator fail at about 137k. I liked them both. In all honesty though for the amount of varied tasks i do every day, and the number of tools, etc. I carrry I should be driving a sprinter van. talk about expensive!

Yeah, 1st gens were 6,500lb tow ratings at best. 2nd gen with the 4.7 got 7,900 lbs. I could live with 7,900, but obviously 10k would be better.

I think it's only the 5.7 long bed that got a 10k rating. I had to tow just under 14k one day a while back, and the truck didn't really like it. I was also being overly cautious.

I think it's only the 5.7 long bed that got a 10k rating. I had to tow just under 14k one day a while back, and the truck didn't really like it. I was also being overly cautious.

I barely tow 10,000 with my 3500. I don’t see any circumstance where I would tow more than 6,500 lbs. 14,000 with a Tundra is not something I would attempt...

It definitely wasn't by choice, I went to pick up a 125 size excavator, and when I got there the asked for machine was gone, and they "upgraded" me. Worst towing experience of my life so far. I didn't load the machine far enough into the trailer (12 foot dump trailer mind you), thereby creating a horrible tongue weight situation. I almost lost everything into a ditch, but managed to keep everything together with trailer brakes, and a whole lot of pucker factor. I got it to the next safe place where my boss was available to swap the trailer over to his f350. The "between the lines" portion of this is that we really need a decent flatbed trailer, but neither of us have the space to store one.

If they could somehow keep the Tundra specs largely the same, but get us 20mpg, that would be awesome.

It’s funny that you posted your towing story since I just closed on an acreage with an old house that is going to need a bunch of work, and one of the first things will be pulling a mini excavator over a mountain pass to dig foundations for my shop. I might just hold on to my 3500 until those types of jobs are done. It’s not like the “right” Tundra is jumping up and saying “buy me!” at this point anyway.

I owned a 2000 2wd, 4.7 Tundra for 14 years, it was an awesome truck. I had a full exhaust, CAI, 12 hole injectors and Unichip. It got out of its own way but not while towing. I towed way more than recommended with it. I love the size and styling of the early Tundra, especially 00-02. My step dad has a 2007 ECLB 4x4, 5.7. That 5.7 with the 6 speed is an absolute monster. On paper it's better in every category. If towing is a concern there is no question, 2nd gen all the way.

Yeah. I'd keep the big guy for a bit. It's crazy to me how much better the F350 handles that stuff. Granted, I think just the curb weight is a full ton heavier on the Ford than the Tundra.
Oh, it looks like Toyota got 14k rating on the newest ones. I'm not sure which style/trim combo yet though.

I think I’m definitely going 5.7 with console in a DC shortbed. 4x4 no matter what. But I’m going to take my time and find the right one. I have a new Bronco Wildtrak on order for my wife, and when it arrives I might sell my Sequoia as well, as that will boost my budget quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom