1st or 2nd Gen Tundra for using like an actual truck? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW my 230k mile one runs just as good as new. I'd look for one with higher miles and save some dough for mods. I have about $20k into mine. Plus... it's a truck, it doesn't need to shine like new.

The 35,000 mile one is gone. So is the black one I wanted. Oh well...

Nice truck. If it were a “soccer mom” longbed, I might be interested. If I needed an 8’ box, I’d keep my 3500. I <could> keep it, and just build a flatbed so the shortbed camper fits, but that defeats the purpose of getting a lighter truck, with a smaller camper and smaller overall footprint.

The black one near me has had the price drop a couple of times, so maybe he just pulled the ad for a week so he can list it again at a different price. It’s not a 5.7 though, so not the “perfect” truck. I don’t love black trucks either.

@jiggletits when bed is empty, or sliding stuff in on top of a load of tools? Like 4" down from bed rail height? If 8' stuff slides right in when empty, I guess that's cool. I never have an empty bed however, and stuff is either at an angle, or resting on about 1/2" of the tailgate top. Again, I should probably have a sprinter van for work but that's a whole other can o worms.

@joseywales There's a midwest on-line auction listing site called k-bid. There are a couple of Tundras on an auction there now. (Yes, upper mid-west so potential rust issues but another possible source nonetheless.

Oh. Mine did come with a "bedrug" installed. That silly thing probably eats up an inch. It does keep things from sliding around though.

The Second gen Tundra and Sequoia are MUCH beefier than the First gens.

First Gen stuff uses the same diffs as a first gen tacoma. Smaller 7.5" front diff vs the 9" (shared with the Land Cruiser) and 10in rear for the Second Gen Sequoia and 10.5in diff for the second gen Tundra vs the 8.4in in the 1st gen stuff.

That being said, they are also much bigger so a little more difficult to live with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom