1st Generation Tundras: Whatcha got? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I love my 2000 Tundra, 202k daily driver. Big, simple, reliable, and easy to work on. I live and work in the city. I have no need for 4WD but appreciate anyone that does. Its a work truck. I'd like to hear any stories about anyone else's rig. I've towed way more than I should have with it. It may not be as big as the Big 3, but the Big 3 suck.:flipoff2: I test drove the first one my dealer had back in 99, and started selling them new a year later. I sold more of them than anyone else on the lot because my customers could pick up on my passion for them. I love the new ones too. They're even bigger and badder. A little too computerized for my taste. They have got a bad rap due to some glitches. I want to see a factory diesel dully to truly shut Detroit up once and for all. Anyway, I wanted to start a thread dedicated to first gen Tundras. Leave your story. I'd love to hear it.
IMG_20121022_151840.jpg

I hope to find a low mileage one someday and swap the engine and tranny into my 60.

That would be sick. It is a great motor. Probably my favorite so far. If you get one out of an LC 100 series your tranny should line up with the offset rear diff. I've had a 20R, 22R, 22RE, and a 1FZ-FE. I dig the 5VZFE. I want to put one of those in my 86 4runner.

I just purchased my 2000 from my brother (friends since 3rd grade) today, Needs some work on the front end and some other stuff. For a grand i couldn't turn it down, even with 345k on the factory engine and trans. Runs great and shifts good too. Just needs a little love. :grinpimp:

One day the lump will go into a :pig: Either the one I have or the one I don't have yet. :cool:

Forgot to mention this was a lemon law trade in too, HAHA :flipoff2:

Needless to say today was a good day.

Got a 2003, we bought it new in the fall of 2002. It's been flawless for 190,000 miles now, and has taken our family of four camping all over the East. As the kids are nearing adulthood, it's just the wife and I on most trips now, so we've made ourselves more comfortable with our Teadrop trailer we've built.

Newish
[URL="http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3204/2343233423_69628495cd.jpg"] [/URL]

On Cape Lookout National Seashore
[URL="http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3035/2922779292_5218ff8863.jpg"] [/URL]

GWNF with our Teardrop
[URL="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8136047642_e1787e9ae6.jpg"] [/URL]

Anyone having trouble with their overdrive? I've been in the market for a Sequoia and heard some horror stories about the years from 01-02. I haven't had any issues with mine, but then again I don't know what was done to the truck before I got it at 150K.

Check out Tundrasolutions for that info. The first two years did have OD issues, I think most of the bad ones self-destructed at less than 100,000 miles. They changed to a stronger OD gear and bearing set (I think) starting with the 03s.

I wouldn't be afraid of one if it drove well, shifted fine, and seemed well maintained, but if I was really in the market I'd start with the 05/06 (VVTi engine and an even better trans) and shop my way down the years

Thanks for the heads up. The budget is only going to allow for an 03 or an 04. So I'm glad to hear they worked out the flaw. My truck has no issues however. I've kept up on the maintenance since ownership. The front end is getting a little squeaky so I think I have some work to do. Bushings, struts, etc.. Anyone done this type of work?

Check out Tundrasolutions for that info. The first two years did have OD issues, I think most of the bad ones self-destructed at less than 100,000 miles. They changed to a stronger OD gear and bearing set (I think) starting with the 03s.

This is mostly correct, but it was actually a thrust washer and the trucks that got the bad part blew up early, like 30 or 50K. :)

This is mostly correct, but it was actually a thrust washer and the trucks that got the bad part blew up early, like 30 or 50K. :)

Good, I sure hope so.....I recently bought a double-nut ('00) Tundie with 133K miles on it, and it has enough issues without the tranny going anytime soon.

Missed it by that much!

tumblr_mclaudtuGK1rsco2ho1_500.jpg

Bushings, struts, etc.. Anyone done this type of work?
I've replaced the struts (with Donahoes), the upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and the cv axles. It's all realtively easy if you've worked on automobiles before.

The struts and joints are in the near future. Next thing I'm doing is the timing belt and water pump. I have a neighborhood mechanic with all the tools and work space, going to save me hundreds! BTW I got an 03 Sequoia yesterday. It's nice......
IMG_20121104_063308.jpg

Here is my 2003 SR5. Icon coilovers, Camburg Arms, Wheelers leaf pack, timbren rear bump/bushing, Bistien 5150, homemade bumpers front and rear, Softtopper canopy, hanneman scoop hood, offroad fiberglass 3" fenders and pulled bedsides. This is my tow and camping rig that has served me very well. The action shot is from the Alvord desert in eastern Oregon. Whatcha think?
IMAG0976.jpg
IMAG0981.jpg
IMG_6525.jpg

Awesome rig.

Listen up guys!!! I have a 2006 Tundra access cab SR5 TRD.181000 miles.put brake pads & tires on it Thats ALL. GREAT truck!! recently it showed a trouble code P2445 secondary air pump stuck off. Apparently this is a problem with Tundras and V8 powered 4 runners and can be EXPENSIVE for dealers or even anyone else to fix. Heres what I did: There are two vacuum switches on the passenger side of the intake,I unhooked the vacuum lines to the switches and plugged the steel lines going to the intake. Drove the truck about 10 miles,ran GREAT. shut it off started it back up about an hour later,CEL is out,truck runs like a scalded dog.This air pump is an EPA mandated emissions device so when this or other codes pertaining to the pump system are set its a "hard code" & the truck goes into limp mode & runs like crap. So far this has worked for me.if it changes I will let you know.

Many thanks to my local mechanic for his help in curing this. I bought the truck new and it is the best truck I have ever owned. tows anything,goes like stink,its an animal off road bone stock.. 22 MPG highway.

Chrome45 said:
Listen up guys!!! I have a 2006 Tundra access cab SR5 TRD.181000 miles.put brake pads & tires on it Thats ALL. GREAT truck!! recently it showed a trouble code P2445 secondary air pump stuck off. Apparently this is a problem with Tundras and V8 powered 4 runners and can be EXPENSIVE for dealers or even anyone else to fix. Heres what I did: There are two vacuum switches on the passenger side of the intake,I unhooked the vacuum lines to the switches and plugged the steel lines going to the intake. Drove the truck about 10 miles,ran GREAT. shut it off started it back up about an hour later,CEL is out,truck runs like a scalded dog.This air pump is an EPA mandated emissions device so when this or other codes pertaining to the pump system are set its a "hard code" & the truck goes into limp mode & runs like crap. So far this has worked for me.if it changes I will let you know.

What motor? Is the 4.7 V8 the same in 2005 as 2006?

I believe 05 was the change to the VVTi motor.

I just got this not too long ago. As of yet I've only added a diehard platinum pm1 and some weathertech front mats. Line-x in the next few weeks probably and I'm trying to find an LC100 ARB bumper.

24w7otv.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom