Got a new 1st gen with very low miles. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, new member here. I picked up this new-to-me 1st gen 2001 Sequoia Limited w/ only 55k miles. I wasn't really in the market but it was a deal I just couldn't pass up. It has been impeccably maintained (timing belt done at 39k and that was 10 years ago). No rust. No mods. Just a few small scratches on the bumper from a kid learning to drive w/o backup cameras/sensors ;). Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Already have two other cars (Rav4 hybrid and a 2009 Tundra) and probably won't be getting rid of them. So maybe this becomes a project that we throw a lift and wheels and tires on for some off road camping or something. I feel like this thing might outlast me.

IMG-3702.jpg

Hey guys, new member here. I picked up this new-to-me 1st gen 2001 Sequoia Limited w/ only 55k miles. I wasn't really in the market but it was a deal I just couldn't pass up. It has been impeccably maintained (timing belt done at 39k and that was 10 years ago). No rust. No mods. Just a few small scratches on the bumper from a kid learning to drive w/o backup cameras/sensors ;). Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Already have two other cars (Rav4 hybrid and a 2009 Tundra) and probably won't be getting rid of them. So maybe this becomes a project that we throw a lift and wheels and tires on for some off road camping or something. I feel like this thing might outlast me.

View attachment 3405851
Congrats, looks like a great find especially with the miles. I would look into the FB groups. TSOR (Toyota Sequoia off road) is a great one. I have 270K miles on mine. Their great rigs. I wouldn't hesitate to have another lol If you decide to sell LMK.

Thanks, yeah I'm pretty psyched, but just need some ideas of what to do with it. I'll check out TSOR.

Thanks, yeah I'm pretty psyched, but just need some ideas of what to do with it. I'll check out TSOR.
What exactly are your plans? Personal I would keep any lift at 2.0 inch, at most 2.5. 1stgenoffroad.com is a good place to start for after market parts. What tire size interest you most?

Why a timing belt at 39k? Sounds like it sat quite a bit, which is never good for any vehicle. I'd just go through it and get all the mechanics done that these require (front end, etc...) Nice find!

Why a timing belt at 39k? Sounds like it sat quite a bit, which is never good for any vehicle. I'd just go through it and get all the mechanics done that these require (front end, etc...) Nice find!
It was 'due' by time, 6 years/90k miles is the interval. Technically it is due again since it has been 10 years.

It was 'due' by time, 6 years/90k miles is the interval. Technically it is due again since it has been 10 years.
AH YEAH, I ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT THE "TIME" FACTOR. GOOD DEAL. FAIRLY EASY TO DO YOURSELF. SORRY, KEYBOARD STUCK ON CAPS LOL

Yeah, I’d be doing the T belt again. 10 years is a lot of time on it regardless of the only 10k on it.

Mine has the ToyTec Ultimate kit in it with Eibach coils over Bilstein 5100s and the ride is sensational! It’s perfect with a 33” tire, which leaves the truck street capable, while also being phenomenal on the dirt. It’s not really a rock crawler, but 90% of us don’t need that. We are going to bring ours down to Colorado in September for a couple of weeks of exploring. Steamboat down to Telluride via Gunnison. We’ve done that route before and loved it. The Sequoia will be perfect for some of the easier passes.

Congrats on the clean truck! I find ours more comfortable than our 2019 Platinum!

C443D76E-5776-423B-9C86-C008DB17E22C.jpeg

Yeah, I’d be doing the T belt again. 10 years is a lot of time on it regardless of the only 10k on it.

Mine has the ToyTec Ultimate kit in it with Eibach coils over Bilstein 5100s and the ride is sensational! It’s perfect with a 33” tire, which leaves the truck street capable, while also being phenomenal on the dirt. It’s not really a rock crawler, but 90% of us don’t need that. We are going to bring ours down to Colorado in September for a couple of weeks of exploring. Steamboat down to Telluride via Gunnison. We’ve done that route before and loved it. The Sequoia will be perfect for some of the easier passes.

Congrats on the clean truck! I find ours more comfortable than our 2019 Platinum!

View attachment 3410749

Nice rig!, that's about what I'm looking to do to it. Gonna let the wife commute in it for the winter then lift it next spring. It is still getting 18.3 mpg!

Got it checked out by my mechanic. He said to do the timing belt next year and spark plugs, otherwise clean bill of health. He offered to buy it ;).

Gonna build it up as a light off roader and tow a small trailer for bikes and motorcycle. We have a lot of jeep roads around where I live so don't have to go far but we head out to the desert in the shoulder seasons.

Thanks shred. I wish I was getting 18… More like 15 now with lift and tires. To be fair, I drive like an ass and it IS a V8. I love the way these 1st gens drive. They are the last “true“ big Toyotas as the next generation was designed in the USA by American engineers. It really shows. My ‘19 Tundra drives like a really well built domestic truck, and the Sequoia drives like a true Toyota. The feel is more like my 100 series than anything else.

Any recommendations on free rust prevention on these? Is there any special coatings/treatments that are better than others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom