1pz injection pump removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping someone has a good link or so to previous posts on removing the injection pump on my pz , sending it away for resealing and have it recalibrated. Thank you

I am just looking for some extra guidance on making sure I have the timing marks correct before I start removing bolts , and wondering if I need to remove the timing belt and gears ? Thank you

First, have you done a timing belt? Helps in getting deep enough to pull pulley and get the pump off. The factory manual is very good at alignment description. The pump pulley also has its own mark to confirm.

You will need a dial indicator with the straight VW plunger or the factory one. The VW works fine with oil filter off.

Follow the FSM (factory manual not the spaghetti monster).

Get a cheap puller to free the gear off the pump shaft. Makes it much easier.

I did timing belt, water pump etc while I was in there.

Do I need to remove the gear ? The pump shaft looks to be a tapered fit into the gear. I was gonna try and leave it in place .

I may be misunderstanding you so bear with me.

Here is the gear in question. (Bottom right obviously)
IMG_20230328_164547_379.jpg

Here is the pump shaft: (my 1hz pump but the same for illustrative purposes)
IMG_20230328_143019_079.jpg

It goes through the back of the timing case. There is a woodruff key that centers and keys the pulley but the timing case is sandwiched between the gear and the pump. Pump is pulled back through after gear is removed. Hope this makes sense. Spend some time with the service manual it makes more sense than me.

The bolt on the pump itself in the center of the gear is what I'm wondering , I'm hoping to leave the gear and timing belt on and not have to remove it and the belt tensioner . Was thinking I could just remove the center bolt and then the bolts on the rear of the housing to remove the pump

I win , finally

20230516_215119.jpg

How difficult would you rate this job? Been considering it myself.

I did this myself years back on the PZJ70 that I had. For me the hardest part was putting it back in because I couldn't get the woodruff key lined up during install. I imagine this would be a hell of a lot easier with the motor out. It is like the shaft really only has four positions it will stop in when you spin it and it is hard to make it stay anywhere in between those four positions.

Last edited:
I did this myself years back on the PZJ70 that I had. For me the hardest part was putting it back in because I couldn't get the woodruff key lined up during install. I imagine this would be a hell of a lot easier with the motor out. It is like the shaft really only has four positions it will stop in when you spin it and it is hard to make it stay anywhere in between those four positions.

I had the exact same problem on my 1hz. I finally ended up turning the motor slightly on the crank bolt to get it to line up with the pump instead of fighting the pump.

I had the exact same problem on my 1hz. I finally ended up turning the motor slightly on the crank bolt to get it to line up with the pump instead of fighting the pump.

I didn't think about that. I was new to the process at the time. I ended up having to use a endoscope from amazon and many tries to finally get it in.

I imagine the 1HZ is the same but the fuel lines from the IP to the block for the 1PZ can be confusing too if you don't take a picture of of the layout first (ask me how I know). It was a jigsaw puzzle.

I wouldn't say this has been that bad of a job yet at all , pump is freshly rebuilt and in transit back to me for the reinstall . Hoping all goes well , I did ask also about the location of the keyway and if the pump is timed to #1 TDC . They were gonna make sure its in the correct position for that. I did take a load of pics before hand of the fuel line layout , I am also going to remove my fuel lines from the injectors and spray them out with cleaner and some air because I know that I did get some crap in one while removing the pump , figured to be safe I'll do all five .
How difficult would you rate this job? Been considering it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom