1KZ-TE Swap Into 1988 Xtracab - Help identify model this engine came from. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You might be able to use mounts something like these to compensate for the angle difference.
27F11712-E6E1-4BB9-87A2-C34F2BBBE410.png
5C55B77B-5092-40DA-B29A-5EE5D82FC57E.png

Don’t know if you’d have enough space. For some engine swaps, a plate is used to reposition the mount on the block (and adapting bolt pattern).

Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably get some factory Toyota mounts. The ones supporting the 3VZ were shot and no longer bonded to the motor side plates. I'm going to be moving the mounts back a bit anyways so I'll just fab up something. I was exploring the option of using some fancier mounts but I think I'll stick with OEM.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 22R(E)/ 3VZ mounts compared to the ones specd. for the 1KZ-TE. I wonder if they're taller/ shorter or better suited to dampen diesel vibration frequencies, etc.

They're a bit more expensive but probably would be a safe bet to get them. Only problem is I don't know of the stamped cup deal that sits between the mount and motor mount bracket is interchangeable. I wouldn't want to be forced to buy those as well.

Do you know how smooth that diesel engine is?

I know some diesel engines need extra vibration dampening... others are smooth as silk and don't need fluid filled engine mounts to prevent them from rattling out your fillings.

Do you know how smooth that diesel engine is?

I know some diesel engines need extra vibration dampening... others are smooth as silk and don't need fluid filled engine mounts to prevent them from rattling out your fillings.
These are smoothish but still diesels.Later Prafo had hydraulic damped mounts.
BTW did u you establish what the donor
Vehicle was ?
If not share the pump number 22100-????
And the turbo should be etched 17201-???
I'll see if I can help

I would certainly like to nail the model down. GTSsportCoupe Suggested a KZJ95. I'd be I interested to know if this engine came from the Australia or Japanese market.

I could not find the etching on the turbo. Where might it be?

I spent today making some lifting points for the block, breaking AC compressor, alternator and the tranny off then lowering it into to the frame. The angles are certainly off between the factory frame pedestals and motor brackets. I have some wooden door stops in there for now, lol.

Getting the transmission and transfer case back mated to the engine was a bear. Used some strategically placed 2x4s, a pallet jack and floor jack to get the alignment right. Then some C clamps to draw it together enough to get the bolts started.

I think my oil pan will be correct for the SAS I have planned. Some modding will be needed to clear pumpkin and steering linkage. I want a 3 link if budget allows.

Clearance look good (other than hood). I have 3.75" between fan and radiator support. I can shorten the fans hub by about .375" before I risk hitting the AC compressor and I think there's some room to bump the motor back another .750 or 1inch if it will still allow removal of the valve cover without hitting the heater core inlet and outlet.

I hope to find another topshift gear driven transfer case to adapt to the R150F. The transfer case installed currently is LH drop.

20220116_164524_resize_36.jpg

20220116_192541_resize_23.jpg
20220116_192602.jpg
20220116_192632.jpg

Last edited:
Any idea how the rubber isolated mounts that originally fitted to the 1KZ differ from those you might find on a 22RE or 3VZ?

Played with some mount designs for the chassis side. The mounting bosses on the 1KZ are on a 35* angle while the 3VZ set on a 45*. I cut one mount on the bandsaw. I need to scrounge up some 1/8" plate to make make the pedestal from then weld it to the mount. I'll make the second if I'm happy with the way the motor sits with these dimensions.

I need to order some OEM isolators before I finalize anything.
20220117_133400_resize_80.jpg

20220117_170711_resize_39.jpg
20220117_141614_resize_38.jpg
20220117_140807_resize_27.jpg

Played with some mount designs for the chassis side. The mounting bosses on the 1KZ are on a 35* angle while the 3VZ set on a 45*. I cut one mount on the bandsaw. I need to scrounge up some 1/8" plate to make make the pedestal from then weld it to the mount. I'll make the second if I'm happy with the way the motor sits with these dimensions.

I need to order some OEM isolators before I finalize anything.View attachment 2897263
View attachment 2897260View attachment 2897261View attachment 2897262

Nice little saw. I bet it comes in handy.

I was going to suggest you could raid my scrap metal pile, and then I remembered that you’re not on the local page. I’m sure it would be better to get some closer to home.

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I have some thin plate or my brother in law has some.

I restored the saw about a year ago (still needs some finishing touches). It's pretty slick, weighs over 2000lbs has 3 gears with variable speed and has hydraulic power feed.

Had my ECU eeprom flashed and an emulator mailed to emulate the immo signal. Still not working. I'm not convinced I have the correct wires tied to the immobilizer emulator because I haven't found a schematic that matches 100%.

Can anyone confirm what ports/pins are IMO, IMI and EOM on the ECU?

I have four ports on my ECU, from left to right 31, 24, 28 and 22 pins respectively.

My schematic shows:
IMO as pin 15 in the 22 pin port.
IMI as pin 7 in the 24 pin port.
EOM as pin 20 in the 28 pin port.

Also can anybody confirm the throttle butterfly cycling when turning on the ignition?

Thanks for the help.

What did you figure out for the engine mounts
I started a thread here with some details.

Been some big delays with this project. But am making some progress again.

Had my ECU eeprom flashed and an emulator mailed to emulate the immo signal. Still not working. I'm not convinced I have the correct wires tied to the immobilizer emulator because I haven't found a schematic that matches 100%.

Can anyone confirm what ports/pins are IMO, IMI and EOM on the ECU?

I have four ports on my ECU, from left to right 31, 24, 28 and 22 pins respectively.

My schematic shows:
IMO as pin 15 in the 22 pin port.
IMI as pin 7 in the 24 pin port.
EOM as pin 20 in the 28 pin port.

Also can anybody confirm the throttle butterfly cycling when turning on the ignition?

Thanks for the help.
Did you get this engine to run?
I have a 2002 kz-te with ECU , I have the wiring diagram I used for mine if you need help
mine did not have the imoblizer. i also have a spare ECU without the imobilizer.

Where are you located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom