1KZ-T.. No longer TE (Mitsu 4m40 pump swap) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just ordered a pump off ebay UK. The part number was ME201696. I’m sure there were several part numbers depending on specs. Mine came off a Pajero Shogun 2.8. I paid about $200 after shipping.

I have done a manual pump (hybrid 2LT and 1KZTE) here is NZ.
For the Tacho I used a kit from Jaycar....
Speedo Corrector MkII Kit "Kit Back Catalogue" - Jaycar Electronics
As the sensor in the 2LT pump was different to the 1KZTE.....
I still have the factory ECU which now just drives the Glow plugs....
Also I run the auto and manualised it....
Here is a link to what I have done.
A340 Auto manualising completed | New Zealand 4wd Forums Offroad Express
I tried to have the auto run like factory keeping the TPS sensor but it didn't like it and was very slow to up change gears at hi-way speeds....
So went the manual way... Works great and didn't need to buy some expensive aftermarket controller.
Just need to flick a switch for torque converter lock up....
But its a play truck now not a daily driver so not an issue.

For setting my timing I used the 1KZT setting but it was too advanced, pulled really well but was very noisy, sounded like a petrol motor pinking...
I just set it by ear, backed off the timing until it sounded smooth at idle (when hot)...
Took it for a drive.. And adjusted a little bit more advance so it didn't get the horrible pinking...
Seems to run fine....But still tweaking.. Playing with boost compensator next..

Do you have the details on how you did the hybrid of the 2LT and the 1ZK-Te pumps? and will the Auto tranny still function from the factory ecu?

AND, it's already been brought up in an email, so I figure I'll post my thinking on the subject here.

To avoid having to machine the mounting slots, I came up with the idea of just moving the timing gear in the case to get the offset I needed to put the pump in the ballpark. Thing is, the camshaft is driven by a timing belt that is driven by the pump timing gear. Any offset to that gear would also offset the timing belt and cam. The timing belt pulleys are both odd-numbered, and unless the timing gear had a multiple of that number of teeth, I wouldn't be able to offset the timing belt by a tooth. That, plus the fact that I'd have to open the timing case (something I wanted to avoid if at all possible), resulted in me just slotting the holes beyond stock.

So far you guys are pretty much caught up on my progress. If you have any questions, let me know. I'll definitely be keeping this thread updated as I sort out the other small issues.. but so far I'm convinced this is a great option for the 1KZ-TE engine. For anyone considering a 1KZ-TE swap, it should be noted that you can buy the pump and throttle linkage for around the amount of money you'd get for a good used 1KZ-TE pump and ECU.. resulting in a mechanical pump 1KZ. That would require ditching the automatic, or using an aftermarket transmission controller (these are commonly used by Supra guys). That makes the whole swap far more attractive from my perspective.

-Justin
The aftermarket transmission controller you mentioned, do you have a part number or link? I really want to keep the auto tranny functioning as this is my daily driver. KZJ95 Prado with the 1KZ-Te.

The aftermarket transmission controller you mentioned, do you have a part number or link? I really want to keep the auto tranny functioning as this is my daily driver. KZJ95 Prado with the 1KZ-Te.

I don't, but if you google "standalone toyota transmission controller" there are (or used to be) products available, though they were VERY expensive. I even remember a DIY thread where someone appeared to be designing their own. I didn't see how far that got.

Do you have the details on how you did the hybrid of the 2LT and the 1ZK-Te pumps? and will the Auto tranny still function from the factory ecu?

Ahh no it was done by a company that specialize in making and modifying pumps. Kaiapoi Repowers in New Zealand. Kaiapoi Repowers |
They have fitted them to auto's and with some fine tuning of the TPS you can get it to run.... I went for total manual control....

Hello all,

4M40 is a 2.8 liter mitsubishi turbodiesel engine, with a factory intercooler. It is indirect injected, also with 150kpa opening pressure. It uses a Zexel mechanical injection pump, with boost compensator.
Hi Everyone

I am doing research/ searching for a mechanical pump that will fit (without extensive modification) on a 3.0 L Toyota block, like the 1KZ or 1KD engine. I know that the 4M40 pump will fit with minor modification, but it doesn't generate enough pressure for my application. I need enough pressure for a direct injection engine. To my knowledge the 4M40 generates about 15,000 kpa (2175 psi)? I presume the above is a typo? It should be 15,000 kpa? Any ways, does anyone know of a pump that either makes 19,000 kpa (2700 psi) or how I could modify a 1KZ-T or 4M40 pump to make that much pressure? Thank you. Gary

To avoid having to machine the mounting slots, I came up with the idea of just moving the timing gear in the case to get the offset I needed to put the pump in the ballpark. Thing is, the camshaft is driven by a timing belt that is driven by the pump timing gear. Any offset to that gear would also offset the timing belt and cam. The timing belt pulleys are both odd-numbered, and unless the timing gear had a multiple of that number of teeth, I wouldn't be able to offset the timing belt by a tooth. That, plus the fact that I'd have to open the timing case (something I wanted to avoid if at all possible), resulted in me just slotting the holes beyond stock.

hello. sorry for necro-ing this post. i need some clarification on this quote. Did he move one tooth on the injection pump gear?

hello. sorry for necro-ing this post. i need some clarification on this quote. Did he move one tooth on the injection pump gear?
No. I just made the mounting post slots bigger so I could tilt the pump further.

Is it possible if i just move one tooth infront of the pump gear? I talked to a guy he said he moved a tooth.
It has been too long since I did all this to remember, sorry. Note what I said about turning the gear moving the timing belt pulley though.

Hey bloc great write up mate I'm wanting to do this myself but wnat to know about the term turn out. How many ks have you done and have you had any issues with the motor due to timing?

Amazing job by OP, but in 2023, you can achieve majority of same tuning benefits by modifying resistor values on the factory (JDM) electronic fuel pump instead (UKDM 4runner with 1KZ was mech pump).

Easiest way is by interrupting the 2 signal cables from the pump top ECU at the ECU, and wiring in a small variable pot in series, giving you the ability to adjust (add resistance) to increase both fuel and timing. Which you can handily mount on the dashboard or centre console.

You need to measure the values of existing resistors first (which can vary), and then ensure you don't adjust beyond a limit of 1.5k *total* resistance for both values (as the resistors in the pump will still be in series). Having said this, increasing fuel doesn't do much without other physical mods, and nearly all gains on standard setup are from increasing timing only. I would advise adding a water and even better EGT temp guage to monitor, but other peopels best results have been around the 1.3k to 1.5k range on the timing resistance. This will also increase NOx emissions (original reason for factory retarding timing), but you can dial back for testing cert purposes. I would oinly increase fuel once you have sorted the restrictive turbo downpipe and remaining breathing.

N.B. ECU pinouts are different for the Auto and Manual trans!

Ran mine like this for 8 years+ now, along with the torque converter lockup switch mod, and it makes a huge difference to help keep cooling down and make decent amount more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom