1KD head onto 1KZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
So finally decided on exactly what to do with my upcoming mish-mash landcruiser projects engine, 1KD with mechanical injection. (1KD motor, 1HD injectors and 4M40 mechanical pump).
1KZ with 4M40 pump
1KZ-T.. No longer TE (Mitsu 4m40 pump swap)
will post a link later for the 1KD with 1HD-T injectors and mech fuel pump

Rather then buying a second hand 1KD for about 4-6,000 AUD i can buy a brand new complete cylinder head ($1400 AUD) then a cheap 1KZ (~$1000, perhaps less if i just get a block) and get some aftermarket 1KD pistons (hopefully find something stronger then the standard toyota ones) and rebuild the bottom end for much less then the 1KD motor, as a lot of the cost is in the injection and fuelling system i won't be needing.

What I'm hoping from you guys is confirmation that a 1KD head will bolt onto a 1KZ block and hopefully a diesel guru will be able to tell me any (if any) differences between the blocks. I know new pistons will be required but am hoping the same length/design con-rods have been used and there are no other major changes i need to worry about
cheers
Luke

Hey guys,
So finally decided on exactly what to do with my upcoming mish-mash landcruiser projects engine, 1KD with mechanical injection. (1KD motor, 1HD injectors and 4M40 mechanical pump).
1KZ with 4M40 pump
1KZ-T.. No longer TE (Mitsu 4m40 pump swap)
will post a link later for the 1KD with 1HD-T injectors and mech fuel pump

Rather then buying a second hand 1KD for about 4-6,000 AUD i can buy a brand new complete cylinder head ($1400 AUD) then a cheap 1KZ (~$1000, perhaps less if i just get a block) and get some aftermarket 1KD pistons (hopefully find something stronger then the standard toyota ones) and rebuild the bottom end for much less then the 1KD motor, as a lot of the cost is in the injection and fuelling system i won't be needing.

What I'm hoping from you guys is confirmation that a 1KD head will bolt onto a 1KZ block and hopefully a diesel guru will be able to tell me any (if any) differences between the blocks. I know new pistons will be required but am hoping the same length/design con-rods have been used and there are no other major changes i need to worry about
cheers
Luke

This guy has been working on the same sort of thing. You could contact him and see how he's made out with it: Compound turbo 1kz-te project

Some time ago I looked into this quite a bit. A fellow on another forum who seemed to be the sort of person who might know, claimed the 1KZ and 1KD blocks were the same. I can't remember what forum it was. Everything I read said the 1KD head will go straight on buy I can't remember anything concrete.

4m40 injector pumps are pretty common and dirt cheap on Euro eBay. 14B-T pumps will also fit and they have a 12mm plunger but are more expensive and much harder to get.

Please document it if you do build this up, I'd love to see your project.

This guy has been working on the same sort of thing. You could contact him and see how he's made out with it: Compound turbo 1kz-te project
Good to read the head bolted straight on, but he changed the pistons and the rods, i wonder if that's because the pistons have a different offset, hence requiring 1KD rods?
I've sent him a message, so hopefully i hear back soon.
It also looks like he's only about a 45min drive away, which is helpful

Am i right in thinking that my plans of modifying a 1KZ/KD would get around 1L/100km better fuel economy then a standard 1KZ.
plan so far is;
- block/remove EGR
- remove throttle plate
- VNT turbo (using boost pressure to determine the opening/closing of the vanes)
- custom equal length steam pipe manifold and port match to head
- 3" exhaust
- custom WTA intercooler
- decent air intake system (short minimal bends with donaldson air box and snorkel)
- modify intake manifold? (better air flow to all cylinders) port match to head
- remove balance shafts? (not sure if this is a good idea yet)
- fit 6 speed gearbox from 150 prado and match diff ratios with tyres/gearbox
- skinny alloy rims with on-road tyres (then an aggressive set of skinnies on land cruiser splits for 4x4 work)
- catch can (although won't improve fuel economy)
- clean up around valves (have read the casting can be average at best)

one thing mentioned in the above link is that he would have installed a 13BT instead of the hybrid (if he didn't have a 1KD laying around), surely the 1KZ/KD would get significantly better fuel economy and be much lighter then the 13BT though...

bit more info for those who are looking at doing similar
the conrods are a different length
need 1kd timing covers, including the rear one with the oil pump
thanks to bumpstopbrawler26 for the info
looks like it might end up being cheaper/easier to start with a 1KD after all...

Yeah it all comes down to money. I was lucky as I had a 1kd with a melted piston as a donor. Pistons are cheap from overseas, but I used the rods from my spare engine. If I used a 1kd again I would have bought a complete engine and kept the common rail.

and you were saying the fuel economy was better on the 1KZ then the hybrid, i was expecting about a 1L/100km better economy from a built hybrid.
I figure direct injection is more efficient, plus the other efficiency adders above should yield the better economy.
Guess back to researching...

Guess it's plan b then a 4JB1-T, very common and cheap here in Aus.
Was hoping to keep it all Toyota though.
For those not familiar it's an Isuzu 2.8l OHV direct injection motor with a mechanical fuel pump. It should weigh in about 50-100kgs lighter then a 1KZ with slightly less power and torque, but it also runs less boost.
Biggest issue seems to be the transfer cases on the gearboxes is on the wrong side, will post over on the j90 section to see if it's as simple as swapping the ifs shafts over and relocating the front diff. Rear diff is centred so no issues there

Aiming for under 10l/100km with 100kw and 300nm of flatish torque (flywheel figures), preferably direct injection and it has to be purely mechanically injected (no ECU's for reliability).
I currently have a 12ht in my 60, which was what I was going to use, but there should be something smaller (capacity), lighter and with better fuel economy I can add a vnt turbo and 3" exhaust that will give similar power/torque. Was also looking for a 6 speed gearbox to help make up for the lack of off boost torque from a smaller displacement motor
Aiming for total empty vehicle weight of under 1600kg, so a 400+ kg 12ht (with trans) makes that near impossible.
Was ideally looking to keep it all Toyota (hence the appeal of a 1kd/kz) but logically the isuzu 4BJ1-T would work better as it's cheaper, lighter, better fuel economy and has similar power.

Seems like a lot of trouble for better economy . And if it's power your after 150rwhp is possible from the electronic pump version with only a unichip . Turbos pushed a bit though @24psi
I'm sure a conservative tune driven conservatively would yield slightly better economy

Yep . At that tune it's still at factory afr's and egts aren't an issue. The cooling system doesn't have a problem either but the offset of more fuel is more heat so would be working harder .

Hey Millet,
Sonunda yaklaşmakta olan mish-mash landcruiser projeleri motorum, mekanik enjeksiyonlu 1KD ile tam olarak ne yapılacağına karar verdim. (1KD motor, 1HD enjektörler ve 4M40 mekanik pompa).
4M40 pompalı 1KZ
1KZ-T .. Artık TE değil (Mitsu 4m40 pompa değişimi)
1HD-T enjektörleri ve mekanik yakıt pompası ile 1KD için daha sonra bir bağlantı yayınlayacak

Daha sonra yaklaşık 4-6.000 AUD karşılığında ikinci el bir 1KD satın almak yerine, yepyeni bir komple silindir kafası (1400 $ AUD) ve ardından ucuz bir 1KZ (~ 1000 $, belki de sadece bir blok alırsam daha az) ve bazı satış sonrası 1KD pistonları alabilirim ( umarım standart toyota olanlardan daha güçlü bir şey bulun) ve alt ucu 1KD motordan çok daha ucuza yeniden inşa edin, çünkü maliyetin çoğu enjeksiyon ve yakıt sistemindedir, ihtiyacım olmayacak.

Sizlerden umduğum şey, 1KD kafanın 1KZ bloğa vidalanacağını ve umarım bir dizel ustasının bloklar arasındaki herhangi bir (varsa) farkı bana söyleyebileceğini onaylamaktır. Yeni pistonların gerekli olacağını biliyorum, ancak aynı uzunlukta / tasarım biyel kollarının kullanıldığını ve endişelenmem gereken başka önemli değişikliklerin olmadığını umuyorum
şerefe
Luke
Hello, how did you screw the 1hd injectors to the 1 kd engine? (Is it an injector of the turbocharged version with 1hdt or 1 hd engine an atmospheric one?) Can we plug the nozzles of 1hd into an injector that fits the blog? Can you share details about injectors, which have always talked about pumps? By the way, has the engine been running smoothly since that day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom