1hz smooking in the morning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone
It's a while that my cruiser smokes after starting up to 30 seconds and doesn't smoke anymore.
The engine starts easily and rapidly even in the cold weather (below 0°C) but it smokes about 30 seconds specially when it has been turnned off for a few hours.
The smoke color is something between white and grey and the rpm is low when it is smoking and I should push the gas pedal for a few seconds because it may turn off.
I should add something else. I thought that this happens in just cold weather but now I see that it is happening in warmer weather too.
Does anyone know that how does injection pump leakoff bolt work? I guess that the problem is with it.

What do you consider warmer weather? I get a little bit of that smoke on anything under 40. Clears up when you give a bit of throttle and she heats up.

What do you consider warmer weather? I get a little bit of that smoke on anything under 40. Clears up when you give a bit of throttle and she heats up.
Warmer weather I mean even about 45 to 50 and it doesn't clear when I give throttle. It just clear after about 30-40 seconds.

This may sound stupid, but I'm assuming you've already tried replacing glow plugs? And/or checked whether the relay is working as it's supposed to?

This may sound stupid, but I'm assuming you've already tried replacing glow plugs? And/or checked whether the relay is working as it's supposed to?
I've checked glow plugs.They are working well

1)you need to check the glows in a way that verifies both that the plugs are functioning, ie direct application of voltage to the plug rail, and
in a way to check the functioning of the glow timer system electrics, manual glows is the best option in my opinion
2)check that there isnt air entering your diesel system with a clear hose to visibly see the air before or after the lift pump/primer
3) it could be leaky valve stem seals etc....

Glow plugs to begin with.
Smoking at start up until the engine warms up is a clue. One bad glow plug is all you need to cause smoke, so change them all.

Hello everyone
It's a while that my cruiser smokes after starting up to 30 seconds and doesn't smoke anymore.
The engine starts easily and rapidly even in the cold weather (below 0°C) but it smokes about 30 seconds specially when it has been turnned off for a few hours.
The smoke color is something between white and grey and the rpm is low when it is smoking and I should push the gas pedal for a few seconds because it may turn off.
I should add something else. I thought that this happens in just cold weather but now I see that it is happening in warmer weather too.
Does anyone know that how does injection pump leakoff bolt work? I guess that the problem is with it.
Diesel Smoke tells YOU a Story... - https://costeffective.com.au/2020/01/05/diesel-smoke-tells-you-a-story/
Search for [cold start] , and at the second occurrance you'll find what you need 😀

How long are you letting the plugs glow on first start? How did you check them? Is the smoke immediate or does it start after about 5ish seconds? Is your ACSD still in place or no?

Just for point of reference, with strong battery(s) and a properly functioning glow system, this engine can start in the minus teens (celsius) with virtually no smoke, even with lots of miles on it...

A proper 1HZ will start at -30C, we've run many of these which stay outside all night long. Yes we might cycle the glow plugs a few times and add a bit of throttle but they start.
They also run on 15W40 and that is common for the underground mining fleet.

1)you need to check the glows in a way that verifies both that the plugs are functioning, ie direct application of voltage to the plug rail, and
in a way to check the functioning of the glow timer system electrics, manual glows is the best option in my opinion
2)check that there isnt air entering your diesel system with a clear hose to visibly see the air before or after the lift pump/primer
3) it could be leaky valve stem seals etc....
Thanks for reply.
Bro I've checked glow plugs recently but mine doesn't have any timer.

Glow plugs to begin with.
Smoking at start up until the engine warms up is a clue. One bad glow plug is all you need to cause smoke, so change them all.
I've checked glow plugs recently. Just one of them needed to change and I changed it

How long are you letting the plugs glow on first start? How did you check them? Is the smoke immediate or does it start after about 5ish seconds? Is your ACSD still in place or no?
About 8-10secs letting plugs glow on first start. even in warmer weather (10°C) it smokes.
I've checked them in a way that the head of plugs getting red after 5 secs.
It smokes immediately and the rpm is low up to 30 secs.
Mine doesn't have ACSD.

Just for point of reference, with strong battery(s) and a properly functioning glow system, this engine can start in the minus teens (celsius) with virtually no smoke, even with lots of miles on it...
Yes but I'm certain that the problem is not low temprature.

A proper 1HZ will start at -30C, we've run many of these which stay outside all night long. Yes we might cycle the glow plugs a few times and add a bit of throttle but they start.
They also run on 15W40 and that is common for the underground mining fleet.
Yes bro, the problem is not low temp

does your truck have a super glow system or not?

If your truck has a super glow system, glow plugs should be rated at about half of the truck's voltage. A 24V truck would have 12V glow plugs. In the Superglow system there are two paths for voltage to reach the glow plugs. Each path is controlled by a relay. The first relay will put the full 24volts on the glow plugs but only for a few seconds. Then a second relay will put voltage through a resistor and drop the voltage down to 12V. This secondary glow lasts longer based on coolant temp. You should take a voltage reading while someone puts the key in the truck and starts to run the glow system. You should see 24v for a few seconds before it kicks down to 12V. If you never see the full 24V, I would look at that relay. If you are getting 24V and then it drops to 12V, Then your relays and control for them is working.

There is a master glow system thread on mud that has all the part number for all the different combos of glow systems and voltages.

does your truck have a super glow system or not?

If your truck has a super glow system, glow plugs should be rated at about half of the truck's voltage. A 24V truck would have 12V glow plugs. In the Superglow system there are two paths for voltage to reach the glow plugs. Each path is controlled by a relay. The first relay will put the full 24volts on the glow plugs but only for a few seconds. Then a second relay will put voltage through a resistor and drop the voltage down to 12V. This secondary glow lasts longer based on coolant temp. You should take a voltage reading while someone puts the key in the truck and starts to run the glow system. You should see 24v for a few seconds before it kicks down to 12V. If you never see the full 24V, I would look at that relay. If you are getting 24V and then it drops to 12V, Then your relays and control for them is working.

There is a master glow system thread on mud that has all the part number for all the different combos of glow systems and voltages.

Yep! I did this test on mine in an attempt to eliminate the smoke. At 33 years old she sent 22v to the glow plugs until the relay clicked out (this can take up to about 8 secs depending on temp) and then 12v for quite a awhile after.

I also did the test with the glow out of the head.. 8 seconds approx to get a glow that was showing about halfway or more down the plug...

Bro I've checked glow plugs recently but mine doesn't have any timer.
So do I read this as saying you have a Wilson switch installed and you hold the button?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom