1HZ alternator specs?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HZJ60 Guy

Tank Buster
Threads
Im looking into buying a higher output alternator for my HZJ60. Does anyone here know the specs of the stock Hzed alternator? AND, does anyone know whether I can use a large case alternator in place of the stock unit? I dont have my truck in my posession so I cant go out and measure it....

Thanks.

Im looking at a Balmar large case 140 amp 24V alternator.

your HZ it's 24V . ?

I thought you can run whatever alt you want .. cos you don't have to deal with vac pump .. it's only a matter to make a braket ..

your HZ it's 24V . ?

I thought you can run whatever alt you want .. cos you don't have to deal with vac pump .. it's only a matter to make a braket ..

Yes my alternator is 24V.

The system is 24V. Id like to run a large case 24V alternator from Balmar.

So what do you need all the power for? Big ass stereo? Welder??

So what do you need all the power for? Big ass stereo? Welder??

Nope. I found a 24 Volt compressor, and 24V driving lights. Mostly Im just a "like to have more than less" kind of guy. You can never have to much power... Or to many amps.... Etc etc etc. I do want a good stereo, and Ive got an ARB refridgerator/freezer than I want to carry along.... That sort of thing...

Ahh I see. I would think the stock alternator would around 60 amps on the 1HZ. But that is not proof.

Ive heard as little as 25... That's why Im trying to find out.

No not 25.... even my BJ series has 55-60.

I think 60 with a 24 volt system can do anything you are looking for. 1440 watts continuous.

No not 25.... even my BJ series has 55-60.

I think 60 with a 24 volt system can do anything you are looking for. 1440 watts continuous.

bb, perhaps there is confusion between the 24V specs and 12V specs. The 24V Cruiser alternators are typically 30amps (which equals 60amp at 12V), and the older 12V alternators are typically 55-60 amps, or even higher.

EPC for the HZ 7* series shows 55 amp up to 110amp amp depending on 12V application, but in no 24V applications shows more then 30amp. EPC shows the 80 series 12V HZ/HD-T alts as 60, 80, or 100amps, depending on year/model

hth's

gb

Last edited:
Thanks Greg-man. So it sounds like Ive got a 30 amp model. Sure would like to have one of those 70 or even a 140 amp jobber.... Refill them batteries quickly after winching them down.....:D

Interesting Greg. Thanks.

Is there anyway of knowing what it is by looking at it?

Balmar 97 series. 24V 140 amps.... 77 amps at 2500 RPM. AHHHHHH!
24V alternator 140 amp.jpg

Greg .. My 2H 12V alt was 60 amps.. no clues poor power .. :frown: btu just wondering in the EPC you many amps I have in the 95 HDJ-80 alt . ?

Wow u guys are good .. I'm still road side and just found out my regulator is internal to the alternator,, it was putting out 19v and started to fry both my optima batteries ... i assume the regulator is stuffed .. i believe in only dealing with an issue 1 time and doing it right.. is there any advantage or would you be creating a better system if i put an external regulator on that is of a higher quality and adjustable ? Thanks guys.

Wow u guys are good .. I'm still road side and just found out my regulator is internal to the alternator,, it was putting out 19v and started to fry both my optima batteries ... i assume the regulator is stuffed .. i believe in only dealing with an issue 1 time and doing it right.. is there any advantage or would you be creating a better system if i put an external regulator on that is of a higher quality and adjustable ? Thanks guys.

Sounds like you got a bad one,but 99.99% of the time,the stock alternator on a 1HZ works fine.
OEX make a good replacement alternator.

You can probably just replace the regulator. Alternators are deceptively easy to repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom