1HDT oil pan change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

I’m replacing the sump on the 1HDT in my HDJ81. It’s started to seep between the block and the pan, and the threads on the drain plug have been badly repaired via helicoil and oversize plug by the PO – when I do oil changes my spidey-senses tingle when tightening up the plug – feels like it’s on the verge of stripping.

The pan has been off before (someone did the BEB and resealed it with the grey RTV).

I know this is a simple job, but are there any tips or tricks you guys can share about doing this job? Know the hardest part is getting it off.
My plan is
Get pan off
Clean block, removing any old RTV
Clean all the fasteners and holes
Lay a bead of sealer on the pan and block
Put the fasteners in finger tight
Let sealant go off for an hour or so
Do fasteners up to half torque spec
Leave it overnight and then torque to spec.

Thanks

I use a wooden wedge to split the Sump. Once it starts to break the seal it's easy and makes a very satisfying seal breaking noise...

Just put the sealant on the Sump in the groove. Then bolt the whole thing up immediately.

Another way is to cut the sealant with a razor knife. You could get the oil drain thread welded up and a new one fitted while its off.

Another way is to cut the sealant with a razor knife. You could get the oil drain thread welded up and a new one fitted while its off.

Got a good replacement off a mate, but yeah will get the old one fixed up as a spare/pass on to the next person who needs it

I had a simple tool made similar to the SST: a 4” wide flat blade welded to a backer and a rod for holding while you tap the backer and drive the blade into the seam to cut it out off. Xacto knife bent to 90deg = same thing. The SST is way easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom