Oil for 1HDT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why not a 10W40 or even 5W40 to cover winter too?

Winters here in Oregon just don't get that cold.
My US geography is terrible. I saw Milwaukie and thought you were in snow-shoe country!

I use RP 15-40 Duralec in my 1HDT. I add 12oz ZDDP and Lucas stabilizer at 20% to the oil. I go 10k between changes. Usually add 1-2quarts to top off.

Oil sample is on its way to Blackstone right now.

A
I use RP 15-40 Duralec in my 1HDT. I add 12oz ZDDP and Lucas stabilizer at 20% to the oil. I go 10k between changes. Usually add 1-2quarts to top off.

Oil sample is on its way to Blackstone right now.
The 1HD-T doesn't really need that much ZDDP, it's not a 2H or 12HT with a flat tappet cam

I believe it just has to be a 40w and has to be CL4 certified for diesel. But that’s it.

I believe it just has to be a 40w and has to be CL4 certified for diesel. But that’s it.
w40 is good for most climates worldwide but there are other options. Toyota publish the charts you can see in this thread:

C ratings are one scheme for diesel (API), others like ACEA exist as well. Higher letters/numbers after the C show more modern standards.
Back when the 1HD-T was made CD was probably the current diesel oil standard.

S ratings are for petrol/gasoline spark ignition engines. Many oils have ratings for both engine types.

w40 is good for most climates worldwide but there are other options. Toyota publish the charts you can see in this thread:

C ratings are one scheme for diesel (API), others like ACEA exist as well. Higher letters/numbers after the C show more modern standards.
Back when the 1HD-T was made CD was probably the current diesel oil standard.

S ratings are for petrol/gasoline spark ignition engines. Many oils have ratings for both engine types.

Nice information; thank you.

if you're in a cold climate you can run -10c and lower
0w40
5w40
10w40

as long as a 40-weight oil you are ok

I run a 15w40 all year round with no issues

if you're in a cold climate you can run -10c and lower
0w40
5w40
10w40

as long as a 40-weight oil you are ok

I run a 15w40 all year round with no issues

You can also run W30's. Oils have improved since the 80 series were produced and even thinner oils meet the HTHS (high temperature high stress) requirements that only thicker oils used to.

In my Dmax ute they put 15W40 in it for the first service, I lost ~8% fuel economy. Next service changed back and fuel economy returned.
It wouldn't have been an issue if I was only doing hot running, but starting it from cold twice a day made a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom