1HD-t Boost EGT and oil pressure - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for some advice here... To be honest I am fearful my engine is too hopped up...

I just finished getting my fuel injection timing tuned, - advanced timing - and optimizing the fuel delivery characteristics. The result has been incredible. Pretty much, the truck once struggled up the cut at 95km/hr and now I have to let up on the petal when I am reaching 130. (cut is a big long hill in North Van). Here is the breakdown..

Situation -- RPM -- Boost -- EGT -- Oil Pressure

Idle -- 750RPM -- 0 PSI -- 300 F -- 75 cold, 20 PSI hot
reg driving -- 1800 RPM -- 6-8PSI -- 600 F -- 38PSI
uphill reg -- 2300 -- 12PSI -- 800-900F -- 45-50PSI
pedal down -- 2800 -- 14 - 14.5 -- 1100F -- 60PSI

EGT's are measured about 12" after the turbo
Exhaust looks like it is 2.5"
Oil pressure is measured electronically
Boost is T's right by the throttle cable
Compression accross the cylinders is 500
Rebuilt the stock turbo

should I be:
a. really happy that it is this powerful
b. really worried that it is this powerful and change something?

c. really worried about the pedal down numbers

According to Maarten at All American Imports in Holland, (whom I consider an authority on 1HD-T tuning) the stock CT26 does not cope well with over 13psi boost and there is risk of blowing the wheels.
I would try and tweak the boost back a little, like 12psi max.

1100 post turbo is a good 1300 degrees pre turbo. Red line.
I would look at getting some sort of high flow 3-3.5" mandrel bent exhaust system on there to help lower the temps.

The rest sounds dandy.. who did the work?

Raj from Fred Holmes Fuel Injection and Dr. Rob Milson are my pit crew.

One more question... I found the below tip on another LC site down under... would this work for reducing boost too? -- "EASIEST WAYS TO UP YOUR BOOST IS T-PIECE YOUR ACTUATOR LINE RUNNING FROM TURBO TO WASTEGATE, RUN LINE TO $15 BRASS ADJUSTER(PICKN UP AT LOCAL SPEED SHOP) SIMPLE AS TURNING KNOB TO ADJUST BOOST LEVEL"...

Any insights? Thanks

Ya.. that's known as a "boost control" or Grainger Valve.
They are good stuff. They can be made up with brass parts at your local Home Depot or bought off the shelf from your favorite neighborhood Rice Racer shop, ebay etc.
Is your red turbo LED on the dash lighting up? If it is working it should be lighting up for 14 PSI. Any evidence of shimming or shortening the wastegate rod. Stock boost is 10-11PSI
You are in good hands with Raj and Rob. I will have have to give the boys a call and see about getting my 1HD-T optimized.

S

Wow that sounds like some very impressive performance. Well done. If you don't mind me asking what sort of cost it was for the work done to your truck. And have you priced out the 3" exhaust yet?
Regards
Jayse

Did Raj pull the fuel pump for you or did you have someone else do it? I might have to get him to have a look at mine....

Raj did the work. I just had the boost reduced to 13PSI. Still has ample power. Thanks for the hints gents.

3" exhaust is about a grand. Considering magnaflow. Any suggestions out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom