1HD-T 24v to 12v Starter Conversion Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I'm swapping the 1HD-T from my parts rig into my FZJ80. I plan on deleting the 24v starter system as part of the move. I was wondering what folks on here were using for a 12v starter? The top options seem to be the factory starter (28100-17010) for ~$600 and a Denki for around ~$125. (Partsouq prices).

I usually go Toyota only but DAMN. I imagine if I dig hard enough I might find a Bosch option or something else. I was just wondering what the other converts were using and how they held up over time.

Cheers.

Hey Captain,

I bought brand new the Factory Toyota 12V starter for a US spec 2LTE available here stateside. I’m not sure if it is still available and I can’t recall the part number (maybe it’s the one you listed?) but it works and works well.

Looks like the same deal for the 2LTE starter: Toyota for ~$500 and Denki for around ~$100.

Cruiser Brothers lists the same Toyota Part number but sell Terrain Tamer. Not sure if TT make those in house or is using another manufacturer...

Last edited:
TT has a good reputation, I wouldn't hesitate to use their products and I do. At the end of the day it's your choice, we just equipped you with some options.

Alternator is 12V. Starting circuit is 24V and that’s it. Entire truck is 12V aside from starting.

If it's the same as a 1HZ, a Cummins starter motor will work:

Thanks for all the leads on starters. Plenty of choices at least.

Does anyone know if the starter relay (28300-17020, located inside the left fender) is part of the 24v starter system or if it is still needed on a 12v conversion?

Thanks for all the leads on starters. Plenty of choices at least.

Does anyone know if the starter relay (28300-17020, located inside the left fender) is part of the 24v starter system or if it is still needed on a 12v conversion?
The relay from the 24v system will work if that’s what you’re asking.

I was curious if it was still needed after a 12v swap. ie: if it was one of the parts that are removed from the equation when moving away from 24v.

Your answer would imply that it is still needed after the conversion to 12v.

Is it a part that fails fairly commonly? Good idea to replace as long as it's out? Or fairly bulletproof?

If you can't find a closer option, I have some remanufactured Denso 1HZ starters. $175USD in box or $150USD no box shipped to your location.

P1050614.JPG

P1050613.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom