1HD-FTE and A750 5-speed auto 80-Series Install Writeup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you are using an HDJ100 ECU then. The FTE CC was integrated into the ECU, HDJ79/78’s in Aus for example didn’t have CC so the 79/78 ECUs from those Cruisers can’t do CC regardless of what stalk you use.

It’s cool you got it working on a factory stalk, that is a pretty big hurdle in these swaps.

Not here to throw anyone under a bus but, we have stopped using Johnathan for wiring in our swaps.

Cheers

Fantastic work! I think I’d better stick with the non-E versions of these engines because I wouldn’t have the patience to figure it all out!

The FTE isn’t that complicated honestly. It’s actually a pretty basic system. Extremely reliable too.

Great job on all fronts especially getting the A750 to play ball!

So you are using an HDJ100 ECU then. The FTE CC was integrated into the ECU, HDJ79/78’s in Aus for example didn’t have CC so the 79/78 ECUs from those Cruisers can’t do CC regardless of what stalk you use.

It’s cool you got it working on a factory stalk, that is a pretty big hurdle in these swaps.

Not here to throw anyone under a bus but, we have stopped using Johnathan for wiring in our swaps.

Cheers
Yup, Bryan was able to replace the cruise stalk resistors so the 80 stalk can talk to the HDJ100 ECU.

I know there have been some problems with Jonathan's harnesses but I didn't have a lot of options. I did talk SNLC and Torfab but no one wanted build me a harness without also doing the entire swap (which is completely understandable, by the way). Mick wouldn't touch the A750F part and wanted me to use a Compushift controller so aside from jumping in myself, Jonathan was kind of the only option. It did take six months and some occasional prodding and the end result left a little to be desired, but Jonathan was always responsive, helpful, and the damn thing worked when I fired it up the first time so I'm still satisfied; I gotta call it a win.

Last edited:
Frickin’ awesome.

Keep it coming!

Wow doggy this is badass. Makes me want to go yank a 750F from the junk yard for my turbo'ed 80. 😄

Last edited:
^^^ DO IT! Then give me the cheat notes so I can do the same to my UZJ100 :bounce:

Absolutely beautiful work! You didn't have much extra space under the hood to fit in all the bits and pieces in, but you did a fantastic job and it looks like it all came from the factory.

I was always interested in the A750 nice swap!!!

And, thus; so ended the generic prep phase of this transplant.

Now let's talk about some key similarities, differences, problem areas and their solutions specific to adapting this power train to a late model US spec LX450.

• Like all other HD diesel engines, the basic footprint fits into a 80-Series LX450, or their lowly FZJ brethren, fairly easily; the engine pedestals mate up nicely. I did have to swap the RH 100-series engine mount with a HDJ80 mount due to the different frame widths (I'm talking about the cast iron mount; not the rubber isolator mount).
  • The transmission crossmember mating/alignment is a slightly different matter with some considerations (discussed later) but I was able to get everything lined up correctly and was even able to re-use my original driveshafts with no modification.
  • The diesel radiator and fan shroud are diesel specific as the water pump is in a slightly different location from the gas version. Some people have been able to rig solutions to keep the petrol radiator by fabbing brackets to adapt the diesel radiator. I opted to buy the correct diesel radiator and shroud so everything was bolt in.
View attachment 3299745
  • For the fuel system, all that was required was dropping the fuel tank and removing the filler neck (which required cutting into two pieces). The restrictor was cut out of the fuel neck and I swapped the EFI petrol fuel pump assembly with a diesel specific pickup I found on the classifieds. I made up my own hard lines using the original as a template.
View attachment 3299741
View attachment 3299740
  • I bought a HDJ80 vacuum canister, fuel filter bracket, and a couple other HDJ80-specific parts to make everything easier.
View attachment 3299742
  • For exhaust you can either buy a HDJ80 aftermarket exhaust system or fab your own. I opted to make my own because I enjoy the process and didn't care for how the aftermarket stuff was routed.
  • The late-model FTEs actually came with a MAF in the air cleaner lid. Since I planned to use a HDJ80 air cleaner lid, I needed to come up with a solution. Luckily the Denso MAF used on this engine is the same form factor used in Chevy Duramax engines so I was able to find a weld-on bung to a 3" pipe union (just be sure you don't put it in upside down).
View attachment 3299744

There are some specific considerations unique to the A750F 5-speed auto too. The 5 speed was introduced with the newer 100 series so there are some challenges presented in making this transmission work in a 80-Series.
The air box is 1fz-fe ? I did the same conversion (4-speed) and left the 1fz-fe box with 1hd-t lid.

Absolutely badass. Dream rig.

This is so cool! How's it coming and how about a drivability report?

A+++ for the autos!!! Nice A750

I still have a few loose ends I need to track down; the transmission vibration I was getting in reverse seems to have resolved itself and I'm wondering if it has to do with cooler fall temperatures. I don't think I noticed the vibration until late spring when things started to warm up so I might be on to something there. Other than that, the only issue I've got at present is air getting into the fuel supply after the truck's sat for more than two or three days. Usually that's not a problem because it's still my daily driver but I will likely have to drop the fuel tank and figure out which of the soft line junctions are letting in a little air.

Mixed fuel economy I find acceptable although it's less than what many people tell me should be the norm. I think I'm averaging about 17.5–18 gallons on a tank with about 75% city driving.

Amazing! I also did 1HDFTE conversion into 80 series but with an H151F and fully manual 4wd transfer case. I've HZJ80 and FZJ80. BOTH are coming up for sale once I receive the NY titles. The HZJ80 with the Gturbo is shown in this pic.
IMG-20230611-WA0137.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom