1fzfe install, post rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I began putting the 1fzfe back into my '93 fzj80 last night. It seems I always start a project in the evening on a Sunday. Some notes on the process:

I mounted everything on the motor except for the starter, throttle body, fan, and belts. I left the throttle body off to allow me room to wire up the injectors and to route the wiring loom through the intake. I had some trouble getting the motor in place, and I removed the water pump and motor mounts to get some clearance.

I started with the motor and an angle and then straightened up after clearing the front bib and the heater valve on the firewall. It helps to have a jack under the tranny to line things up. I tried using long bolts as alignment dowels, but they weren't long enough, and they got in the way during install. You may need to loosen or unbolt the tranny cross-member. I think I'm going to do that in order to reach the bellhousing bolts.

As it sits now the motor is lined up on the tranny input shaft with about a 1/2" of clearance between the motor and the bellhousing. There is a wire that routes from the main loom over the tranny to the 02 sensor. Get the wiring loom in place before tossing that wire over the tranny. Why toyota ran the loom down through the intake without a connector is beyond me. It sure makes things harder.

I'll post again once everything is in place.

I pinched the O2 wire :'( when I put the trany back in. I just left it in there and rewired it with wire from a TV repair store. I ended up droping the tranny again and almost pinched it again :doh: Poooor design :flipoff2: Toyoda

Eric,

Take it easy and play things safe since you're doing this solo. That's a lot of weight you're dealing with.

IdahoDoug

Thankfully the 4k lbs hoist is handling the motor, not my back. I do need to drop the tranny down by removing the cross-member, and my floor jack is getting questionable. Sometimes I wish I had a V8 :rolleyes:.

I just don't want you to start typing with 7 fingers next week - you're bad enough as it is :D :D

IdahoDoug

[HiJack]
Several years ago a friend of mine was replacing something (the clutch ?) in his Chevy truck. He was doing the job solo and at one point the tranny fell on his left arm, breaking his wrist and crushing several fingers. The guy is in great pain and knows he's got a problem. He calls his wife out to the garage to pull the tranny off, then they get in the other car and drive to his office. He gets a special tool and then they go to the ER.

Why the side trip you ask?

The guy is a dentist so he went to pick up a dental mirror so when they set his left hand in the cast he had the doctor position his hand so he could hold the dental mirror.

He saw patients every day for the 2 or 3 months it took for everything to heal. :D

[/HiJack]

-B-

Wow, that's good thinking! Good thing he wasn't a Gynocologist, eh? :D :D

IdahoDoug

I was able to line up the motor and tranny tonight. God, what a pain! I'll tighten up the bolts tomorrow and see about getting the wiring loom in place.

In all seriousness on this one, be very careful.
I lost my little brother when he was 17 to an 84 300zx because he was working solo and did not have his jack stands in place. Hate to lose you.
Dave

WOW,

I'm damn sorry to hear that Dave. What a powerful reason.

Dave,

I am also sorry to hear of your loss. Speaking from the heart, I literally cannot imagine losing a brother. I have 3 of them and they're all active.

I've also been trapped under a vehicle as a teenager - Triumph Spitfire in my case. Fortunately the same surface (gravel) that caused the jackstand to tip also let me grind out some breathing space and eventually work myself out with only heavy bruising. Scared a heavy safety ethic into me and I habitually toss the removed wheel/tires under any vehicle I have up in the air to this day.

IdahoDoug

Thanks for the sorries,
FWIW I have never been under a vehicle without at least a floor jack and one or tow jack stands since. No I take that back I have been under my truck on a creeper on flat ground, plenty of clearance. I love my truck.
Live and learn I guess.......
Dave

I even get nervous laying under my chevy with the wheels on the rig :). Late in the Summer I was laying under there futzing with the tranny shifter linkage, and I noticed the front DS tire was awful low. Couldn't really tell from the outside, but it was bulging inward pretty bad. All I could think was this truck is going to squish me if that tire blows. My wife would appreciate the life insurance payoff, I'm sure.

Not till you get the 80 back togther..... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom