1FZ-1HZT 105 Custom Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I'd finally sign-up so I could share my build with everyone, and I'm sure I'm not the first guy to do this, so pipe-in when ya got some decent advice. Cheers everyone and enjoy. I'm thinking I'd like to have everything all up and running by christmas... this year! :hmm:

Engine as it currently sits waiting to go to Gturbo for new everything...

20210814_104825.jpg

So I got a call from the engine builders and turns out the engine has a cracked piston - not totally surprised by this. I bought it without a exhaust manifold so I kinda thought it might have had a turbo on it at one stage, and dodgy turbo jobs on the 1HZ almost always lead to cracked pistons. Anyways I have my first lot of parts, I'm going to swap out all the suspension while I'm at it.
And I have the A442 trans from behind 1HZ now at home too.

20210822_173935.jpg

20210822_173918.jpg

I was looking at engine re-build kits online about a week ago and noticed turbo friendly engine internals were available for the 1HZ... but there didn't seem to be any in stock when I looked.

Given you need at least a piston are you going down the turbo piston/conrod route? I've never had much luck replacing just one piston, but to be fair I didn't know enough back then and didn't check piston weights.

Last edited:
Yeah the builders are installing new rods, pistons and pre-comp chambers to suit 26psi tune. The rods are 1hd spec, and the pre-comp chambers are billet but also pretty standard. But the pistons are custom made forged and oil cooled.

With regards to 'turbo' pistons... not all are worth their weight, and the factory ones are really not a problem with enough cool air flow. I would be very careful about picking up a 'kit' online without some prior knowledge of the components within them. 2nd rebuild usually costs more than the first :doh:

... the factory (pistons) are really not a problem with enough cool air flow. I would be very careful about picking up a 'kit' online without some prior knowledge of the components within them. 2nd rebuild usually costs more than the first :doh:
Thanks for the advice. I suspect I'm not that far away from needing to rebuild my engine, but for now it's still operational. My boost maxes out @ just under 10PSI (according to the gauge) but I am burning oil and have some visible blowby.

A compression test will be done after we're out of lockdown

Hey Plumby, Are you changing your 1HZ into a 1HDT or using upgraded 1HZ gear get it up to turbo specs?

Hey Plumby, Are you changing your 1HZ into a 1HDT or using upgraded 1HZ gear get it up to turbo specs?
No it's very difficult and counterproductive to modify a HZ to HDT specs simply because so much needs to be done to go from IDI to DI on the HZ block (you would need new pistons/rods/head/injectors/pump and probably more, you be better off sourcing a HDT to start with.

So instead, I'm keeping the factory block, crank, head, etc and installing HD rods, billet custom pistons with oil cooling, and fitting new billet pre-comp chambers in the head. Also swapping out head bolts for a stud kit, and upgraded head gasket, and ACL race bearings everywhere. On the outside a 12mm pump and turbo injectors, plus a red wheel gturbo @ 26psi. Target at the wheels is 170kw/650nm

UPDATE.

Got all the integral parts back from the machine shop, and all is ready for assembly. 12mm Pump has arrived as has the injectors, pistons and rods. So hoping to get the fully assembled engine back from gturbo in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

20210922_133211.jpg
20210922_133004.jpg
20210922_132915.jpg

Last edited:
What approximate cost is the engine rebuild Plumby?

I'm needing to do it sooner rather than later and was guessing around the $6k mark. Is that ballpark budget?

What approximate cost is the engine rebuild Plumby?

I'm needing to do it sooner rather than later and was guessing around the $6k mark. Is that ballpark budget?
The long motor cost me $1100 as is. (No warranty) which was fine for me because I had the rebuild planned.
Long motor rebuild $8800 Inc all the good bits. Turbo and fueling extra

Got the trans harness and TCM, and the new valve body, got some work to do getting the trans ready while I wait for the engine. Finally stop scrolling and searching and get my hands dirty...

20210929_201324.jpg
20210929_201344.jpg

20211021_200520.jpg
20211021_194322.jpg
20211021_205518.jpg
20211021_205134.jpg

So finally have the new engine, which got delivered last week. life has been a bit busy lately so forgot to come and update you all on the progress. We also got the old 1FZ out and sold (actually sold it weeks ago prior to pulling it) so now I need to mate the trans and engine and get it back in. Then onto to dealing with plumbing and wiring conundrums...

20211021_200248.jpg

so things have been a bit hectic lately, but we finally got the engine and trans in the car. the missus and I took on another foster bub recently (that makes 4) this little bub is only 9moths old so i'm having some shed/daycare sessions on the tools. shes a quick learner! plus I bought a harley and have been flat out with work, and trying to find a new job where I don't have to work nights. also had my best mates wedding on the weekend, so didnt get much done with a slow head on sunday!

now I have a million and one problems to solve. here's a couple more pics, with more coming soon

20211115_173730.jpg

20211115_200541.jpg

sorry been quiet lately, been doing some moonlit sessions in the shed to get this thing going for xmas, not looking good at the moment stuck on wiring issues. anyways here the the new front end on, and onto the wiring conundrums!

20211204_215022.jpg

20211211_144639.jpg

trade wiring issues for some ate blue.
My o my I see a lot of envy in your pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom