1F to 2F fan question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking for the answer to this for a while, and can't find it. I put a 2F engine out of a 1985 fj60 into my 1972 fj40. Now I am running into problems with the fan. I can't use the fan clutch from the 60 because it won't fit with the radiator. did the later fj40s have a fan clutch? Also I am wondering what to do with the pulley on the water pump. I need two belt sleeves for what I am runnning. any links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My 1980 40 has both a fan clutch and a two-belt pulley. Sounds like you might want to get a late-model water pump.

I run an FJ60 fan clutch/fan on my '66 FJ40. You need a later model fan shroud from a '40. The radiator will scoot front-rear about an inch, well, the radiator support is what I mean.

Oh, and as 1911 alluded to, the waterpumps are specific to either direct drive or fan clutch fans due to a difference in bolt pattern. If you are using the WP from the 85 FJ60, it is the one for the fan clutch so, just source a later shroud. Easily identified by using 7 bolts instead of 6.

Last edited:
There are differences in water pump heights for the various F and 2F motors (pump height measured at fan clutch or spacer mounting surface on pump when pump is laid flat on a table). I think the Specter Off Road (SOR) website lists the pump dimensions, IIRC. Maybe the 60 Series 2F pumps are taller than the earlier 40 Series 2F units?

You'll definitely need a 2F fanshroud. I think 40 Series got fan clutches in 76 or 77?

Brian

Not sure if the OP got his answer, but ill jump on here with a similar question.

Also replaced a 72 1f with a 77 2f in a FJ55 and am having issues with the fan clutch setup being too long for this app. i have the 72 waterpump but only one pulley and direct bolt on metal fan ( :( ) Was there a plastic fan (oe) that bolted up directly to the water pump spindle instead of fan clutch? from reading above it looks like a pre 76 2f fan. As well i would need a two pulley setup w/ the smaller diameter to fit the 1F spindle.

Or is there a spacer that would allow me to run an earlier fan on the 2F waterpump and pulley sans fanclutch? as it sits now the fan blades will not clear the pulley.

Not sure if the OP got his answer, but ill jump on here with a similar question.

Also replaced a 72 1f with a 77 2f in a FJ55 and am having issues with the fan clutch setup being too long for this app. i have the 72 waterpump but only one pulley and direct bolt on metal fan ( :( ) Was there a plastic fan (oe) that bolted up directly to the water pump spindle instead of fan clutch? from reading above it looks like a pre 76 2f fan. As well i would need a two pulley setup w/ the smaller diameter to fit the 1F spindle.

Or is there a spacer that would allow me to run an earlier fan on the 2F waterpump and pulley sans fanclutch? as it sits now the fan blades will not clear the pulley.

Yep, a pre-76 non-clutch fan will bolt up. I'm currently working on swapping a 1975 2F into my 72 FJ40. The 1975 2F has a fan/pulley setup that is the non-clutch type plastic fan with a 2 groove pulley that sits between the WP and fan without a spacer. The 75 WP has the same fan bolt pattern as the earlier 1F water pump, but the 1975 pump is taller (projects out more towards the radiator for belt clearance). Your 77 water pump has a larger bolt pattern; I'm not aware of any spacer that will adapt the older metal fans to the later fan clutch-equipped water pumps - suppose you could make one though...

If you end up swapping water pumps, the 75 water pump is still available from Toyota, but is $$. I've heard that the made in Japan GMB pumps are good replacements at a fraction of the cost. I think you can get the fan you need from Mark's Off Road, or maybe Toyota (check with CruiserDan).

Good Luck,
Brian

PS - Ive heard you can also press off the spindles of the water pumps and swap those out too - may be an option.

Last edited:
Also replaced a 72 1f with a 77 2f in a FJ55 and am having issues with the fan clutch setup being too long for this app.

You're not going to be able to fit a fanclutch in a '72 Pig...without moving something big. Just not gonna work. There is a plastic fan that will bolt onto your '72 waterpump. Mark A. had 'em for cheap not too long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom