1998 LX Key/Remote (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1998 LX that came with some keys, one with a remote and one without. The guy mentioned he lost the master and had to get it fixed.
The remote did not work.

after more investigation, i found that both keys were valet keys. I had a local locksmith come and look at the chip in the ECU. Someone had obviously been in there, and scraped the chip, and lost most of the screws holding it closed. I of course stripped one screw, so i have one left holding the lid on now.

They hadn't written a normal file onto the chip, so there was a lot of fussing around to get it working, but eventually he got it so that I now have two master keys instead of none.
We tried to get it into remote programming mode with the buttons, but after 3 lock/unlock cycles, the actuators get tired. It won't enter programming mode, so I have no idea if these are the correct remotes, or not.
I bought additional keys on Ebay, and they have the same FCC number on the back as the remote that came with the truck, but Transponder chips were wrong, and the blank is too short. These are for the "5 cut" keys, and i need the "8 cut" key.

These look like the same as the key that came with it, but the key itself is too short, and the chip inside was a "4D" chip, where as the working ones was "4C".

that is what i bought. It is wrong. the FCC HYQ1512V matches the "remote" i have, but of course that remote doesn't work.

Can someone with a 1998 post what their remote looks like? does it look like this? What FCC number is on it?

lexuskey.jpg

Also note:

Key that works, 47mm / 1.84" (37mm to the end of the slot)

Key that is wrong, 38mm / 1.5" ( 27mm to the end of the slot).

The short key will work on the doors, but in the ignition, the barrel moves inwards, and the key is too short. It also hits the end of the slot.
I dremeled the slot out, but because the barrel moves inwards, its not going to work and I don't want to jam a key in there.

I have techstream setup, and I used it to check that both the keys I had were once valet keys, and now are masters.
The Techstream options only have a button add a key, not to program a remote (not to mention none of it worked before because I didn't have a master).

At this point I don't know if the remote I have is even close. When looking up on parts sites, its a "generic key" picture.
The keys have 3 buttons on them, I don't know if thats right for a 98, or if I need a side button like I had on my 1990 LS.

Reviving this Thread,
@blindjoe did you have any luck ? I have recently acquired a 98 LX 470 in the middle east. I have a master key but no FOB.

I was thinking of getting a 4c chip HYQ1512V from Chinese sites. but im not sure if that works.

@suprarx7nut i have techstream but no Keyfob to cross verify the FCC ID? also i had seen a post where you talk about your keyfob ECU flashing / chip replacement services which was very informative but i can't seem to find it.

I just want to make sure my FCC ID and frequency are not wrong before i get a key and break my head over programming it with techstream then with the pedal dance

any help is appreciated :)

Thanks

Reviving this Thread,
@blindjoe did you have any luck ? I have recently acquired a 98 LX 470 in the middle east. I have a master key but no FOB.

I was thinking of getting a 4c chip HYQ1512V from Chinese sites. but im not sure if that works.

@suprarx7nut i have techstream but no Keyfob to cross verify the FCC ID? also i had seen a post where you talk about your keyfob ECU flashing / chip replacement services which was very informative but i can't seem to find it.

I just want to make sure my FCC ID and frequency are not wrong before i get a key and break my head over programming it with techstream then with the pedal dance

any help is appreciated :)

Thanks
I'm not sure of the correct fcc ID.

For flashing services, I bet you're thinking of @Mauser

Pretty sure I have bought the same key - they look right, but I haven't gotten my truck into programming mode yet so I can't confirm or deny.
In the other thread, I saw that Mauser stated you only need to toggle the manual switch to get into programming mode - I will try that tonight to see if I can add my remotes.

I was able to program my remote! The key to getting it into program mode was to have the door open when lock/unlock not open.
This procedure Programming LX470 Key Fob - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/programming-lx470-key-fob.1167779/ is the one that works, not the google search one.

The "4C chip HYQ1512V Long key" was the right one for me, however one of them doesn't work.
Since I have 6 keys and have only gotten one to work, I think ill be able to piece it together once I get the keys physically cut.

Also, I discovered that the lock/unlock button blocks you from unlocking the door at some points - which I had replaced my door switch because of this. It is probably so you can't sneak a coat hanger down and unlock the doors with the button once its locked.

I should have used the manual switch all along - though I had been blocked since I didn't have a master key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom