1997 Hilux 5L noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working with a friend on his hilux.
We are stumped on a sudden engine knock in his 5L.

Not down on power.
Doesn't smoke.
Doesn't use oil.
Engine isn't shaking
Little blow by out of crankcase

Fuel Filter was ancient on it, which we replaced. Would a bad injector cause knock without completely rocking engine?

Would Exhaust leak possible make this sound? Saw puff of smoke out of header when engine shut off. Hidden under heat shield though.

Sounds like knock is coming from top end, not bottom

Putting hand on oil filter i don't feel it shaking or vibration.

> There is no dedicated forums to 5L engines and hiluxes in general or i'm not using right search terms. LN167, n160, mk4 hilux

I think next step is to take off Valve Cover.

Working with a friend on his hilux.
We are stumped on a sudden engine knock in his 5L.

Not down on power.
Doesn't smoke.
Doesn't use oil.
Engine isn't shaking
Little blow by out of crankcase

Fuel Filter was ancient on it, which we replaced. Would a bad injector cause knock without completely rocking engine?

Would Exhaust leak possible make this sound? Saw puff of smoke out of header when engine shut off. Hidden under heat shield though.

Sounds like knock is coming from top end, not bottom

Putting hand on oil filter i don't feel it shaking or vibration.

> There is no dedicated forums to 5L engines and hiluxes in general or i'm not using right search terms. LN167, n160, mk4 hilux

I think next step is to take off Valve Cover.

You can use an automotive stethoscope to try to pinpoint the noise.... Just be careful of moving and hot parts, lol!

Injector knock will throw white smoke and vibrate the engine. Depending on how bad it is you may be able to drive it as normal. Easiest way to tell is to crack each injector nut. If the knock goes away and the vibration stays the same, you got a stuck injector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom