SOLD 1997 FZJ80 in Durango, CO (non-locked) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought this 80 last year after I rolled my 40th Anniversary as I was planning on parting out the 40th and swapping a few things over to this one and keeping it. I have since picked up the body parts needed to resurrect my 40th, and need to sell this 80 to free up the funds for that project.

I have driven this 80 on two 1000 mile trips without issue and would have no hesitation to jump in it and drive it anywhere today. She's never been wheeled hard and as far as I can tell has been well maintained throughout her life. The bumpers and sliders are free of scrapes and in like-new condition.

List of Mods:
  • OME Lift installed 08/2017
  • Slee Shortbus front bumper
  • Warn XD9000 with synthetic line, Slee Fairlead, Factor55 ProLink (some pictures show a Factor55 FlatLink, but I swapped this out)
  • Slee rear bumper with tire carrier
  • Slee Step Sliders
  • Fuel Anza wheels with 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ (x5)
  • Kenwood Deck and Pioneer door speakers
  • New Leather steering wheel cover
  • New OEM Leather center console cover
  • New 1st Row Seat Covers (Land Cruiser Heaven) and seat cushions
  • Seat Heaters in 1st row seats
  • LED Tail Lights
  • New Hood Liner installed by Previous Owner

Mechanical:
  • 274,xxx miles
  • Previous owner said the head gasket had been done before he bought it but did not have any documentation for it
  • I just finished putting everything back together after overhauling the intake and EGR system to address P0401 CEL Insufficient EGR Flow. I've driven it for around 200 miles and the code has not come back
  • EGR Valve replaced in 12/2016
  • New exhaust installed by previous owner
  • New TRAD Radiator & OEM hoses installed by previous owner
  • I have a folder with receipts for a lot of smaller maintenance items that were done by the previous owner as well as the work that I've done to it.

Maintenance just completed in August 2019:

• removed and thoroughly cleaned upper intake manifold and all lines/ports to resolve P0401 (primary EGR port in the intake was almost completely clogged with carbon deposits). Reassembled with all new OEM gaskets
  • installed new VSV valve + all vacuum hoses around intake manifold
  • New PCV Valve, grommet, hose
  • New OEM Fuel Filter
  • NGK Spark Plugs and Wires
  • Flushed and filled coolant with Toyota Red coolant (old coolant looked fine, but lost about 1/2 gallon during EGR work I decided to flush and fill rather than just top it off)

Body:

There is zero rust on this truck. It was a Georgia 80 before I brought it to Colorado last year and it spent the winter parked so it hasn't been exposed to any salt or mag chloride.
The body is very clean. No serious dents or scratches except a little BB sized ding in the tailgate and a scratch on the bottom of the front DS door (see pics of both of these issues in the link below). The clearcoat is peeling on the hood, but will be repainted before it is sold. The roof also has peeling clearcoat but will be sold as-is.
This 80 didn't have the factory roof rack or the silly air dam on the rear hatch, so no need to take care of those holes which are usually starting to rust even on southern trucks.

Unfinished Items:

Antenna mast does not retract. I was planning on installing the wagongear CB Mount bracket like I did on my other 80, but didn't get around to it before I decided to sell. I'm leaving this as-is for the sale. Parts for the wagongear setup are around $150.

The Front DS window gets "tired" sometimes and doesn't roll back up all the way. I have not been able to determine a pattern to this as it doesn't always do it. What happens is that you roll the window down, then when rolling it back up it will get really slow and then stop. It may stop at 30% up, 50% up, or 90% up. When it happens I just wait a few minutes then hit the button and it goes right up. I have tried a known good switch panel and the issue still occurs. I have a window motor/regulator set that I was going to try to swap out but haven't done it yet.

The hood has some peeling clearcoat. I plan to have this professionally painted before selling, but I am happy to adjust the price and sell it as-is.

Pictures:

I will post more pics once I have time to wash it, and I'm happy to send any additional pics that anyone wants to see.
97 Land Cruiser (Moonglow) - Google Drive

Price:

I'm asking $18,000 $16,000 for it. I am open to removing some of the listed mods (and adjusting the price accordingly) if something on this 80 isn't exactly what you're looking for. (I would be especially interested in keeping the Slee step sliders for my other 80 or the winch for my GX470.) I also have some other mods/upgrades that can be added to it, depending on what you're looking for.

PS view with 35s and painted flares.jpg
First Row Seats.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any pics of the undercarriage and engine bay?

I will take some today.

It's going in the shop on Monday to get the hood painted, and I'm supposed to get it back by next Friday or the following Monday. Planning to clean it up good and get some good pics after all that is done.

Also, what gears does it have? Is it, by chance, on 4:88?

It's still on factory gears. If I were spending the money on re-gearing I'd be throwing air lockers into it while I had everything open. I do have a set of factory e-locked axles that were re-geared to 4.88 and rebuilt with new birfields, hubs, etc. etc. on my wrecked 40th. I would be open to swapping them over to this rig and putting the non-locked axles on the 40th, but I'd be looking to get at least the going rate for e-locked axles plus what I have in the parts. The re-gear was done only about 8 months before I totaled that 80 and I've had it in my garage ever since.

Undercarriage and Under Hood pics added the Google Drive Folder linked in the original post.

I had someone ask about pulling the bumpers, sliders and wheels to return this 80 to a lifted stock look. I'm open to this as I can use and/or sell all of those parts. As I mentioned in the original post, I'm very flexible about the configuration of this 80 and I have a stock rear bumper and stock wheels on hand.

Since this hasn't sold at this price in it's current configuration, I'm dropping the price to $16,000 for the rig in its current configuration as described above, or $12000 without sliders and stock front and rear bumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom