1997 80 series - issues starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This just happened last night and seeing as the shop near me is closed for the weekend I was hoping to maybe get some ideas on what may be the culprit. Have a 1997 80 series with ~230k miles. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the accessories, everything lights up and sounds fine. But when I turn it one more to the on/start position, it seems the entire electrical system shuts down. Everything goes dark, no light, no radio, nothing. Checked the battery, over 12v so it's not that (tested battery bot when static and trying to crank). When looking under the hood and someone else turns the ignition to start, I can hear a click and a popping sound before everything goes dark. When trying to start it in the truck, I can hear clicking noises from the radio after things go dark. Sometimes I have to insert the key back in the ignition multiple times after a failed start to get the electricals to come back online. Anyone else ever have a similar issue??

Better have a look at your fusible links and ALL grounds and cables

fusible link 2.jpg

Better have a look at your fusible links and ALL grounds and cables

View attachment 2562450
Thank you! The mention of the fusible link got me down the right path enough that it ended up being just a loose connection somewhere. I jiggled enough wires that it started without having to replace anything. Ordered an OEM fusible link just to be safe, seems like this is a must keep item for non-starting issues and not too uncommon.

Thank you! The mention of the fusible link got me down the right path enough that it ended up being just a loose connection somewhere. I jiggled enough wires that it started without having to replace anything. Ordered an OEM fusible link just to be safe, seems like this is a must keep item for non-starting issues and not too uncommon.

Good job Sir.

I have a few fusible links. One in my home tool box, truck tool box and one in the glovebox. Such an inexpensive thing could leave you stranded somewhere. I had a similar no start issue and it ended up being a loose ground wire. Glad you got it sorted.

I'm being lazy here but is there any good step by step directions on how to replace a fusible link?

I'm being lazy here but is there any good step by step directions on how to replace a fusible link?

It is straightforward. It will make sense once you get in there. The only thing is that portion that is inside the black plastic can be hard to get leverage...if the nuts are tight. You may try to hold the plastic housing with channel locks, BUT be prepared to break it if is brittle. If you are ordering a link, you may want to order one of the plastic housings as well just in case. They are cheap.

It is straightforward. It will make sense once you get in there. The only thing is that portion that is inside the black plastic can be hard to get leverage...if the nuts are tight. You may try to hold the plastic housing with channel locks, BUT be prepared to break it if is brittle. If you are ordering a link, you may want to order one of the plastic housings as well just in case. They are cheap.

I just replaced my fusible link and I was really glad I had ordered new nuts and the plastic housing - the housing itself stayed intact, but the door that protects the power leads from arcing to ground snapped clean off.

It was a bear getting those nuts to crack loose - I think I grabbed it really hard with a glove and hit it with a couple of short bursts with the impact driver.

I just replaced my fusible link and I was really glad I had ordered new nuts and the plastic housing - the housing itself stayed intact, but the door that protects the power leads from arcing to ground snapped clean off.

It was a bear getting those nuts to crack loose - I think I grabbed it really hard with a glove and hit it with a couple of short bursts with the impact driver.
Agreed - I used a big pair of crescent pliers and a 1/2 breaker bar with lube to open that black junction box, why do you ask? Cuz the PO was a garbage head and didn’t fix anything for the entire time of their ownership.

Agreed - I used a big pair of crescent pliers and a 1/2 breaker bar with lube to open that black junction box, why do you ask? Cuz the PO was a garbage head and didn’t fix anything for the entire time of their ownership.

😂😂😂 Oh man I needed that laugh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom