1996 LX450 - Wiring & Tune-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a 1996 LX450 about a week ago and trying to work through a hard start issue. Of course the previous owner said nothing to me about this when I purchased the rig. The problem I'm experiencing is a hard start the first time I start it for the day. After the first start it seems to start normally. The hard start is it will crank for a bit then try to kick off, but stumbles and dies a few times before it will idle. Before purchase I checked radiator and engine fluids for any mixing and everything is good. The rig has no smoke coming out of the tailpipe so believe I've got either a electrical, sensor or fuel problem. The rig is low miles, for the year, at 176K.

Last night I replaced the fusible link as I've read this seems to be the most common hard start issue. The link that came off was in horrible shape, one wire you can see has gotten hot at some point and another was cut. In the little black plastic cover I cleaned all connections during the replacement and installed the new link. I'm not sure if this fixed the problem yet until I get home after work to start the vehicle. My question is, where can I buy a replacement truck side connector for the great push type connector that attaches to the fusible link. The one of the truck has some insulation missing close to the grey piece, and while I'm doing this want to make sure I eliminate this area completely. Below are pictures of the old link and a picture of the truck side harness connector that I'm trying to locate. I've google searched it but can only find the fusible link for sale. Also, I picked up a spare for the glove box. The third leg to the original fusible link not in the picture was spliced onto to the grey connector non truck side. Thinking someone at some point made a quick repair at some point to get home.

Plans for this rig are go get the wiring and mechanical 100% and start the upgrades. From the looks of things not much has been done to it. I ordered new fuel pump with in-tank screen and fuel filter to shore up the fuel system. Ordered new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor to shore up the ignition system. Also orders some misc. parts such as EGR valve, air filter, PCV valve, Oxygen Sensor, TPS Sensor, etc... I'll also change and flush all fluids and rebuild axles if needed. Rig is in pretty decent condition but want to make sure I have my bases covered. Going to try and work through all this pretty quick if possible and will ask any questions needed along the way. I pretty excited about the rig and ready to get it dependable and start driving it more. Thanks in advance for any help along the way.

IMG_7166.jpg

IMG_7167.jpg

Last edited:
The harness side male connector for FL AM2 is 90980–10982.
The male terminal with 160mm pigtail is 82998-12470.
About $15 for both from any Toyota dealer.

Since this truck is an unknown to you, I would suggest doing some basic maintenance like a tune-up before going down the rabbit hole chasing hard starting.

The harness side male connector for FL AM2 is 90980–10982.
The male terminal with 160mm pigtail is 82998-12470.
About $15 for both from any Toyota dealer.

Since this truck is an unknown to you, I would suggest doing some basic maintenance like a tune-up before going down the rabbit hole chasing hard starting.
Thanks for the part numbers and agree on the tune up. Will start that tonight.

Similar issue when I had a dirty Idle sensor (throttle body). Removed, cleaned and improved, but not perfect. Did not become 100% until I had fuel injectors rebuilt/cleaned.

I also had a similar issue that appears to have been resolved by replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

Thanks for the replies and will check all of those items as well. I replaced the fuel pump and in tank strainer this evening and it was nasty. I also could some stuff in the tank that I got out. I’m assuming the debri was part of an old strainer that came apart in the tank. Next up will be the fuel filter. After reading how others did it I’m thinking it’s going to be a huge pain. Hopefully will get to it this weekend a long with other tuneup items. I’ll report back after I get the filter changed and see if there’s a difference. Below are a few pics of the old pump and screen, and of the debri I found in the tank. Other than the debri I found in the tank it looked clean.

4AD74BE8-E5B4-42CF-A414-190B6314C1F4.jpeg

292CB67D-A3CF-4AF7-8B63-2EB24C1D3469.jpeg

4272ABD4-7D32-4434-A546-1AB4B5BF536C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom