1996 FZJ80 Viper 5X02 Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, when my key fob finally bit the dust for my stock RS3000 in my 1996 FZJ80, I decided I would upgrade. After reading a few write-ups and doing some rudimentary research, I pulled the trigger and bought what was advertised as a 5901 series Viper, refurbished, for $100. Considering I would be spending $80 dollars for a pair of cheap replacement key fobs for my stock system, I figured I would just upgrade. It came with 2 high-quality Viper key fobs, anyway, so in the end, I spent $20 dollars on a brand new system.

So there are 3 main harnesses on this system, with a smaller door lock / unlock+trigger harness. It seems like the vast majority of these wires aren't even used in the majority of applications, which is a bit confusing in and of itself, since there seem to be redundant wires all over the place. However, with the proper research and wiring diagrams, I have managed to put together the system such that everything works. It enables and disables the alarm, locks and unlocks the doors, activates the various lights and such when it should. Already loving the improved range over the stock system. (RS3000 has a range of about 10 feet from the truck, depending upon your key fob. This has worked as far as 60 feet, and presumably will at even greater distances.)

So now I just need to get the remote start working. My truck had the ignition T-harness from the stock RS3000, so splicing into the ignition/starter connectors was as simple as can be. That is installed, and presumably working fine. The brake shutdown wire is connected to the brake sensor wire as directed. The various grounds and such for the system are plugged in as far as I'm aware. I have programmed the unit to operate in automatic transmission mode, and the car starts fine with the key, so there is no disconnect in the ignition connectors.

So my question is pretty simple: what am I forgetting? There must be some simple connection I have yet to figure out, or perhaps I have to put a diode in somewhere that I was unaware of? I am pretty much out of ideas. pls halp

I did get this figured out. I think it was remote programming related, as I don't recall now exactly what I messed with. But it works. The resources are all out there, too, though I remember it took me a long time to determine which wiring diagrams were for which systems/year models because the wiring harnesses differ pretty significantly between an FJ, early FZJ and late FZJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom