1995 Instrument Cluster questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My odometer and trip meter quit working in my 95 80 series a month ago. I picked up another one which appears to be identical but not sure what year it was from. I plugged it in yesterday and over half of the lights weren't working, the turn signal was on...etc, gas gauge was dead...etc. There were some bulbs missing from the back so I made it match mine identically and still I would save half of the dash wasn't working. Are there differences in them from 95,96 to 97 or could this one just be bad? I thought I had a pic, but apparently I didn't get one.

My odometer and trip meter quit working in my 95 80 series a month ago. I picked up another one which appears to be identical but not sure what year it was from. I plugged it in yesterday and over half of the lights weren't working, the turn signal was on...etc, gas gauge was dead...etc. There were some bulbs missing from the back so I made it match mine identically and still I would save half of the dash wasn't working. Are there differences in them from 95,96 to 97 or could this one just be bad? I thought I had a pic, but apparently I didn't get one.
So this replacement one... when it was installed did the odometer work again?

I think you might just need to take what is good from the be one and put it in the one you have or vice versa to make them work if from different years. I think that's how I got my 96 to work with a 94 cluster. I think there is significant differences in layout of warning lights etc but the overall tach, Speedo, fuel gauges will work if put into original cluster from a off years cluster. I think that's how I got my cluster Frankenstein'd back to life.

usually the odometer stops working cause a piece of plastic breaks on the trip odometer reset button. If it gets lodged the right way, it'll jam the ODO gear with it. If the trip odometer works on the donor you can just swap that one piece by itself into your original cluster (and your mileage will stay correct too). It does involve dissecting the cluster a bit, however.

usually the odometer stops working cause a piece of plastic breaks on the trip odometer reset button. If it gets lodged the right way, it'll jam the ODO gear with it. If the trip odometer works on the donor you can just swap that one piece by itself into your original cluster (and your mileage will stay correct too). It does involve dissecting the cluster a bit, however.
That’s where I was going with my question.

That’s where I was going with my question.
I actually just put a customer's back together and then came on and saw your thread...knew I shoulda taken pics but I'm happy to walk you through it

I actually just put a customer's back together and then came on and saw your thread...knew I shoulda taken pics but I'm happy to walk you through it

It sounds like I need to combine the 2 of them and make 1 good one. If you have steps sir, that would be amazing.

There is no difference between the 95-97 instrument panels (AKA combination meter); BTW everything except the PCB is still in production. The earlier year models are not the same, however, the gauges will still work in the later model cases. The primary difference is the change in the harness to support OBDII in 95 and later models.

Or you could just Speedhut the whole thing...

So then what was causing your issues with the new one? Can you tell any difference between the two? The really early ones should have an attachment point for a speedo cable, for a start. If it truly is from a compatible year and you're experiencing these issues, the new one is faulty (though that seems unlikely to me). either way, swapping just the mechanical parts over to your old one should work fine.

And to be sure...you were swapping out just the ODO/trip, correct? not the whole instrument cluster?

This is definitely not an early one. It was from a fellow member here from a 96 i believe. I was swapping the entire cluster out also. I would say 20% of the dash actually worked after I plugged the new one in. I wish I would have taken a pic to explain it better. I may swap it back in tonight and take a picture of what its doing.

So I'm curious now as my 95 is OBDII if this could possibly be an early 95 OBD I cluster?
One of my '95s is a January build model, meaning that it has a couple of '94 parts in it (for instance the sunroof), but's it's OBDII. January was the cutoff for many parts changeovers, with some ending in January and some beginning in January. But with respect to the combination meter, it's just like all the '95-'97 models.

FWIW, OBDII doesn't relate to the combination meter, but more to the wiring and sensors. You still have the early 80 series diagnostic port on the engine side of the firewall, which has to be used for some diagnostics, even though it's OBDII "compliant". Toyota, like everyone else, only implemented the part of the standard they agreed with.

One of my '95s is a January build model, meaning that it has a couple of '94 parts in it (for instance the sunroof), but's it's OBDII. January was the cutoff for many parts changeovers, with some ending in January and some beginning in January. But with respect to the combination meter, it's just like all the '95-'97 models.

FWIW, OBDII doesn't relate to the combination meter, but more to the wiring and sensors. You still have the early 80 series diagnostic port on the engine side of the firewall, which has to be used for some diagnostics, even though it's OBDII "compliant". Toyota, like everyone else, only implemented the part of the standard they agreed with.

Thanks, I am still learning about the differences in the 80s so that's very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom