Builds 1993 LJ79 from Malta (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just came across this thread. Not many times do you find a Land Cruiser owner on Malta. I live on the island for a few months in-between a stint in Sicily. Beautiful country. I lived in some apartments across the highway to the east of the university of Malta.

Just came across this thread. Not many times do you find a Land Cruiser owner on Malta. I live on the island for a few months in-between a stint in Sicily. Beautiful country. I lived in some apartments across the highway to the east of the university of Malta.

Small world :) yeah definitely not as much as Land Rover Defender owners, but now alot are importing from Japan under the 'Classic vehicle' scheme.

My garage is literally 3min away from there. When you're here give me a shout I'll take you for a cruise 🙂

Hi, sorry for the bump but I have to say that your Toyota looks great, love the tent, roof rack and the complete look of the vechicle! We are running the same engine setup aswell! Would you mind if I ask some questions about the setup and the engine?

Hi, sorry for the bump but I have to say that your Toyota looks great, love the tent, roof rack and the complete look of the vechicle! We are running the same engine setup aswell! Would you mind if I ask some questions about the setup and the engine?

Hi Dave, yes sure fire away :)

& thankyou for the compliments!

While at it, here's some recent photos of how my rig is currently looking...
IMG_20211024_121639.jpg
IMG_20211024_121742.jpg

Been looking at changing my springs for quite a while now since the Dobinsons had sagged alot and were way too soft. Was already running spacers too, to level it out and lift the front, so I also wanted to get rid of those.

I bought Ironman TOY049C for the rear, they're +2" rated for 150-300kg loads. They're a millimetre thicker then the Dobinsons, and they have 2 smaller diameter coils at the end (smaller diameter coils are stiffer).

For the front I bought 76/77/79 series King springs KTFR-74T. They're progressive springs, the wire thickness goes from 14mm to 16mm. They're the same diameter but need to cut the last coil and a half for them to fit. I've seen this done on facebook and the guy was happy with the results. I have to say, I am really happy too! The increased spring rate is very nice. I don't know how all aftermarket coils for this model are so soft. Well, I am carrying quite a load too, so that is surely a factor.

IMG_20220413_151409.jpg
IMG_20220413_165636.jpg
IMG_20220413_173741.jpg
IMG_20220414_174655.jpg
IMG_20220414_174636.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Malteser,

awesome transformation of your car! Obvisously done with lots of technical know how and love - I really like it!
I got an LJ79 (originally from Ethiopia), which is technical in its original state. I own it since around 10 years and was finally in the Sahara with him this summer - that was kind of “I have to do that”.
Next project definitly is the chassis, since we have wet winters in Austria and I already got some rusty zones, I first have to fix that…
Would be awesome to get in contact with you regarding the turbo upgrade and the undercarriage!

Kind regards
Max

Hi Malteser,

awesome transformation of your car! Obvisously done with lots of technical know how and love - I really like it!
I got an LJ79 (originally from Ethiopia), which is technical in its original state. I own it since around 10 years and was finally in the Sahara with him this summer - that was kind of “I have to do that”.
Next project definitly is the chassis, since we have wet winters in Austria and I already got some rusty zones, I first have to fix that…
Would be awesome to get in contact with you regarding the turbo upgrade and the undercarriage!

Kind regards
Max

Hi Max, thank you for the compliments 🙂

Wow that is amazing, I would love to go to Africa with it! Did you drive it from Austria?

Yes definitely! Please feel free to private message me with any questions 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom