Builds 1993 LJ79 from Malta (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been wanting to fabricate some rear storage for quite a while now. Decided to go for a lightweight setup by using these 2 bins (which I bought for just €7 each) as 'drawers' and thin-walled steel square hollow section for the frame. Will be adding wire mesh to the sides and back and a top made out of upholstered plywood extending to the sides. This way I still have access to the factory tool box (where I keep all my recovery gear) and ease loading of any heavy items.

IMG_20200506_171738.jpg
IMG_20200506_171924.jpg

Since I have my charge cooler where the 2nd battery usually sits this is where I'm gonna be keeping my auxiliary battery. Not planning on hooking it up to the main system, just gonna supply 2 cigarette lighter sockets, 2 USBs and a voltmeter. I made a panel for these out of aluminium plastic composite sheet (had picked up a piece from industrial park trash) which I screwed directly over the upholstery (and into metal). Will also put a plug for my solar panel which will feed into a solar charge controller behind the panel. Also plan to 3D print some battery terminal covers.

IMG_20200608_174013.jpg

I had the same thought about 3d printed terminal covers.
I really like your storage platform setup.
Is the wire mesh new material or salvaged?

I had the same thought about 3d printed terminal covers.
I really like your storage platform setup.
Is the wire mesh new material or salvaged?

Thanks! Couldn't find any scrap mesh that would work so I had to buy that.

Regarding battery terminal covers, might just print one for the negative terminal only since the positive one is already unreachable since it sits under/inside my storage platform.

Have some left over pipe from the rock sliders and was thinking of adding an A-bar to the bumper, yay or nay ? Would bolt it rather then weld it directly to the bumper.

IMG_20200614_151037.jpg
IMG_20200614_151049.jpg
IMG_20200614_151125.jpg

I don't know.... maybe wire it for 2 small square yellow led fog lights.
How will it be bolted?

I don't know.... maybe wire it for 2 small square yellow led fog lights.
How will it be bolted?

The main reason I want it is to wind the winch cable around it when on a track rather then putting it back in and having to pull it out again later.

I will fabricate flanges at the ends and bolt it to the top of the bumper.

I am a Function over Form guy so Yes you should add the bar.

Looks really good, even the welds!

Been a while since I updated this thread, thought I'd share this here since I usually end up sharing other stuff on other threads 😅

Fabricated a fridge slide and tilt to go with my storage platform. Used mild steel angle 40x40x3mm, 40mmx3mm flat, HD (but common) drawer rails, 2 stainless steel hinges and an indexing plunger for a lock. I screwed the hinges directly to the platform so the entire assembly tilts off it, and used a piece of strap as a limiter. I also made a pin on the back of the slide that goes into a bracket on the platform to hold it down when closed.

Used it on a couple trips now, holds a loaded 42L fridge quite well. Just need to keep the weight on hand when tilting it down , but it works quite well even without dampers.

IMG_20210415_195105.jpg
IMG_20210415_195147.jpg
IMG_20210411_193457.jpg
IMG_20210411_165545.jpg
IMG_20210411_165628.jpg

I could weld something like that but I don't think I could have designed it from scratch.
How much weight are those slides meant to support?

Last edited:
Just happened across your build thread- an absolute pleasure to read through and catch up on all of the work that you’ve done. Beautiful truck and as others have said, excellent design and engineering.

I could weld something like that but I don't think I could have designed it from scratch.
How much weight are those slides meant to support?

I design and commission modifications on assembly lines for a living and I like getting things done the simplest most effective ways 😄

They're rated at 60kg. My fridge weighs 13kg empty so gives me 47kg in beer 😉

Just happened across your build thread- an absolute pleasure to read through and catch up on all of the work that you’ve done. Beautiful truck and as others have said, excellent design and engineering.

Thank you very much 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom