Builds 1993 LJ79 from Malta (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, my name is David and I'm from the tiny island of Malta (for anyone who hasn't ever heard of Malta before, its in the middle of the Mediterranean sea, some 60km south of Sicily). I've had my Land Cruiser for the past 2 years, bought it completely un-modded and with 130k on the clock. It's an LJ79, which is very similar to the LJ78, but has a 2.8ltr 3L engine rather then the 2.4ltr 2L-T engine. The following is the list of stuff I've done to it till now, and other mods I'm planning on doing.

2" Ironman suspension lift
Castor correction bushes
33" BFG mud-terrain tyres on 10" -32 modular wheels
Snorkel
Turbo system off a 2L-T engine

Still to be done:
Intercooler
Gauges (EGT, water temp & oil pressure)
Winch bumper
Rear bumper

Now some photos.... :)

20141225_153805.jpg

20150117_141703.jpg

IMG_43082.JPG

IMG_4327.JPG

So that's what an LJ79 is! I had seen the designation before, but couldn't figure out what the difference was between it and the LJ78. I would definitely prefer the 79 over the 78 just to be rid of the 2L-TE.

Sweet Cruiser!

So that's what an LJ79 is! I had seen the designation before, but couldn't figure out what the difference was between it and the LJ78. I would definitely prefer the 79 over the 78 just to be rid of the 2L-TE.

Sweet Cruiser!

You loose a lot of power 3L vs 2LTE. So people turbo them anyhow. Same head, so it can still crack. Not really any different in the end IMHO. In fact, the 2LTE bottom end has tougher pistons designed for turbo....so better in that way.

Yes without the turbo its really sluggish! But with the turbo on its a totally different truck.. my mate has an lj73 with an intercooler & boosted and mine still feels better (also considering the difference in weight from LWB to SWB).. infact it feels like (but not so good as) a KZJ. Can't complain :)

beautiful cruiser, I've been yearning to go to Malta some day - maybe I'll write for some local advice.

Hey guys, thought I'd update this thread with the stuff I've done since I last posted in it. I had a lot of mechanical parts changed since I'm planning on some long travels so currently undergoing a mechanical overhaul. Following list is what I have changed till now:

Timing case & all timing parts
Water pump
Remanufactured fuel pump
0il pump
Pulleys (some completely new, some just changed bearings)
Engine mounts
Radiator & hoses
82 degree thermo
Clutch kit
Polyurethane bushes
Rebuild steering swivels
Wheel bearings
Brake discs
Brake master cylinder
Rebuild calipers

Also had some gauges installed in a custom 3D printed pod. Had to print it twice since the first one deformed in the sun, so had to change material. The gauges are turbo pressure, egt & water temp.

IMG-20170204-WA0004.jpeg

IMG_20170311_164417.jpg

My rear bumper also needed replacement since it got hit from underneath quite a few times so was looking crooked. Decided to remove it completely and just add simple 'bumper-ettes' to the chassis.

20161027_180137.jpg

IMG_20170311_163950.jpg

Currently also fabricating a front bumper. I designed some templates using CAD and had them cut on a cnc plasma and folded accordingly. Still need to assemble it though, hopefully by next week it'll be done.

IMG_20170309_185605.jpg

IMG_20170309_185720.jpg

IMG_20170309_185620.jpg

Also going for a water-air intercooler setup, basically replicating what you guys (sorry forgot the names) have done. Had the intercooler and pump ordered and fabricated a custom rad to go behind the grill. Waiting for the silicone hoses to arrive so i can start fabricating the pipe work.

IMG_20170311_113021.jpg

IMG_20170311_112824.jpg

IMG_20170213_212358.jpg

Looking great! I like the work you do. Rear bumper-ette's are a great idea; simple and effective.

Looking great! I like the work you do. Rear bumper-ette's are a great idea; simple and effective.

Thanks! Yeah they're really simple to fabricate and look really good aswell. Might add some protection to the rear sides though, some 5mm plate that braces to the bumperettes and under the sides to the chassis. Gotta finish my other stuff though first.

Want to ask you a question about your a/w intercooler setup if you don't mind. As you can see i'm practically copying what you did, and i'm currently figuring out how to mount the intercooler securely. Did you use the lower mounting thread or is it just hanging from the top (and holding with the pipe work) ? Thanks in advance!

Want to ask you a question about your a/w intercooler setup if you don't mind. As you can see i'm practically copying what you did, and i'm currently figuring out how to mount the intercooler securely. Did you use the lower mounting thread or is it just hanging from the top (and holding with the pipe work) ? Thanks in advance!

It's all hanging from the top. It works well this way, because it allows the intercooler to shift freely when the engine moves (idle vibration for example).

Make sure you mount your pump low in the system so it is easy to bleed the air out. That was my biggest mistake (I put mine up high).

It's all hanging from the top. It works well this way, because it allows the intercooler to shift freely when the engine moves (idle vibration for example).

Make sure you mount your pump low in the system so it is easy to bleed the air out. That was my biggest mistake (I put mine up high).

Great! Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom