1993 Land Cruiser with 6.5 Detroit diesel swap- Should I buy it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I’m new to the forum. I’ve been a Toyota pickup fan since I could drive. I’ve finally made my way from pickup, to Tacoma, to 4runner, and now I’m going to have 4 kids so I want a land cruiser.

Can y’all tell me if this looks like a good purchase? Appreciate it! See link below.

Me, I thought the 6.2 was better with the J intake in my 1984 GMC pick up. Know a guy who did that 6.5 swap locally in a different cruiser. He hated it. Anemic. Might have been the gearing he had in it. I would consider purchasing it for no more than HALF of what the asking price is. This is me. There is a butt for every seat though.

It will always have a problem, if it's a hobby and you can work on it yourself and you don't mind that then it's only a matter if the price is worth it.....which is entirely subjective as there isn't much in the way of comparables.

I've been spoiled with the Cruisers that I've purchased and the help I get when working on them. I dont have that much cash laying around, so I'll have to finance it meaning there will be interest from the bank. So if I'm paying that much, it has to be the way I want it so I'm not spending more money mods and random maintenance.

Runaway

That rear hatch rust 'repair' looks horrendous. One wonders if it reflects upon the care taken elsewhere...

It all depends on the buyer, i've had a few vehicles with the 6.2, 6.2 Turbo, 6.5 NA and 6.5 Turbo.
i've liked them all.
Its a perfectly suited motor for an 80 but if you aren't mechanically inclined you will have a harder time finding a mechanic to work on a semi-rare swapped diesel if something goes wrong.
They are pretty dang simple motors though and parts are readily available and pretty cheap all things considered.
Would I buy it? Yes
Would I buy it at that price? No, but I wouldn't buy any 80 at that price unless it had a suitcase with 15k in cash included in the rear seat.

Move the decimal place one position to the left in the price. That's what it's worth.

Run Forrest Run !!!! at any price

I think it might be a OK at $9000 if you have good knowledge of working on diesels.

Those GM diesels are never anyones first choice. Now if it had a Cummins, and was well sorted, I'd jump at it for $9000.

Girdle the bottom end, j intake, drive it like you stole it. Detroit Diesel builds these. They need really clean over filtered fuel based on my experience. One wire operation on my 6.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom