1993 HDJ80 Platform DIY build - Camping & Daily Hybrid use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The buildout is changing in a big way soon…

Picked up the dream campteq pop top used off the forums. Stoke is high!

B0414660-1CA6-4DF8-8047-28278B56026E.jpeg

D59B54DD-E0ED-4A07-9FBC-1C2F8DC69CC5.jpeg

ED4CB8C9-24EE-432D-9F16-95E5BFC417F1.jpeg

6CA99F68-068C-4B5C-A865-F98C98B73032.jpeg

Nice work man! I just threw a "single wide" drawer thing together for mine during the last 3 months. I had this weird as yet unidentified 5/8" plywood kicking around that I got super cheap back when cdx was like $60 per sheet. As I started working with it, I realized that it is garbage plywood. The veneer layer is about 2mm, none of the voids are filled. Good stuff for experimentation. I also decided to go non drawer slides with mine and used 3/4 x 3/4" uhmw sticks that are dadoed into the base plate and the bottom of the drawer boxes. My whole design was based upon having my fridge be on the floor of the cargo area instead of up on top of drawers. After a quick overnight test earlier in the month, I think a full platform makes much more sense.

Congrats on the Campteq too!

Chipping away at the Campteq. I spent day 01 cutting and grinding away the old sikaflex… wow that was a chore. But it is clean now. I have decided to keep the top bare aluminum. I am saying with a random orbital sander and hitting it lightly with re scotch brite. Looks amazing!

53DF6595-9EE1-4286-8F91-1F9792B709F1.jpeg

C1E2CB32-E679-4A78-BFE0-7AC1F5D29FC0.jpeg

1FFBAED2-F73D-44BA-954B-2009DDFBFB7E.jpeg

Great looking build. I'm interested to see what you do with the CampTeq top. Are you cutting the roof?

Thanks! Yes, I will be cutting the roof and doing the full pop top conversion. The next build with the campteq will be completely new and will try and focus on lightness as much as possible.

I've gone through a couple of iterations with my interior and the CampTeq. When I had the 2nd row removed, a long drawer on one side that doubled as a bottom bunk and step up into the bed was great. Now with all the kids and needing the 2nd row I had to go a different direction. Looks like you'll have of plenty of options and space.

I've gone through a couple of iterations with my interior and the CampTeq. When I had the 2nd row removed, a long drawer on one side that doubled as a bottom bunk and step up into the bed was great. Now with all the kids and needing the 2nd row I had to go a different direction. Looks like you'll have of plenty of options and space.

Hell yeh! I’m really excited to dig in. I have the campteq completely stripped at the moment… any tips or things that would be worth reworking while I put it back together with your experience in one?

Yours looks to be a newer model so no real advice from me. I have the 3rd or 4th one Eric made, and the only issue I've had was replacing the gas struts that lift the roof. I have part numbers from the ones I bought off Amazon, but there are probably many different options that would work. I ordered and have in storage a spare set of the Jeep hood latches in case those ever fail and have been discontinued.

Yours looks to be a newer model so no real advice from me. I have the 3rd or 4th one Eric made, and the only issue I've had was replacing the gas struts that lift the roof. I have part numbers from the ones I bought off Amazon, but there are probably many different options that would work. I ordered and have in storage a spare set of the Jeep hood latches in case those ever fail and have been discontinued.

Yeah mine was built in summer of 2021, so pretty new. Gas struts and everything Are still very strong so no worries there. I’m looking forward to putting countless nights in it and improving and tinkering as time goes on.

Bryce: You really did a great job with this setup and congrats on picking up a Campteq! I'm a fly fishing guide and I need to carry a bunch of gear and was starting to head down the truck path. But, seeing what you did, is giving me some new ideas. @ab1985 if you ever want to sell your campteq, let me know!!

Bryce: You really did a great job with this setup and congrats on picking up a Campteq! I'm a fly fishing guide and I need to carry a bunch of gear and was starting to head down the truck path. But, seeing what you did, is giving me some new ideas. @ab1985 if you ever want to sell your campteq, let me know!!

Thanks so much for the kind words and I’m glad I could help spark some ideas! If you need any help, feel free to reach out! Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom