1993 80 with serious stuttering... you know. Where should I spend my money first?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Edit: All fixed. It was the MAF

Wonderful folks, here’s the deal. Could use some help. I’ve searched high and low and understand all the things I should check, but wanted a order of bank account depletion priortization.

Current situation:
Full rebuilt engine/transmission , 10k on the clock.
Cap, roter, plugs, wires, fuel filter changed. 02’s have 10k on them. All other water and vacuum hoses replaced. EGR delete.

Problem:
The truck starts fine. Sounds like it’s lightly misfiring. As you accelerate, it will hesitate, no power... slam the accelerator and it will go, high RPM’s push you back in your seat, or........it won’t and lug a long making you feel like you should pul over to let people pass you. Sporadic and annoying.

This items I’ve seen in research to replace:
Wiring harness short
Fuel injectors
Fuel regulator
Fuel pump relay
Fuel pump
ECU
Bad ground.

What have you??? Most votes gives Toyota my money first.

Thanks in advance. Need it fixed before next weekends big camp.

Jeff

Last edited:
Gotta check the NSS barrel connector. Clean it then stuff with dielectric. I chased the same symptoms for a very aggravating 9 months until I found a post by @SUMMIT CRUISERS. It takes all of 15min to do and hopefully it's the fix for you too. Search mud for "NSS Barrel Connector"

Gotta check the NSS barrel connector. Clean it then stuff with dielectric. I chased the same symptoms for a very aggravating 9 months until I found a post by @SUMMIT CRUISERS. It takes all of 15min to do and hopefully it's the fix for you too. Search mud for "NSS Barrel Connector"

Will check. Thanks!

Ok. Going to check the NNS and buy a fuel pump and fuel sock for this weekends festivities. Any other recommendations???

Just do one thing at a time, starting with the cheapest, driving it after each. When I cleaned and stuffed my NSS barrel connector with dielectric, I had immediate results. I recommend trying the NSS first then drive it around the block. Then do the other items and drive after. Check back in and let us know how it all worked out. Good luck!

It wasn’t the NSS. Pulled the injectors today which I’ll replace.

Put is a fuel treatment. I had some water or something in mine. A couple bottles of heet with a couple tanks of gas made a huge difference. Brought it back to normal.

could also be the harness rubbing behind the glove box.

Ok. Going to check the NNS and buy a fuel pump and fuel sock for this weekends festivities. Any other recommendations???

If it runs good at full throttle then your problem is not fuel supply. WOT is the maximum feel demand.

I had what looks to be similar with same ideas mentioned.
For me, it turned out 1b the MAF / Air flow sensor. Fooled around for nearly 4 mos with it actin the way you describe. Threw NO codes too btw.
Been near 1yr later, no further probs.
94 FZJ

i have a spare air flow meter if you need one. i forgot those can cause crazy issues. you never pulled the screws out of it did you?

If it runs good at full throttle then your problem is not fuel supply. WOT is the maximum feel demand.

It’s bad even at full throttle. There is no power land that is good.

i have a spare air flow meter if you need one. i forgot those can cause crazy issues. you never pulled the screws out of it did you?

I did not take it apart. I read that warning. I think borrowing your air flow meter would be a huge help. Where do you live?

Where do you live?

man i am on the other side of the country from you. ask around in your local club and see if someone has one handy you could try? it only takes a few minutes to pop one off and can be done in a parking lot. tell someone you will buy them lunch if they meet up with you and just swap them and see if the problem moves would be the easy way out.

check the wiring harness for the o2 sensors, I had one that was poorly "repaired" by a shop before I bough the truck and the harness where it was repaired was all green with corrosion.

do you have any codes or just the symptoms with no codes??

check the wiring harness for the o2 sensors, I had one that was poorly "repaired" by a shop before I bough the truck and the harness where it was repaired was all green with corrosion.

do you have any codes or just the symptoms with no codes??

Code 26 on and off. Had a 25 at one point too. Those of course point to the 02’s but they are new. I checked the wiring harness yesterday, changed the fuel sock, pump, sent the injectors out for rebuild, replaced the ignition pack.

The only things Ill have left to replace is the MAF and ECU.

I also had codes 25 and 26 on and off. the wire repair was pretty far up the harness, looks like it was rubbing on the front drive shaft at some point and got chafed through. how did the pins in the o2 sensor connectors look, maybe some corrosion in the connectors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom