1989 fj62 cranks wont start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so here is the possibly unnecessary story. I removed my transmission and replaced the torque converter seal due to a leak. I finished bolting the transmission up last night and tried to start the truck and it will crank but will not start/idle. SO now I am trying to determine what I messed up in the process of removing the transmission. I don't think it is the Neutral position because there would be no reaction when I tried to start it. I don't think it is a spark problem because it will crank and I can tell there is some combustion. So that leaves fuel in my mind. So would my next steps be to jumper the fuel pump and see if it is pumping? Is there anything else in the transmission assembly that wont let the engine run?

Is the CEL lighting when the ignition is on but not cranking? No CEL may mean that the EFI main relay is out.
CEL good and cranking but no start, then jumpering the fuel pump is a good next step. If that works then your Circuit Opening relay may have died. A dead FPR may also give the symptoms you're seeing.

None of these things are connected to the transmission so if one of the above then just coincidence.

Did you remember to reconnect the plug for the NSS/reverse lights?

Is the CEL lighting when the ignition is on but not cranking? No CEL may mean that the EFI main relay is out.
CEL good and cranking but no start, then jumpering the fuel pump is a good next step. If that works then your Circuit Opening relay may have died. A dead FPR may also give the symptoms you're seeing.

None of these things are connected to the transmission so if one of the above then just coincidence.

Did you remember to reconnect the plug for the NSS/reverse lights?
I think I got everything plugged in.
Sorry not familiar with CEL to answer that question

I was looking in the fsm and most of that troubleshooting points towards the ignition system so I’m going to look into some of those things. Maybe the transmission dipstick pulled a plug wire or something goofy like that.

I was looking in the fsm and most of that troubleshooting points towards the ignition system so I’m going to look into some of those things. Maybe the transmission dipstick pulled a plug wire or something goofy like that.

CEL = check engine light. FSM provides directions on how to use the diagnostics of the CEL to isolate a problem. Jump the TE1 and E1 ports in the diagnostics box and with ignition on read the number of flashes of the CEL to decipher the code.

Update. Found the culprit. House cat climbing around the engine bay while it was in the garage with hood up knocked the intake hose off of the afm. Unmetered air caused it to die after cranking. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom