1983 Hj60 Pre Heat System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I'm having problems with the pre heat system on my HJ60. I recenlty replaced the glow plugs to solve a cold start problem, this worked fine for a few weeks but now the same problem has resurfaced.

My manual suggests checking the coolant temp sensor, glow plug relay, and timer mechanism. Can anyone tell me were the glow plug relay and timer mech. are located?

Cheers

The glow plug relay is in the engine compartment, on the passenges ide fender, on top. It says "glow plug relay ' on it. It has 5 wires in 2 plugs coming out of it.
The glow plug timer is in the passenger compartment, above the glove box (you need to take the glove box out). It says 'glow plug timer' on it.

The FSM shows how to test if they are functional.

There are 2 types of glow system, one that glows for a certain amount of time, and one that times the glowing according to the coolant temperature. Both wiring diagrams are in the FSM.
Do you have continuity at the plugs? Also, are you sure you have the correct plugs in?
Jan

Where I had issues was with connections to the metal rod that attaches to the glow plugs. Eventually I pulled it and used a thick guage (like 12) with holders that I crimped in. It reduced my glow time by about 1/2 it seemed (aka took much less glow) but at the same time my truck never one not started all winter long even at -10F a few times. Sometime it would take two glows but it always started...

Cheers guys,

I've confirmed continuity through the plugs, I just need to check the relays, most of the markings have worn off them so I couldn't figure what was what. If they are ok I'll try the switch.

Gez

In my HJ-60 one time ( wou long time ago ) I have an issue with my prehead system .. it way related with my batt status.. haven't enough charge to proper function of the prehead sysem

Result! Just finished installing a wilson switch, she started first time after being stood for 3 days.

Now if you can just point me in the direction of any threads relating to shut down problems I'll be sorted...................

OK now I'm confused. After 2 days of faultless starting its now doing the same thing i.e. won't start from cold. I've checked the switch all is ok. Suppose I'll have to start checking everything again. BTY is it normal for the tips of the glow plugs to be wet (i.e covered in what I assume is diesel).

Also as to the shut down problem it looks like the edic motor is at fault as the engine shuts down straight away once the stop lever is pulled, can these be repaired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom