1983 fj60 build up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bumper pics

well got to spend a few hrs this afternoon and evening working and decided to fab up the rear bumper. cost of steel was 160.00, hitch 38.00, tow rings 20.00. started with cutting the rear quarters out and fitting the rear quarter slides.
bumper1.jpg
bumper2.jpg
bumper3.jpg

bumper pics

once the quarters were cut leveled plumb fit the sliders and welded them solid. tripple checks for accuracy because grinding welds to redo sloppy work sucks. fit the frame inserts which will carry the frame load, gusseted the 90's between the main tube and sliders with 1/4 plate cut on 45. added a 2x3 piece of angle between the frame mounts to sit on and strengthen the rear crossmember. also served as welding points for the 6 inch wide plate cover so i have a nice step and a good tie in as i will add a swing out tire carrier later. will use 1 inch steel round bar as a spindle and use 1inch id/ 2 inch od dolly bearings inside a piece of 2 inch pipe. design of tire carrier will use 2x2x1/4 tubing.
bumper4.jpg
bumper5.jpg
bumper6.jpg

bumper pics

finished welding top plate, added 2 inch reciever hitch, and two tow anchors. everything fits great, i will angle and cap the slider ends, take a 45degree cut off each main tub end and cap with plate, drill the 1 inch hole for the round bar through and through weld her up, wash with soapy water dry and prime tomorrow. hopefully!!!!!!!!! I want to go to the RV show in richmond too so we will see. hope you enjoy the pics as much as i have had fun building and posting them.
bumper7.jpg
bumper8.jpg
bumper9.jpg

Great build! Great idea on the D-rings. How are you planning on addressing the rust on the body?

Great build! Great idea on the D-rings. How are you planning on addressing the rust on the body?
I will cut out the rusted through areas around the rear fenders and lower tailgate and replace with 16 guage sheet metal. all the other areas just had surface rust and i sanded a couple inches around the original rust spot and quickly sprayed with primer to seal. i will eventually treat all the arears with a rust inhibitor later. so many little things to work on i will save the body for last. i don't have the time, money or patience to remove the body from the frame like some of the brave and committed people here, which is why i took some time looking for a 60 without all the body cancer issues.
Thanks
Dan

got to do some work today. finished the cuts on the rear slides, 45's on the main tube, finished the welds, cleaned and primed. now just have to paint. I am welding the bumper to make it part of the truck so after paint will have final positionning and fit and then weld her up. finished exhaust sorry no pics. cut out old cat put in high flow cat. cut old flanges off and rewelded to new cat. factory connections and braket are nice and strong plus male female connection with copper gasket makes good seal. welded 2.5 inch pipe to outboard flange, added dynomax performance muffler center in offset out to run pipe high and tight with a turn down to finish it off. found a pleasant surprise when removed the rear brake drums seeing the brake shoes, spring kit, adjuster and brake cylinder had just ben replaced by PO. Wish he had done the axle seals because they both leak which made a mess of all the new stuff. so seals and bearings, and new emergency brake cable tomorrow.
bump1.jpg
bump2.jpg
bump3.jpg

the NAPA messed up my axle seals and bearings. the guy ordered the wrong bearings and got the wrong seals so there went my day of fixing the rear axle. so i spent the rest of the day building the sliders. materials are 2x4 tubing, 2x2 tube for the supports, 3/8 plate for the mounting surface, and used 2x6x1/8th plate for bottom bracing. hardest part of who thing was the angles. i used a 20 degree cut on the support braces but the front brace had a compound cut to match the angle on the frame as it cuts in toward the engine. it took an hour to get it right shaving a little at a time until it fit just right. forgot to reverse the compound cut on the opposite side so wasted a piece. capped the ends cleaned the metal and primed.
slide3.jpg
slide1.jpg
slide2.jpg

You don't mess around - nice work!

You don't mess around - nice work!

Thanks

I have played enough building bumpers and other things, made enough mistakes, screwed up enough cuts, welds, materials, money, etc. and learned that if your going to spend the $ and the time, build it right, build it strong, build it once and make it yours. I still screw up often but my designs and ultimately my projects are getting better. Wish i had the tools to work with round pipe though.

Lighthouse- If you want my opinion, you shouldn't spend so much time sitting aroung trying to decide which mods to do on your rig- you need to just jump in there and get something done.

;) Just kidding- nice work, and welcome to Mud! This thread is making me look lazy.

thanks

honestly, i would not be doing as much as i am if it were not for this site. i have always enjoyed working on trucks and mud has given me the chance to share things i do as i go along and thats very cool in my eyes. so props to all the guys here and the crap everyone goes through to make there rig.

before the rain started today i took some pics of the exhaust i spoke about last and took a pic of the new e-brake cable. toyota dealer part new $99.00 and put it on. i just left the back disconnected due to the rear axle work i need to do. got fed up with napa so ordered a rear axle bearing kit from jtoutfiitters JTOutfitters.com | Land Cruiser and Toyota 4wd Info, Vehicles, Parts and More
i got my birfield from them when i did the front and since they are in NC shipping is quick and not as expensive. they don't have a ready made kit but all the parts are there. got the insp.cover gasket, oil seals, bearings, washers, c-clips, spider gear bolt for $81.00 ship for $10 and will be here by mid week. anyway i have a delima when i took the console off found all the retaining tabs were broken. does anyone have any thoughts on a good console?
muffler1.jpg
muffler2.jpg
muffler3.jpg

here is the ebrake cable
ebrake.jpg

OME excitement

just got a call from fed ex, they will be here tomorrow with my OME heavy kit. i will take pics of the kit, before, after, and what the old componets look like. old system is original springs with add a leaf and lift shackles. its like xmas in feb. my wife is mad because she thinks i should have spent the money on something else more practicle as she calls it. oh well we have been married for 12 years she should be used to it by now.

My shift lock is coming today will throw up a pic of that too!

I am amazed by the amount of work you are putting into your truck. Awesome! I really enjoy following along- I can't wait to see your rig when it is done. Are you going to keep the stock color?

One of my favorites.

I am amazed by the amount of work you are putting into your truck. Awesome! I really enjoy following along- I can't wait to see your rig when it is done. Are you going to keep the stock color?

One of my favorites.

Thanks

The work is way for me to keep my sanity and at the end i get a cool ride too. Yes keeping the original color. I did not like it at first and was going to repaint it tan/sand or whatever it is called, but it has kind of grown on me. i think with nice paint with a good clear, offset by black rims, bumpers and slidders it will look cool. i am thinking of doing the rockers in bed liner too, but i am still on the fence about that.

My OME came today, just waiting on the greasable shackles, hopefully next week. will take pics tonight of what i have.

here are pics of the shift lock i got from http://www.simjack.com/ jack is awsome to deal with. $56.50 to my door. i am still deciding how to mount it. going to take some figuring. also the pics of my OME. got the kit from kyle at High Country 4x4 Center - Boone, NC he has been awesome to work with. both companies have great customer service. hyle had the best price on the lift i could find and was willing to work with me to exchange the dystar bushings for the ome ones. they sell all the arb stuff might be worth the consideration if your in the market. the anti-inversion kits are backordered so will be getting the greasable shackles. we are supposed to get an ice storm tonight and tomorrow and rain on sat and sunday so don't know if will get any work done this week.
shiftlock.jpg
lift1.jpg
lift2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom