1980 Jeep J-20, any good? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Again I will turn to Mud for advice, you all have not failed me yet.
I'm interested in a "cheap" dump truck, looking at this to purchase.

Jeep J-20, 1980. Has a rebuilt 360, (with 20k on rebuild). It is an auto trainy. Owners sign says it is an ex military vehicle. Has new tires, solid frame, decent, not rotting out, body. Pretty good F&R bumpers.

Owner says 4wheel works, drives good, hydraulic dump works, But needs mufflers and ignition, also says it needs the brakes bled better. He wants $1600.

Any advice on what I should look for on this?
Is this what is referred to as a Gladiator?
Any advice is appreciated...Is this a good make to get?
I am pretty sure it has 4wheel drum brakes.

Check out the pics, I am going to meet with him on Tues. afternoon to look at & drive it.
front j20.JPG
interior J20.JPG
dside j20.JPG

More pics

Thanks for taking the time to check this out all!
engine j20.JPG
rear j20.JPG
pside j20.JPG

Sam,

This is a "J-truck"--earlier Jeep pickups (60s-70s) were known as Gladiators but that was dropped for the J-series in later years.

Overall, looks pretty good for the year and make/model. If it drives strong and the dump bed works well, and you won't have to spend a ton of money to get it on the road, I'd give him $1500.

These J20s came in several configurations (see this link to decode the VIN: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/vin_72-80.htm ).

I have a 79 J20 with a 360 V8/4-speed manual and an 8400# GVW rating.

If the rust isn't bad (worst spots are along the frame/bed contact line right about where the 2 colors on that one meet--I see some rust peeking through on the left rear in the photo; and the floorboards), it's a good solid truck in general.

The AMC 360 is a great motor. Axles will be a mixture of Danas (F+R 44s on the higher-GVW-rated trucks. Now, I'm not a dumptruck expert, but for much dump work, I'd make sure it's a heavier-GVW model (6250 or 8400 #). Check the brakes too; I seem to recall it's front disc, rear drum but I may be wrong.

Hope this helps.

Jim

'90 FJ62; '70 FJ40; 79 Jeep J20; '55 Willys M38A1D; '97 Jeep TJ

Thanks for the input Jim. I will follow up on those points...

I had a Waggoneer in hi school. SUV version of J20. Biggest POS I've ever driven. It was always broken. You may have better luck with this rig.

I had a Waggoneer in hi school. SUV version of J20. Biggest POS I've ever driven. It was always broken. You may have better luck with this rig.

Can you give some examples of what broke?

thanks...

Well, it's been a few years (OK, 23). I remember u-joints for sure. Lots of little things, no engine replacement or anything big. I was not mechanically inclined, so we kept having to take it to the shop. The place where we bought it wasn't very scrupulous.
My bro told me years later that the saleman talked Mom out of a Land Cruiser!! ouch.

Well, I am pretty psyched to drive it today & check it out more.

From the input I got here and from other friends seems to be a good deal, (well we will see how it drives etc.). If its good I am gonna jump on it.

Thanks for the input everyone.

They can be gas hogs, but no worse than cruisers. Cool trucks, a friend has one on 35's, pretty neat.

Yeah, on the for sale sign the guy wrote 55mpg!! as a joke.

I learned how to drive in one of those. It was the Honch package. Great truck, father never had any problems with it.

Check the dump mechnism out. If the motor or pump is blown it can cost what you will bay for the truck. It looks like it was set up to spread sand or sand salt mix. That bed setup is common in the Carson City, Reno, NV area.

Drove it, needs some work but I like it.
Door frame says 8600gvw!!

Truck was from Guantanimo bay...ARMY vehicle originally.

I think it is a Dana 44 front with Dana 60 Full floater in the rear.

I offered him $1,250 and he accepted!! I am so psyched cause I needed a dump to build a road but I never thought I was going to find one for this cheap, was not even really looking because I thought I would not have a budget for it until a year or more from now.

I learned how to drive in one of those. It was the Honch package. Great truck, father never had any problems with it.

Check the dump mechnism out. If the motor or pump is blown it can cost what you will bay for the truck. It looks like it was set up to spread sand or sand salt mix. That bed setup is common in the Carson City, Reno, NV area.

Dump works!!!

offset rear axle?

I love that AMC 360. Family had one on the farm. While the rear axle may have been a little weak otherwise it was a dam good truck.

Drove it, needs some work but I like it.
Door frame says 8600gvw!!

Truck was from Guantanimo bay...ARMY vehicle originally.

I think it is a Dana 44 front with Dana 60 Full floater in the rear.

I offered him $1,250 and he accepted!! I am so psyched cause I needed a dump to build a road but I never thought I was going to find one for this cheap, was not even really looking because I thought I would not have a budget for it until a year or more from now.

Sounds and looks like a great buy! Bed's worth that!

I would have done it ,SOMETIMES I'm a sucker for Dana axles, and although not a Chrysler man I tink it does have a TH400 tranny...hint ...hint...

I had a 74 J20 with the 401. I loved that truck. AMC v8s have a low oil pressure problem that is only cured by a high volume oil pump. I don't think that the low oil pressure really hurts these engines though because my buddy's has 180k and still going strong. One thing to check is the rocker arms. The stock are aluminum and are prone to breaking. so if they are aluminum, get steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom